NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-13-2016, 04:29 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Much appreciated, Jake. Thank you.
I'm surprised you didn't want more input Eric.....
Old 08-13-2016, 04:32 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
sure they are MILESTONES for the player, and celebration points for an individual's lengthy career. My entire argument has been that hitting a milestone doth not necessarily carry with it some level of prowess. There is no such a thing as a "3000 hit player" as not all hits are created equal. There are plenty of hitters better than many on the 3000 hit club who had long careers that were far more productive.

In a nutshell, I'm just saying that getting to a milestone doesn't make you a better player than some other who failed to reach it. We have to look deeper below the surface.

ETA: the OP asked if 3000 hits was overrated, and yes I tend to think that ,as an indicator of player performance, it IS!
I was never arguing with you. And I agree with what I consider to be the salient point of your post. For example, Lou Gehrig did not amass 3,000 hits or 500 home runs. Does this make him any less of a player? Of course not. Was he better than Ichiro? I certainly think so.

All I was trying to say is that achieving 3,000 hits is pretty special. Perhaps we should all just enjoy the accomplishment instead of trying to "win" a discussion that somehow devolved into the polarized argument this thread has become.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 08-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
I was never arguing with you. And I agree with what I consider to be the salient point of your post. For example, Lou Gehrig did not amass 3,000 hits or 500 home runs. Does this make him any less of a player? Of course not. Was he better than Ichiro? I certainly think so.

All I was trying to say is that achieving 3,000 hits is pretty special. Perhaps we should all just enjoy the accomplishment instead of trying to "win" a discussion that somehow devolved into the polarized argument this thread has become.
I tend to think ,for many in this discussion anyway, that the "polarization" existed before. If I had known so many folks would turn this into some personal vendetta against the OP (and vice-versa) I probably would have stayed away, but by the time that became apparent to me, I was already neck deep in it! lol
Old 08-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I tend to think ,for many in this discussion anyway, that the "polarization" existed before. If I had known so many folks would turn this into some personal vendetta against the OP (and vice-versa) I probably would have stayed away, but by the time that became apparent to me, I was already neck deep in it! lol
Nick the OP posts these type of threads to cause problems. Just pull up his profile and look at the threads he has started, you will then understand the problem.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:13 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Nick the OP posts these type of threads to cause problems. Just pull up his profile and look at the threads he has started, you will then understand the problem.
Bravos: You can look at bnorth's posts which are always critical of me and you will see many posts from other posters (except CMIZE) in those threads which he referencing which are just fine with my posts, however he ALWAYS has a problem and likes to stir the pot. Its not like he is neutral in the matter. You will now understand the problem. I not commenting about the subject matter of the thread but when people quote nonsense I will set the record straight.

Starting a thread to make a baseball argument isnt a bad thing by the way. I thought people like baseball here. Its not like what some other posters who tend to bring up politics etc. I not see bnorth jump on people bringing up presidential candidates but if its a baseball argument, then its the worst thing in the world i guess.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-13-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:21 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Bravos: You can look at bnorth's posts which are always critical of me and you will see many posts from other posters (except CMIZE) in those threads which he referencing which are just fine with my posts, however he ALWAYS has a problem and likes to stir the pot. Its not like he is neutral in the matter. You will now understand the problem. I not commenting about the subject matter of the thread but when people quote nonsense I will set the record straight.

Starting a thread to make a baseball argument isnt a bad thing by the way. I thought people like baseball here. Its not like what some other posters who tend to bring up politics etc. I not see bnorth jump on people bringing up presidential candidates but if its a baseball argument, then its the worst thing in the world i guess.
Can't you shut up for one minute? Please, please, go away. You are a fungus....
Old 08-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
No worries, brother. I appreciate you weighing in. You're right about the friction already existing. There are quite a few dynamics in place that could be improved upon. This, of course, is no fault of yours. Have a great weekend.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:45 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
...Starting a thread to make a baseball argument isnt a bad thing by the way. I thought people like baseball here...
Hi, Jake. I hope this finds you well.

You're right as it pertains to the points I quoted above. However, there are some members (myself included) who feel as though you go out of your way to troll the board.

I personally think that you're an OK guy with quite a bit to offer. Perhaps if you play to your strengths (knowledge of the high end sports card market) and tone down the other stuff, you will gain more widespread acceptance here.

Just my two cents. Do with them what you will, good sir.

Best regards,

Eric
Old 08-13-2016, 08:01 PM
Eric Perry

One last thing...while there is no rule about posting images of cards, I think that a hundred or so posts without one is too many. Enjoy the '56 Mantle, everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 08-13-2016, 08:33 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Can't you shut up for one minute? Please, please, go away. You are a fungus....
Another useful quote by CMIZE, what did that have to offer except trollling
Old 08-13-2016, 08:36 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Hi, Jake. I hope this finds you well.

You're right as it pertains to the points I quoted above. However, there are some members (myself included) who feel as though you go out of your way to troll the board.

I personally think that you're an OK guy with quite a bit to offer. Perhaps if you play to your strengths (knowledge of the high end sports card market) and tone down the other stuff, you will gain more widespread acceptance here.

Just my two cents. Do with them what you will, good sir.

Best regards,

Eric
Thanks. I will keep it in mind. You will see i try to keep my arguments on topic though without a post which the sole reason is to just criticize the poster. There would appear others that should tone it down as well. I also think if you read all of the posts and keep a neutral mind you may not see me as an instigator. I know there were a few posters that actually thought CMIZE wasnt biased against me or i was making it up that he trolls my posts, but after they actually read the full threads they messaged me and saw where i was coming from.

Nice Mick by the way

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 08-13-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:49 PM

It absolutely is because it takes sustainability and durability. Ichiro got 3000 hits and most take longer than he did in terms of seasons. I think only Rose also got 3000 in his 16th season. Many players have that potential. Not many actually make it.