NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Default Vertical or Horizontal ???

Posted By: Jason L

So, here's perhaps a rather pedestrian question for the group, but I was wondering just the same...without considering the design itself

Do you prefer cards with vertical presentation (such as 1957)?
or
card sets with horizontal orientation (such as 1955 Bowman or 1960 Topps)?

I find the horizontal orientation annoying, because whether or not you like graded cards, cards are usually displayed vertically (sheets, slabs, whatever).

...Now THERE'S a GREAT IDEA!!! New grading slabs with flips on top of horizontal cards!!!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I love the 1955 Topps set. Probably my favorite set from that era because of the horizontal layout and vibrant colors.

But I like it when sets mix it up as well (some vertical, some horizontal) like the 1952 Topps set. it would have been nice to see more star cards in the horizontal format from that set, like the Johnny Mize. You almost forget there are horizontal cards in there.

I think if the play pose calls for a horizontal layout, then its nice to it.
So I guess I'm saying I like horizontal better.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Mike,

I agree with you that the horizontal format works well with certain plays, for instance Jackie Robinson sliding into 2nd to break up a double-play. Unfortunately, a card like that was never made.

A great card using the horizontal format is in the '53 Bowman where Pee Wee Reese is making a throw from near second in an effort to make a double-play.

However, in general vertical format is better. Also, our hobby supplies and the grading cos. seem to favor this format as well.

Peter C.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I agree, player poses do favor a vertical format cards. It is a nice surprise though when a set that is primarily vertical format throws a horizontal pose or two in there.

I think in the case of the 1953 Bowman set the Reese is the only one correct?

I remember as a kid a 1991-92 Score or Fleer Sammy Sosa card, when he was on the White Sox, that had a horizontal format. I think for that reason only, it was the best looking card in a awful set.

Also, lets not forget the 1971 Topps Thurman Munson. One of my all time favorites

I guess if a card company notices early on that an image would look good horizontally, it usual works out with impressive results.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Like the rest of you, if it's a good design and fits the image, do it!

However, here's this lefthander's dilemma with horizontal format: Sometimes I "thumb" through a group of cards -- you know, taking a stack in one hand and using your thumb to push them into the other hand. (yes, they're in baggies or toploaders...usually ) However, if the card numbers on the back have been lined up correctly, then horizontal cards usually end up turned around 180* and facing away from me, i.e., the picture/text is upside down (us southpaws thumb opposite handed from you righties.) On sets with mostly horiztonal formats this is somewhat easily remedied, but for sets that mix it up it is a big annoyance. If I change the offending cards around to face me then I can't search by card number easily, as the number is on the bottom! Especially annoying when they are in card boxes. Anybody else experience this? Trite, I know, but I needed to get this off my chest.