NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2002, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Default How come with every size variation, the smaller card always has sharper corners?

Posted By: Plastic Dog 

Ever wonder about size variations in E, T, and N-cards? How come in every size variation that people describe "within tolerance," it is always, without fail, the smaller card that has straighter edges and sharper corners.

For example, here are two T206 Jacksons currently on EBay (please don't bid against me lest I have to snipe you unmercilessly over the next year):

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1063093489

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1064455305

The 7 is clearly shorter top to bottom than the 6. (By the way, I'm not saying anything about the sellers - they probably picked up the cards already slabbed. I am bidding on both, after all.)

But this whole thing about "tolerance" in size is problematic. I bet the overwhelming percentage of smaller cards are in better condition than the larger cards. Which makes absolutely no sense, unless we recognize the obvious: dealers/sellers/others have trimmed down vintage cards to improve condition. We all know it happens, but I have several PSA-graded cards which are obviously trimmed. But graded by PSA nonetheless. There is a certain PSA Wagner which was clearly trimmed from some type of sheet. The card, in my opinion, is still worth the money (given its history and importance for the hobby), but I don't think that any of the previous owners of the card can in honesty deny this. I don't even think that anyone did anything wrong (unless they tried to pass it off as actually being issued in a pack, which certainly it wasn't). But all of this begs the question: How can you be sure that your high-grade cards aren't trimmed, even if they fall within the size tolerance (but on the smaller end)? Blue light or no blue light, I'm sure someone has worked through that minor inconvenience.

Pretty soon the size tolerance on cards will vary by a whole inch. And 100 years from now people will question the published sizes in those "ancient" Standard Catalogs, as they clearly must have overstated the sizes of early tobacco and candy cards. After all, no cards will exist in such oversized dimensions. And what is this VG condition anyway? All of the cards still in existence will be a beautiful NM or better - especially the smaller ones.

Old 01-19-2002, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default How come with every size variation, the smaller card always has sharper corners?

Posted By: petecld

I agree with you 100%. I think collectors rely too heavily on the old "production standards" excuse. I also don't think PSA or any grading company for that matter gives a flying rats butt. They have the submitters money and any "size" challenge is really a matter of opinion so there is no legal recourse.

fact is you can not argue there are legitimate variance in sizes for "T", "N" and "E" cards. I think the best approach for has been using my gut instinct. I've seen some really nice cards that "looked" great but something "seemed" wrong. I will trust how a card "seems to me" over how it "looks to me" every time. Naive? Maybe. But when I look at a card I bought I don't want to fell like I've done something I'll be sorry for later.

If I am offered a VG card, full size or a Nm/Mt card that is not full sized, I will always opt for the full sized, Vg card. Too much money is spent on cards not to be comfortable with your purchase and I was never a condition freak any way.

I hear so many collectors complain about the grades they get so then I have to wonder what are the grading companies good for any way. I haven't seen a PRO card that I would consider buying and don't even get me going on NASA.

It is this size issue that I felt so strongly about the E94 cards "billjo" sold on ebay. If I didn't know about the Lipset auction I may have bought some of those trimmed cards which "looked" fine and were just as the seller stated - merely "short". I'm sorry, but a "short" card and a "trimmed" card are two vastly different cards and yet both may measure the same. It's all about the integrity and motivation of the seller or in the example "plastic.dog" brought the integrity and motivation of the grading company.

Old 01-19-2002, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 01-19-2002, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I haven't seen an ex or better t206 yet that I was sure wasn't trimmed, slabbed or not. A 10x magnifier hasn't helped me much, nor has my gut instinct. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of t206's that I am positive are trimmed, both in and out of plastic. I haven't held as many cards as most of you, but I've held enough to know this isn't likely to change.

Old 01-19-2002, 07:08 PM
Administrator

are the ones that I've purchased (directly or indirectly) from an original collection. I must say, however, that I'm much more comfortable purchasing SGC-graded tobacco and candy cards than those from PSA or anywhere else. I don't know how much of that confidence is truly warranted; how can they actually be sure either?

Old 01-19-2002, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I have owned several T206's that are ex or ex+ and that I am sure are not in any way trimmed. So, I think it is a bit over the top to suggest that every higher grade specimen is altered. That being said, I do believe that many, many of the PSA 7 and up cards are altered. I also believe that my SGC 80 Waddell portrait is altered, which is why I won't even try to sell it. Personally, I stay away from high end baseball T cards unless I can inspect them personally then send them in for slabbing. I'd rather have a bunch of 4 and 5 cards that show honest wear on all corners than a supposedly near mint card that I can never be sure of.

Old 01-19-2002, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Like it or not, there are legitimate size variations. I collect boxing T cards and I have several that are larger than the average. Most show excessive wear on a border, as though it had been sticking up over the edge of a stack. I also have seen quite a few obviously trimmed T cards that were probably cut down from oversized cards by some kid long ago. Unfortunately, when you get down to millimeters on items that were really throw-aways when they were made, you are going to find variations.

Old 01-19-2002, 07:33 PM
Administrator

but I personally can't tell. I've seen very small cards with perfect edges that are so small they must be trimmed, but other than size, I don't see the evidence. How can you tell for certain a card hasn't been trimmed? This would be great information to have.

Old 01-19-2002, 07:34 PM
Administrator

that there are graded cards out there that I'm comfortable with; but most of those take up the entire PSA holder (can't tell with SGC, since while some of their holders are precut, many are cut to fit a specific card.) It's the cards that have quite a bit of extra room in the holders (usually top to bottom) that I question. It's hard to justify paying $400-500 for a PSA-8 T-206 when it is a little short in the holder. Maybe it is good. But if you go through and look at all of the "8s" on EBay, it's ironic how many of them have quite a bit of extra room either above or below the card. On the flip side, here's a card I would be comfortable purchasing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1064089697

Clearly takes up the entire holder.

Old 01-19-2002, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

From what I read and I may be wrong, but aren't you incinuating that alot of Graded 6 or better have been trimmed. If this is the case, why are you bidding on these cards?

Just wondering, I still don't like grading card companies.

Lee

Old 01-19-2002, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug Allen

It is the not the size it is the cut and the edge. The cutting process for T206s and other vintage cards is much different than it is today. The problem is too many collectors depend way too much on whether or not a card measures up as opposed to learning what the cut and edge should look like on a T206.

Regardless of whether or not you like or dislike PSA or SGC I commend them on understanding these nuances. I measure my cards and if they are within 1/16th of an inch I move beyond size to the cut and the edge.

Old 01-20-2002, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David

but all my rulers are metric. I knew that Canadian shopping spree would be the ruin of me.

Old 01-20-2002, 09:57 AM
Administrator

It would be nice to see images of "good" edges vs "bad edges" (under a magnifier). Does anything like this exist? Thanks

Old 01-20-2002, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Doug,

I agree with you completely! In all honesty, I look at the edges before I even look at the size. I think the wear on the edges on the back is very telling. I'm not advanced enough to actually loop the type of cut, but I don't think that is really necessary 90% of the time. If something looks VG or VG-EX with appropriate wear, I don't really worry about size (unless obviously a problem). If something is suspiciously clean or straight on the back, I look at size a lot closer. Most of the times those "nice" cards are on the smaller size of tolerance, or just under by 1/16 of an inch. To me, that means that the card was in all likelihood trimmed (from a large or even oversize card). Rarely do these really "nice" cards end up on the larger end of the spectrum. If they were really unaltered, the proportion on the large size would be the same as the smaller ones. But that is not usually the case. I have a feeling technology is good enough now where people can approximate an "older" cut, at least good enough to fool most of the collectors out there.

For example, the Gretzky Wagner was clearly cut from some type of sheet - whether a printer's proof, a salesman sample, or some unissued strip, there just is no logical way to argue otherwise. Especially when the only other Piedmont back was admittedly hand-cut. The difference between the two is that the Gretzky copy was likely "cut" a lot more recently, or at least cut further. The only problem I have with the whole sales process is the PSA grading of the card; if they will grade that without annotation, how are we to be sure that they can tell whether other cards have been similarly improved?

Old 01-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Administrator

During the '80s. financial situation forced me to sell a lot of T206s (and other cards). Of course, the dealers and collectors I sold to went for the ex-mint, near mint and (if there were any) mint cards. I was left with a bunch of ex, ex+ and occasionally vg-ex cards. A few weeks ago, Mark Macrae was over buying my rebacked Old Judge Kelly, and he took a quick look at my T206s--"What a NICE collection of T206s you have there!" he said. And I realized, they were nice, because nobody with any sense trusts the zillion near-mint T206s that are on the market today.

Still, I'd give a lot for a really beautiful T206 Speaker. What a hard card to find in really great shape! Julie

Old 01-20-2002, 02:36 PM
Administrator

I recently went against better judgment and purchased a PRO graded card. When I got it, the first thing I did was look at the edges. Sure enough, two edges showed normal wear (the set, N28, tends to chip on the edges), two were RAZOR sharp. I believe it was trimmed.

One of the reasons I like ex to ex-mt cards is that the modicum of honest wear on the cards makes it nearly impossible to alter the edges in any way without it being really obvious.

Old 01-20-2002, 03:06 PM
Administrator

here is a PSA-8 copy currently on EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1800100698

I have no idea whether it has been altered or not, nor do I know the seller. But you were asking . . .

Old 01-20-2002, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Even when I have the dough, I don't buy $700 cards for $3000. never bought a graded card over a 6, or an 80--and less than ten of them.

Besides, I just got a Mayo Hamilton, and I'm BROKE.

Very nice card though (I think!). Thanks for pointing it out.

Julie

Old 01-20-2002, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Crazy seller! He only has two really vintage cards, the Speaker, and a "Nodgrass," both with high PSA grades. He's also selling '52 '56, and '59 Topps--and lots of Tootsietoys.

Looks very enterprizing and successful.

Julie

Old 01-20-2002, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Art M.

Ebay seller Greenhornet007 has now listed his 11th T206 Snodgrass, no "S", error card since 1998. Anyone care to figure the odds of 1 person ever owning that many of these? But who is counting?

Old 01-20-2002, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Were they all different? (as opposed to posting the same one several times without a winner)

Old 01-20-2002, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Daniels

is that some of them graded!!! ( PSA not SGC* of course )

and David, they are different! The guy does acyaully find suckers to buy them!

Old 01-20-2002, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Maybe 'Snodgrass' will end up being the rarer variation.

I've always enjoyed printing/design variations, but a Snodgrass missing a part of one letter never lit my fire. Just my personal taste, not begrudging those who collect it.

Old 01-21-2002, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John

I once saw a nodgrass where someone wrote the "s" in,with pen because it was missing...what a difference in price one letter makes,especially when you put the letter in yourself

Old 01-21-2002, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

And most have gone through Ebay, various auction houses (including Mastro), etc. The PSA-grading of these cards seems to make them good as gold -- at least in the minds of whoever purchases them.

So, Art, I thought this card was one topic that might be discussed in your (hopefully soon) forthcoming T-206 book. Any comments on that?

I would actually love to hear if someone can explain, in a detailed process, how this achievement was accomplished.

Old 01-21-2002, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Here's a card I picked up in a lot recently that had me fooled for a while. Certainly you can't tell from the scan that a letter has been removed. The only way I could tell was by holding it up to the light to catch a different reflection from the tampered area.

Old 01-21-2002, 04:48 PM
Administrator

in an earlier auction of Greenhornet's, ending Jan. 3, with a BIN of $10,000. There were no bids.

Old 01-21-2002, 05:01 PM
Administrator

I sold this in a lot of 11 cards for about $83