NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-13-2017, 12:29 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think we all love Al (hey Al). I love him as much as the next guy, in a brotherly way of course. That said I hope there is a way to find a better way to close in the future. It was a great auction. I won some items and consign and will continue all of the above. But when a strategy is to either stay awake for 24 hours or set your alarm clock to get up at the closing, it would seem a better way to end can be had. We love ya' Al. I will continue bidding, consigning, hanging out with you....inviting you to my house, but please, from the bottom of my collector/dealer/investor heart, find a different way to close. Great auction, can't wait for the next one!!

This is well stated, and I would "+1" it, but the only difference is that I've made it a personal policy to not consign to AHs that use this asinine closing system. I understand that LOTG's reputation is second to none, but with so many options, I feel my business should go to AHs that are more "bidder-friendly." I realize I'm just one dude, so who really cares, though I can't be alone in the sentiment.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
This is well stated, and I would "+1" it, but the only difference is that I've made it a personal policy to not consign to AHs that use this asinine closing system. I understand that LOTG's reputation is second to none, but with so many options, I feel my business should go to AHs that are more "bidder-friendly." I realize I'm just one dude, so who really cares, though I can't be alone in the sentiment.
The entire premise of this closing method, as far as I can discern, is just dumb. The idea is a bidder has a sum of money in play in the auction and, if he gets outbid at 4 am, will suddenly spring into action and deploy that money on other items he is qualified to bid on in the after hours session. Seems ludicrous for a number of reasons. First of all, many people like me go to bed and aren't paying attention to anything at 4 or 5 am other than badly needed sleep. Second, even though I bid early on items doesn't mean I still want them two weeks later. Third, closing eBay style on a sat night is a good way of having a frenzied close of bidding and catching people who will pay a premium to wrap it up and get certainty. Maybe people who just knocked off a few glasses of wine. It just makes so little sense. And if any sense. 15 minute rule per lot is simple enough.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-13-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Banned

the premise is not ludicrous
Old 08-13-2017, 01:41 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
The entire premise of this closing method, as far as I can discern, is just dumb. The idea is a bidder has a sum of money in play in the auction and, if he gets outbid at 4 am, will suddenly spring into action and deploy that money on other items he is qualified to bid on in the after hours session. Seems ludicrous for a number of reasons. First of all, many people like me go to bed and aren't paying attention to anything at 4 or 5 am other than badly needed sleep. Second, even though I bid early on items doesn't mean I still want them two weeks later. Third, closing eBay style on a sat night is a good way of having a frenzied close of bidding and catching people who will pay a premium to wrap it up and get certainty. Maybe people who just knocked off a few glasses of wine. It just makes so little sense. And if any sense. 15 minute rule per lot is simple enough.
Bliggety won 2 cards due to this " dumb" closing
Old 08-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Answer is...

Start your own auction house and set the rules to appeal to everyone. Good luck with that. It is what it is, don't like it then move on to Heritage only, BST here or ebay. So much whining lately.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradedcardman View Post
Start your own auction house and set the rules to appeal to everyone. Good luck with that. It is what it is, don't like it then move on to Heritage only, BST here or ebay. So much whining lately.
Why is expressing an opinion whining? Please explain. I thought expressing opinions was the point of these boards.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Why is expressing an opinion whining? Please explain. I thought expressing opinions was the point of these boards.
This. I guess the answer is when that opinion is not shared by the other person, which is also pretty silly. Wasn't his post whining?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Yep. Same kind of idiocy that has swept the country. Shorthand for I don't share your opinion.
Usually presented in some pseudo enlightened "I'm above all this" voice like this dude.
Care about what I care about? Heroic. Feel some other way? Whining.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
If I didn't always have to get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I'd lose a lot more auctions
Old 08-13-2017, 03:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
And if the rules were different he might have adjusted his strategy accordingly and still won. And by your logic, maybe Al should have run it until 10AM today to pick up more guys who woke up later than Dan only to find they were shut out of Memory Lane. In fact, why ever end it, there always could be one more bid.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-13-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:13 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And if the rules were different he might have adjusted his strategy accordingly and still won. And by your logic, maybe Al should have run it until 10AM today to pick up more guys who woke up later than Dan only to find they were shut out of Memory Lane. In fact, why ever end it, there always could be one more bid.
I was just stating a fact, logical or not.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Jay Cee

Makes to much sense to have all the bidders at their computer with a firm time of when the 15or 20 minute clock will start on each lot. Having all active bidders ready and logged in should create bidding wars. Yes HA, Huggins and Scott, Brockleman, and even Hunt have figured this out with closing lots individually.

Nothing like giving an advantage to West Coast collectors. Hope everyone uses the optional text messaging for when you are outbid. Nothing like getting woke up at 4 or 5 AM saying you've been outbid.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I know the AH response is always "put in a max bid and you have nothing to worry about". But I'm generally not happy putting in max bids. Many times they have worked out fine, but I don't love putting a marker down that I will pay hundreds or even thousands more that the then winning bid. Not saying anyone isn't honest but, well, there are people in this business I don't trust as far as I can throw them. Not Al C. who a fair player and an excellent all around dude.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-13-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:10 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
I won something too. That doesn't make the closing time any less ridiculous.