NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Mat.thew Zim.mer.man

Default Opinions needed; when seller renegs

Recently did a buyitnow on ebay on a t206 card that was newly listed at just under 500 with a VCP value of over 800.

A day later we get a cancel notice and no message.

Upon contacting seller we were told it was a software error; we were of course refunded and that was that.

The seller is a very well-known respected and liked dealer and it didn't cross our mind to leave a negative or anything of the sort because we know these things can happen as a seller. We have met him at shows and he is all class. So we let it go (our only option lol) ...

The ironic twist is we failed to deliver a card (right around the same time) due to a pricing error and were chastised by the buyer to an extreme extent. Berated. And of course a negative left for us too. The buyer is also a well known and liked dealer/collector ...
We were told deliver the card 'or else' and this is the warm-ups.

Thoughts?

TPHLC

here to #1 have fun #2 buy cards #3 sell a few
Old 09-05-2017, 08:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I had someone cancel 2 auction wins of mine not long ago, that they agreed to on buy it nows. I gave them 2 negatives (their first ones) and moved on. Life is too short to go around all negative minded. Take care of it and move on, is my advice.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:42 AM
Robert Williams

I too, have had issues such as yours. I gave away a 1954 Bowman Ted Williams due to an Ebay "glitch" and was expected and did indeed, deliver the card. But you are right....Giving the seller a pass, when you are held to the same standards when you sell, is not right. Seller deserves a NEG.....you surely would have received one if the roles were reversed.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:00 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I believe ebays terms and conditions state once a sales is completed, ie paid for, the seller is bound to a legal contract. When is it carelessness, software glitches, or technical issues?

Is this enforceable? We'll, that is certainly beyond my paygrade. I'm guessing it will only take one lawsuit to establish the answer, and susequently have ebays legalese rewritten to help sellers.....or buyers

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-05-2017, 12:06 PM

I bought a $25 card on a BIN. The seller messaged me that he could not find the card and thought that it must have been sold in his physical store and the ebay listing wasn't taken down yet. He refunded my money very quickly and left me positive feedback. I did not leave any feedback. This wasn't a big enough deal to get too upset about.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre

Last edited by Rich Falvo; 09-05-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I've had an issue with one seller, Deans Cards. I say the name because it is what it is. The problem was I did a Buy It Now on ebay as soon as the card was listed and paid for it at the same time. The next day I get a refund and was told the card sold on their website. Now this can be exactly what happened and I did get a refund but it was a card I had been searching for many years. I didn't leave any feedback in a case such as this. I understand many sellers have websites and ebay stores with the same cards listed and this kind of thing happens. The only thing is, that it's very difficult to forget.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 09-05-2017, 02:26 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I've had an issue with one seller, Deans Cards. I say the name because it is what it is. The problem was I did a Buy It Now on ebay as soon as the card was listed and paid for it at the same time. The next day I get a refund and was told the card sold on their website. Now this can be exactly what happened and I did get a refund but it was a card I had been searching for many years. I didn't leave any feedback in a case such as this. I understand many sellers have websites and ebay stores with the same cards listed and this kind of thing happens. The only thing is, that it's very difficult to forget.
I won a card from Kruk Cards in an eBay auction. It sold for $380, after a similar card had sold for $525 two weeks earlier. Kruk cancelled the next day, saying the card had been "listed in error" and that they didn't have it any longer. I left them a neg and never did any business with them again.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:36 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I had a seller cancel my sale after it was paid for, I neg`d him and moved on.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:49 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I won a card from Kruk Cards in an eBay auction. It sold for $380, after a similar card had sold for $525 two weeks earlier. Kruk cancelled the next day, saying the card had been "listed in error" and that they didn't have it any longer. I left them a neg and never did any business with them again.
Same seller, I bought a pallet of uncut sheets (like 500) and krukcards said they lost them and refunded my money. It took them about a week to realize they weren't in the warehouse anymore. I buy very sparingly from them, like once every 5 years.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:03 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Falvo View Post
I bought a $25 card on a BIN. The seller messaged me that he could not find the card and thought that it must have been sold in his physical store and the ebay listing wasn't taken down yet. He refunded my money very quickly and left me positive feedback. I did not leave any feedback. This wasn't a big enough deal to get too upset about.
I bought a 1916-D dime cash from a storefront dealer once and I had to email him a few days later to tell him my coin was still on his website.

Last edited by Santo10Fan; 09-05-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:22 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Same seller, almost same issue. I had a 4-figure card in my watchlist that went on sale so I quickly did a BIN. Was told the card was "no longer in their inventory" and had my money refunded. I figured they didn't mean to discount said card and made up a lie to get out of the situation. So I left a negative. If they had been honest, I would not have had a problem. Almost all of their NEGs are the same issue. And of course, the card that was "missing" was back on ebay a month later. I won't deal with dishonest sellers.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 09-05-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Scott Russell

As a seller I have unfortunately had the "oops I sold it live" situation, I think twice. I normally am very good about updating my ebay store while at a show, but occasionally I get too busy and don't get back to a given card, It sucks when it happens and I usually offer an additional discount on any replacement item as an apology.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-06-2017, 04:22 AM
Glyn Parson

Default unfair

to just unilaterally give a seller a negative for canceling a sale is BS. Sellers are humans and can make mistakes. Holding people to the impossible standard of perfection is a pile of horse manure. Hope all those who have done so with out proper provocation are perfect at their jobs and don't get a strike at work for a possible innocent mistake. After you collect more info a negative may be warranted but not simply because an error was made. Those instances where the card gets relisted at higher values obviously warrants a negative as does someone where this happens repeatedly.

Last edited by glynparson; 09-06-2017 at 04:30 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
to just unilaterally give a seller a negative for canceling a sale is BS. Sellers are humans and can make mistakes. Holding people to the impossible standard of perfection is a pile of horse manure. Hope all those who have done so with out proper provocation are perfect at their jobs and don't get a strike at work for a possible innocent mistake. After you collect more info a negative may be warranted but not simply because an error was made. Those instances where the card gets relisted at higher values obviously warrants a negative as does someone where this happens repeatedly.
Some are honest mistakes and others are BS Glynn. The negs I gave were for 2 canceled sales because the seller said they were told the cards were fake. Then they relisted them again individually and with different prices. Also, they used an ebay id that was almost identical to their original one. Some sellers deserve negs for their actions.....a few don't. But giving them a free for all pass is BS too.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Mostly agree with this statement. I accidentally listed a large lot of vintage Star Wars toys with a $9.99 BIN...it was supposed to be an auction. When you use ebay's listing software it always stays with the last template you used, I forgot I had listed some postcards with BINs. The person who hit the BIN was not happy when I told him that it was clearly a mistake, but he told me he was going to sue me, that ebay's listings were a contract, et cetera. I apologized, but he still left me a negative for what was CLEARLY a mistake. The lot ended up selling for over $500 when I relisted it correctly.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:52 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Some are honest mistakes and others are BS Glynn. The negs I gave were for 2 canceled sales because the seller said they were told the cards were fake. Then they relisted them again individually and with different prices. Also, they used an ebay id that was almost identical to their original one. Some sellers deserve negs for their actions.....a few don't. But giving them a free for all pass is BS too.
I agree with Leon, but I do really hate giving negative feedback. If the proof is there, then yes, it's a negative. My problem is sometimes the proof does not show its self in time for proper feedback. In those cases, I usually leave no feedback but a silent customer is worse than a complaining customer. A silent customer usually never comes back but a complaint can be worked on. I'm in the auto repair business and I jump at the chance to fix a complaint or issue that one of my customers may have. At least I know they will be back for more work but if someone has an issue and never tells me or gives me a chance to fix the issue, that's a customer lost for good.

I've been lucky you could say. Nearly all transactions go well. I do however stay away from "red flags" and "to good to be true" auctions and sales. It also helps that I'm always willing to pay a fair price while not looking for any cherries on top.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 09-06-2017, 05:08 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Mostly agree with this statement. I accidentally listed a large lot of vintage Star Wars toys with a $9.99 BIN...it was supposed to be an auction. When you use ebay's listing software it always stays with the last template you used, I forgot I had listed some postcards with BINs. The person who hit the BIN was not happy when I told him that it was clearly a mistake, but he told me he was going to sue me, that ebay's listings were a contract, et cetera. I apologized, but he still left me a negative for what was CLEARLY a mistake. The lot ended up selling for over $500 when I relisted it correctly.
Sorry, I would have been peeved as well.. When I list an item I review it just in case.. Once you hit that "List It" option to me your liable..
Old 09-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Sorry, I would have been peeved as well.. When I list an item I review it just in case.. Once you hit that "List It" option to me your liable..
Really? You would have been "peeved" at a clear mistake? Would you also have threatened to sue me?