NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Ben North

Default 91 Topps Nolan Ryan?

I just got the card in the mail today from a trade. I thought it was a 91 Topps #1 Nolan Ryan missing the magenta(red) on the back. Now I am not sure what it is because the paper stock is different in color on the back. Anyone know what it is?
Edited to add that the back of the missing red card has a very light yellow on it. I took it into my black light room and the yellow ink on the back lightly glowed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3593.jpg (78.2 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3592.jpg (78.6 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3591.jpg (80.1 KB, 386 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 11-06-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Jason Albregts

Possibly a card cut from a box bottom?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Ben North

After a lot of testing/looking I think I figured out what it is. It is a regular 1991 Topps #1 Nolan Ryan missing the magenta on the back. For some strange reason it has a very light yellow over the back. The yellow is much easier to see in the picture than in hand.

Topps used at least 2 different yellow inks when making the 91 Topps cards. 1 glows under black light and 1 does not. Similar to the magenta on the backs that does the same thing under black light. After looking through about 50 cards under black light I found every possible combination of glowing not glowing.

The Ryan error card does not glow yellow on the front but the light yellow on the back does glow. I found several regular cards that the yellow did not glow on the front but the magenta on the back did.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Steve Birmingham

Wow, someone else looks for that? I figured I was the only one.

I've been sort of working on a set each way. Plus there's a third back version that doesn't so much glow as react with a very deep red color.

I didn't know about the yellow on the front.....Darn, now I have to go through the "extras" all over again.

Have you found any of the ones where the front gloss glows a light greenish color? Or ones with cardboard stock that reacts slightly? I've only found a couple of each.

I'm surprised to see yellow on the back, I can't see any reason they'd use it. But then there's a lot of stuff Topps did that just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Steve B
Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Ben North

I noticed the darker red backs also. The yellow glowing on the front is most noticeable in the logo in the 40. The 91 Topps are crazy when it comes to the ink. The regular card in the picture is strange also, not only does the yellow glow on the front but so does the red along with most of the front of the card. But the back does not glow.

I collect the strange and weird. Just wish it was a Wade Boggs error instead of Nolan Ryan.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:09 PM

Default 1991 Topps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I noticed the darker red backs also. The yellow glowing on the front is most noticeable in the logo in the 40. The 91 Topps are crazy when it comes to the ink. The regular card in the picture is strange also, not only does the yellow glow on the front but so does the red along with most of the front of the card. But the back does not glow.

I collect the strange and weird. Just wish it was a Wade Boggs error instead of Nolan Ryan.
Sorry for reprising an old thread but this is exactly what I was referring to in another thread when I indicated the 1991 set was experimental for numerous variations and alot of different printing (ink with a UV brightener and ink without a brightener), packaging (last of the gum) and pack issues (packs found in both cello & wax).

Regarding the glowbacks and usage of ink - I always thought that Topps used 2 types of red ink - both with and without a brightener. Maybe they did the same thing with the yellow ink and / or other inks in the set. I have never checked.....

My only frame of reference is the Desert Shield set.....

Z

Z
Old 03-07-2016, 06:58 PM
Sean Sullivan

Geez...every time I think I am finally done with the '91 Topps set...
Old 03-08-2016, 07:43 AM
Al Richter

Default 1991

Sean-- if by done you mean a master set with every possible front and back variant of every card, it's not happening