NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-20-2016, 12:35 AM
Scott ku.rtis

Default Usain Bolt is most like who...?

I say Mike Tyson circa 1988.

The guy is unbeatable, and the whole sports world stops to watch him. Is there any other athlete that had that aura of invincibility that he reminds you of?

Even Phelps has lost 5x.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:03 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Eddie Gaedel - a perfect career with OBP OF 1.000

At 3' 7" he is frequently overlooked though.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 08-20-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:26 AM
Ben North

Probably not a popular answer but my guess is Lance Armstrong.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:09 AM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Even Phelps has lost 5x.
well yeah, but he was in like 3 times the events as Bolt every olympics too....

IMO, he reminds me of Carl Lewis when he was in his prime winning the 100m and the long jump all the time. Both were brash and self promoting and were able to create fame outside of just the Olympic spotlight (which can be difficult)

Last edited by bravos4evr; 08-20-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:06 AM

Usain Bolt is most like who....?

NOBODY. HE IS THE GOLD STANDARD.

HE IS THE GREATEST SPRINTER OF ALL.

HE PUTS ON A FABULOUS SHOW, IS VERY UNINHIBITED IN A REFRESHING WAY. HE IS STARKLY BETTER THAN HIS COMPETITORS.

I GET THE SUBTLE IMPRESSION SOME PEOPLE WANT TO SEE HIM COME DOWN AND CRUMBLE, LIKE SO MANY ROOKIE PHENOMS THAT THEY BOUGHT INTO WITH ALL THEIR MIGHT, LIKE SO MANY CRASH AND BURN AMERICAN ATHLETES, AND, DEEP DOWN, MAYBE EVEN LIKE THEMSELVES.

I THINK IT'S WONDERFUL WHAT HE HAS DONE. HE COMES OFF AS A HAPPY CHAMPION AND HE'S SO APPROACHABLE. I WAS IMMENSELY IMPRESSED WHEN HE RECENTLY SHUSHED HIS BRAZILIAN INTERVIEWER WHEN THE USA'S NATIONAL ANTHEM WAS BEING PLAYED. WHAT GENUINE RESPECT. WHAT A CHAMPION!

OUR WORLD NEEDS HIM RIGHT NOW---MORE THAN EVER BEFORE.

I SALUTE USAIN BOLT. ---BRIAN POWELL
Old 08-20-2016, 02:25 PM
Eric Perry

When reading the title of this thread, my first thought was:

The Flash
Old 08-20-2016, 04:16 PM
qu@n nguy3n

tiger woods before he got caught. elin saved jack's record.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:19 PM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
tiger woods before he got caught. elin saved jack's record.
agreed.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:43 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Usain Bolt is most like who....?

NOBODY. HE IS THE GOLD STANDARD.

HE IS THE GREATEST SPRINTER OF ALL.

HE PUTS ON A FABULOUS SHOW, IS VERY UNINHIBITED IN A REFRESHING WAY. HE IS STARKLY BETTER THAN HIS COMPETITORS.

I GET THE SUBTLE IMPRESSION SOME PEOPLE WANT TO SEE HIM COME DOWN AND CRUMBLE, LIKE SO MANY ROOKIE PHENOMS THAT THEY BOUGHT INTO WITH ALL THEIR MIGHT, LIKE SO MANY CRASH AND BURN AMERICAN ATHLETES, AND, DEEP DOWN, MAYBE EVEN LIKE THEMSELVES.

I THINK IT'S WONDERFUL WHAT HE HAS DONE. HE COMES OFF AS A HAPPY CHAMPION AND HE'S SO APPROACHABLE. I WAS IMMENSELY IMPRESSED WHEN HE RECENTLY SHUSHED HIS BRAZILIAN INTERVIEWER WHEN THE USA'S NATIONAL ANTHEM WAS BEING PLAYED. WHAT GENUINE RESPECT. WHAT A CHAMPION!

OUR WORLD NEEDS HIM RIGHT NOW---MORE THAN EVER BEFORE.

I SALUTE USAIN BOLT. ---BRIAN POWELL

+1 - I agree...just in lower case.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-21-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis13 View Post
I say Mike Tyson circa 1988.

The guy is unbeatable, and the whole sports world stops to watch him. Is there any other athlete that had that aura of invincibility that he reminds you of?

Even Phelps has lost 5x.
Jesse Owens. Bolt is the greatest Olympian of the modern era where Olympic athletes can make millions of dollars and still compete in the games. On the other hand, Owens lost his amateur statis right after the 1936 games. We will never know if he could have done it for two more Olympics given financial rewards for his athletic accomplishments and opportunity. What we do know he was 4 for 4 in the Olympics, world record holder in all 4 events, held 7 world records at one time and his long jump record stood for 25 years. Owens the greatest of the amateur era, Bolt the greatest of the professional era.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

I would rate Carl Lewis as the equal of Bolt due to his dominance in the long jump as well as the sprints.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Nick Barnes

I have a hard time crowning a guy "the greatest Olympian" who did the same thing in 3 different races: sprinted. He ran 100m twice an olympics then 200m once. It's a great feat and all, but I'm just not impressed compared to winning 18 or 19 individual events over 4 olympics in different strokes and distances.

Or say the people who have won events in different sports and different olympics .

I tend to think the media hype machine and internet tends to push hyperbole to the point where any achievement now is "THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME" often, it just isn't.

Bolt, greatest sprinter in Olympic History sure, but I don't think he's in the top 5 of greatest olympians.

Last edited by bravos4evr; 08-21-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:06 PM
Nick Barnes

Heck, Ledecky's swim where she broke her own world record by 2 seconds and the field by 11 seconds is one of the greatest performances in olympic history and what about that american shooter? Hasn't she won her event 6 olympics in a row or something?
Old 08-21-2016, 06:50 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
I have a hard time crowning a guy "the greatest Olympian" who did the same thing in 3 different races: sprinted. He ran 100m twice an olympics then 200m once. It's a great feat and all, but I'm just not impressed compared to winning 18 or 19 individual events over 4 olympics in different strokes and distances.

Or say the people who have won events in different sports and different olympics .

I tend to think the media hype machine and internet tends to push hyperbole to the point where any achievement now is "THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME" often, it just isn't.

Bolt, greatest sprinter in Olympic History sure, but I don't think he's in the top 5 of greatest olympians.
I am not calling him the greatest ever nor am I calling Tyson the greatest ever. What I am saying is that he brings gravity to the situation. Everyone stops and watches and says "Woah".

It's that aura of invincibility coupled with that aura of "I gotta watch." The Pinnacle for Tiger was probably when he slow-rolled that Nike ball putt in the late stages of a major win.

I think Owens and Lewis are all great comparisons. Jordan was in particular games, but he played nearly 100 per season, so it was different. Like Tyson, Bolt only works his craft a few times per year on a big stage. Bolt also has that Foreman charisma as well to sell bis sport.

I would say aside from Tyson, the only individual event that rivals Bolt for inevitability and anticipation was Federer-Nadal 2008 Wimbledon final.

Last edited by Tennis13; 08-21-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:17 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis13 View Post
I am not calling him the greatest ever nor am I calling Tyson the greatest ever. What I am saying is that he brings gravity to the situation. Everyone stops and watches and says "Woah".

It's that aura of invincibility coupled with that aura of "I gotta watch." The Pinnacle for Tiger was probably when he slow-rolled that Nike ball putt in the late stages of a major win.

I think Owens and Lewis are all great comparisons. Jordan was in particular games, but he played nearly 100 per season, so it was different. Like Tyson, Bolt only works his craft a few times per year on a big stage. Bolt also has that Foreman charisma as well to sell bis sport.

I would say aside from Tyson, the only individual event that rivals Bolt for inevitability and anticipation was Federer-Nadal 2008 Wimbledon final.
I was referring more to the media hype than you or any other individual commenting in here. The sprints are high profile for the USA (like swimming) si our media tends to push it hard. I still think that Kim Rhode winning a skeet shooting medal in 6 straight olympics is one of the greatest olympic feats ever. 24 years!!!! Even if they aren't all gold, that's pretty amazing.

Hell, that women's wrestler who beat the japanese icon for the gold has been totally overlooked. It was like some nobody showing up and beating Bolt in the 100m!
Old 08-21-2016, 07:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Perhaps the most invincible athlete ever was Alexander Karelin, the incomparable Russian wrestler. Rulon Gardner's win over him was truly epic, easily the equal of someone beating Bolt.

Here is a piece on Karelin, which reveals that behind that massive and menacing physique was a thoughtful intellectual.
http://www.si.com/vault/1991/05/13/1...sing-intellect

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-21-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:11 PM
Steve Birmingham

Bolt is really amazing, and as in most sports comparing eras is difficult. Today most athletes are at least a bit specialized, only doing one or two events. Athletes before may have only competed at the top level in one or two, but competed in more than that.

The US coverage only covers a few sports that are popular here, and a lot of the great performances in less well known sports get missed.

I'm a big fan of the performances by the athletes at the lower end of the spectrum. I can enjoy Phelps, Bolt etc and admire what they accomplish.
But I really like the ones that put in a great effort despite being a bit overmatched.

Mathieu Razanakolona sking for Madagascar. Nearly crashes, doesn't DQ and finishes the course. Placed 39th out of 41 finishers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m51Fg6Hv2xM

A few more, Eddie the eagle was a favorite of mine. I can't imagine trying either of the big ski jumps, and I was a bit crazy as a skier.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...s-history.html

Attended the 96 Olympics in Atlanta, and watched some qualifying, some of the people who barely made the finals celebrated more than the ones who got in more easily.

Steve B
Old 08-21-2016, 11:33 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Did you watch the Eddie the Eagle movie from a few years ago? Good bubblegum fare.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Perhaps the most invincible athlete ever was Alexander Karelin, the incomparable Russian wrestler. Rulon Gardner's win over him was truly epic, easily the equal of someone beating Bolt.

Here is a piece on Karelin, which reveals that behind that massive and menacing physique was a thoughtful intellectual.
http://www.si.com/vault/1991/05/13/1...sing-intellect

Thanks for sharing Peter- I had forgotten how dominant Karelin was.

Undefeated in International Competition for 13 years and unscored upon for 6 years!!!! Simply Amazing !

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-22-2016, 07:45 AM

I don't think you can say Usain Bolt is hyped. The guy is the best sprinter on the planet and faster than any man alive, and possibly ever to live. Not only does he have that distinction, but he's held that distinction for 12 years. We don't even know how fast he can actually run because he isn't challenged in his races. He pulls up at the end of every race because he's got it won before it's over.

Last edited by packs; 08-22-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:24 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
and what about that american shooter? Hasn't she won her event 6 olympics in a row or something?
Kim Rhode has won a medal in 6 consecutive Olympics, but not all gold and not the same event. She has 3 gold 1 silver and 2 bronze in double trap and skeet shooting. She has also had finishes of 5th, 7th and 9th. She won her first gold medal in Atlanta at the age of 17.

Aladar Gerevich, a Hungarian fencer, won gold medals in six consecutive Olympics - 1932, 1936, 1948, 1952, 1956 and 1960. A record for any Olympic sport. If not for WWII who knows. They thought he was too old for the team in 1960. He challenged every member of the Hungarian sabre team and beat every one of them.

Ray Ewry has the true record for perfection in the Olympics - 10 events 10 gold medals 1900, 1904, 1906 and 1908. The IOC does not acknowledge 1906 as it was not a normal quadrennial event, but even without the two golds he won there he is still 8 for 8. His medals were in the standing high jump - 1900, 1904, 1906 and 1908. The standing long jump 1900, 1904, 1906 and 1908. Standing triple jump 1900, 1904.

The interesting this about Bolt is that he is a sprinter at 6' 5". Most sprinters are shorter. If he was in the U.S. they would have tried to turn him into a high jumper or steered him towards basketball or football.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 08-22-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:46 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't think you can say Usain Bolt is hyped. The guy is the best sprinter on the planet and faster than any man alive, and possibly ever to live. Not only does he have that distinction, but he's held that distinction for 12 years. We don't even know how fast he can actually run because he isn't challenged in his races. He pulls up at the end of every race because he's got it won before it's over.
he is over hyped. he is fast, so what? he is good at one little thing. and if he pulls up at the end he has nobody to blame but himself.

I am not impressed, not when compared to other Olympians who have done more in different events.

Last edited by bravos4evr; 08-22-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:40 PM

I'm looking at it differently. The thing about sprinting is you aren't supposed to be good for very long. But Bolt isn't even challenged 12 years later. That's what I think is so impressive about the feat.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:01 PM
ThreadKiller

Talking

Quote:
he is over hyped. He is fast, so what? He is good at one little thing. And if he pulls up at the end he has nobody to blame but himself.

I am not impressed, not when compared to other olympians who have done more in different events.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg caitlyn_jenner.jpg (23.7 KB, 60 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 07:45 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
2008 to now is 8 years, no?

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-23-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:42 AM

You are right about that. I was going by the rule of 4 times 3.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I'm looking at it differently. The thing about sprinting is you aren't supposed to be good for very long. But Bolt isn't even challenged 12 years later. That's what I think is so impressive about the feat.
Precisely. "TO DI WORLD"

I love Jesse Owens and respect him to the hilt. Were it not for the war, who knows? Then again, Avery Brundage was a real self-absorbed jerk. He would have found some way to disqualify Jesse for being a professional. After all, Jesse embarrassed Brundage's darling, Adolph Hitler, and his Aryan race "superstars".

Poor Mr. Owens tried in vain to secure a good job when all the wealthy guys wined and dined him for a few days after the '36 Olympics. They made promises or offers to him; sadly, they were just courting his favor and blowing smoke in his face. Finally, desperate, he chose the only offer he had---to race some idiot's horse.

Thank you for posting the disturbing photo of the former Bruce Jenner. Did any of you notice the news blurb that the station airing his (not sorry, but HER) cable show, "CALL ME CAIT", canceled it after a two-year run---while the Rio Olympics were taking place! How ironic.

---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 08-23-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourStrikes View Post

Please don't EVER do that again! I almost vomited on my computer!

Last edited by clydepepper; 08-23-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:27 PM

Default Edwin Moses

Edwin Moses won gold medals in the 400 m hurdles at the 1976 and 1984 Olympics. Between 1977 and 1987, Moses won 107 consecutive finals (122 consecutive races) and set the world record in his event four times. Really 122 straight victories, people!!