NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Ted Williams unauthorized photo and sig....

Hey guys
Got this email today and was wondering if there would be much value for this guy? If his friend is a Korean Vet he must be mid 70s or older (as my dad is). I wouldn't mind helping the guy but I also know that a Ted Williams signature is as common as sand on the beach....thoughts?

"I have a friend, Korean Vet, who took an unauthorized picture of Ted Williams damaged plane. Sometime in the late 50s he met Ted Williams at a spring training camp and Mr Williams consented to sign it. He wants to sell it if it has any value. He has never made any attempts to sell and has kept it protected. Can you let me know if there is any interest and I can just put you in direct contact with the owner. Pls let me know if uyou have an interest. I doubt that there are many if any other pictures because the plane was in quarentene at that time.
Thank You
Frank S.."

Old 01-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

It doesn't specify whether Ted Williams is in the photo or not; I assume not. I would think a picture of Ted next to/near the damaged plane would be much more valuable than an autographed picture of the plane by itself. Either way I think it is significantly more valuable than a generic Ted Williams signed baseball photo; of which there seems to be a never-ending supply.

Also, if Ted is not in the picture how can it be proven that it's his plane? Not trying to be skeptical, just curious

Last edited by peterose4hof; 01-08-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:52 AM

Can we see the photo? Would be much easier to get a feel for its value that way.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:11 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Well, if the plane in the photo has an ID number on it, and another photo of Ted in the plane showing the ID number, and a news article about Ted crashing the plane, it would be a unique item, and one of a kind.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks guys...I will see if I can get a scan. It would be nice to help out a Korean War veteran.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Well, if the plane in the photo has an ID number on it, and another photo of Ted in the plane showing the ID number, and a news article about Ted crashing the plane, it would be a unique item, and one of a kind.
Agreed... if the planes could be photo matched.. it would be worth more than a generic photo IMO. NOT A TON(unless two people really wanted it) but more than a generic signed photo.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-08-2014, 12:23 PM

I think a vintage original photo like that would be a very nice piece. I think it would be different if it was a modern print like the generic 8 x 10s. I mean if the plane photo is a modern print of an original photo.

Last edited by packs; 01-08-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:42 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think it will be the real deal when we see it but maybe not too valuable....here are a few more tidbits his friend just sent me..

"Yes, he has a framed “copy” that I will need to get from him and email. It may be Monday for me to get it because I will need to go to his home and get it and copy. You may need to know that my friend is in the picture standing beside the plane in case that makes a difference. I should have mentioned that earlier. Will follow up early next week. Thank You"

"Further to my email about the ted Williams plane, I forgot to mention that orders were for no pictures to be taken of this plane and not to be discussed due to potential propaganda material for axis powers. Probably good assurance that there probably are no other pics around. Thanks again"

Old 01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think it will be the real deal when we see it but maybe not too valuable....here are a few more tidbits his friend just sent me..

"Yes, he has a framed “copy” that I will need to get from him and email. It may be Monday for me to get it because I will need to go to his home and get it and copy. You may need to know that my friend is in the picture standing beside the plane in case that makes a difference. I should have mentioned that earlier. Will follow up early next week. Thank You"

"Further to my email about the ted Williams plane, I forgot to mention that orders were for no pictures to be taken of this plane and not to be discussed due to potential propaganda material for axis powers. Probably good assurance that there probably are no other pics around. Thanks again"

Interesting thread. I don't think the 'axis powers' would have had any problem with this photo as Japan, Italy and Germany were the Axis Powers during WWII. China and North Korea, on the other hand, may have used this for propaganda.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:44 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Leon, if it can shown to be Ted's plane it would be worth a lot.

Here is an artical you can read about the crash and it also shows the plane. I guess it was not that big of a secret

http://www.tedwilliams.com/index.php?page=burnjet
Old 01-08-2014, 02:52 PM
Ben North

Leon please keep us updated on the photo. I would even pay for a good copy of the signed photo.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Ben North

Any updates on this item?