NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-19-2015, 04:40 PM
Bill Potter

Default How to UNDERSTAND current Topps cards

I am completely out of the loop with Topps current production. I understand Topps is the ONLY company to produce bb cards now? Topps has more than one set of cards each year obviously.
I want a 2015 Bryce Harper but when I type that in ebay I get an ungodly amount of cards! How do you find just the REGULAR current production Topps? Is there such a thing?
Thanks.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:09 PM
Steven Finley

If base Topps is strictly what you are looking for he is #207. Add that to your search input and it should clear it out for you.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:17 PM
Bill Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
If base Topps is strictly what you are looking for he is #207. Add that to your search input and it should clear it out for you.
thanks! Exactly what i needed to know
Old 11-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

just incidentally the topps "chrome" and bowman "chrome" cards typically look better in my opinion. the topps "paper" and topps "chrome" will have the same pic, the chrome is just on a bit nicer stock. same story with bowman, but the pic is different than the topps product.

IMHO, the nicest looking cards out this year is the topps stadium club set. it has a nice candid portrait of harper. not an action shot, but full bleed photo with nice stock. unobtrusive lettering, etc.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:45 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Topps is also not the only company to produce baseball cards. There is a new reincarnation of Leaf, and Panini also makes multiple sets. Those companies just don't have the MLB license to show players in uniforms with logos or use team logos on the cards. But some people will also call the Topps set the base set or paper set or flagship set.

2015 Topps #207.1 - Bryce Harper (Base)
Courtesy of COMC.com
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:20 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
just incidentally the topps "chrome" and bowman "chrome" cards typically look better in my opinion.
I'll second this. In hand a chrome (and in particular a chrome refractor) looks fantastic. Base refractors will run you barely more than a base will.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-TOPPS-C...QAAOSwHnFV1pis
Old 11-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
I am completely out of the loop with Topps current production. I understand Topps is the ONLY company to produce bb cards now? Topps has more than one set of cards each year obviously.
I want a 2015 Bryce Harper but when I type that in ebay I get an ungodly amount of cards! How do you find just the REGULAR current production Topps? Is there such a thing?
Thanks.
Was happy to read this and see I'm not the only one who has no idea how to find a regular baseball card anymore.

Last year I got to thinking just maybe I should have at least one Jeter, Kershaw, deGrom, and a few other guys. Then I took a look on eBay and was like, I don't even know where I am! It was like being in a Starbucks and just wanting a plain old coffee.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/

Last edited by jason.1969; 11-19-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:51 AM
Rich Klein

That's why in today's new card world -- you almost need an Beckett OPG subscription.,
Old 11-20-2015, 08:19 AM
Al Richter

Default Understanding Current Cards

I retain a card whisperer
Old 11-20-2015, 09:23 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I retain a card whisperer
Are card whisperers expensive and has it worked for you?
Old 11-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Buy a few packs and study what you get
Old 12-01-2015, 09:39 PM

What I want to know is when and how they lost creativity for set designs.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:19 AM
E®© Eńlø

Location: Home of the 11-Time World Champion St. Louis Cardinals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
What I want to know is when and how they lost creativity for set designs.
Topps ran out all the other card companies from MLB so now they don't have to make cool looking sets or have creative designs on cards. In fact, they don't even have to number them correctly or put refractor designations on any cards. They keep adding to the number of sets and parallels of each so they can make all the money in the baseball card market, and you know why? Because they CAN and everyone still buys them anyway.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:44 AM

TradingCardDB.com and CardBoardConnection.com will break down each brand in detail, then you can head over to JunkBay for what you need...
Old 01-05-2016, 07:34 AM

The baseball card market reminds me of the Hammock District from the Simpsons.

Topps
Topps Heritage
Topps Chrome
Topps Redundant 1
Topps Redundant 2
Topps Redundant 3
Topps Redundant High End
Topps Redundant High End 2
Topps Redundant High End 2.1 (not quite 3)
Topps Redundant High End 3

Etc. etc. etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsbad8GEW78
Old 01-05-2016, 09:42 AM
Al Richter

Default Topps

Such negativity. Lighten up some.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:07 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
It was like being in a Starbucks and just wanting a plain old coffee.
Haha
Old 01-12-2016, 08:54 AM
Jay Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
just incidentally the topps "chrome" and bowman "chrome" cards typically look better in my opinion. the topps "paper" and topps "chrome" will have the same pic, the chrome is just on a bit nicer stock. same story with bowman, but the pic is different than the topps product.

IMHO, the nicest looking cards out this year is the topps stadium club set. it has a nice candid portrait of harper. not an action shot, but full bleed photo with nice stock. unobtrusive lettering, etc.
Actually, this is a very good thread and summarizes (so far) what I have been thinking for years about modern baseball cards. I collected from wax packs from 1975-79 and then bought complete sets from 1980-84...and then that was it. Choices at the time, post 1980, were three different card companies, so I always went with what appealed to me the most from a design standpoint, which was often Fleer (loved the team logos on the fronts of the cards) or Donruss. Have tried to get back into modern card collecting several times since about 1994, but it has not lasted long at all; mostly because of the sheer number of product available. Now that Topps has the "license," it really does not help matters, as there is still (seemingly) a TON of product, and that includes Panini's foray into the game. Do you buy Topps "regular," chome, Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Panini specials, Donruss ???

At least my local hobby shop owner is always very nice and patient with me when I visit, as I ask him:
1. What's the best product for you currently (what's moving)?
2. What's not moving?
3. What's the nicest looking product currently?

Evidently Panini's products, even without the full license, do VERY well. The hobby shop owner told me he has a customer that buys 60-80 boxes of a particular product every year. WOW.

I always end up gravitating to whatever modern card set features older players (or players I grew up with), so maybe the current game look and feel has left me behind?
Old 01-12-2016, 07:37 PM
Mike

Topps is a great investment. I just got a 2015 Topps BB Set for Christmas at Target for around $ 50, I bought a 1988, 1989 and 1990 set for $ 5.00 each.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Al Richter

Default Topps And Fleer

I have a full Fleer run 1959 to 2007. That includes a bunch of logo, patch, cloth and other weird sets from the 60s and 70s, as documented on the Fleer Sticker Blog.

For Topps I have kept buying the base sets and any traded sets to keep the full run, 48 forward, going

For a diversion I have also done all the Heritage sets and updates. Up to 2011 I also did the Heritage variations like I did with the older Topps base sets, but then the planned scarcity just got too crazy. I think the Heritage sets are fun, especially if you collected their older counterparts

I collected the initial Donruss, Upper Deck and Sportflics sets, but did not continue with them

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-13-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:59 AM
Jim Parker

I highly recommend the Heritage sets...perfect for vintage collectors to get old designs with new players. Of course i am biased as i sell exclusively heritage.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:20 AM
Rich Klein

I have always said Heritage is always my favorite brand of the year and in he 15 or so years of Heritage, Topps has one a good job keeping the brand going.

Could there be improvements? Of course, but overall -- Heritage brings back the memories of the original with today's players and a few inserts and autographs featuring the older player -- including in many cases, those retired players who never signed before

RIch