NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Default Sort of OT...Vintage Football photo ID help...Penn State?/Pennsylvania Normal School?

Posted By: CLAUDE

Sorry it's not baseball Leon..just trying to get some guidance. Just picked up this photo today at a flea market and dont know anything about it. It measures 13 3/4" x 10 3/4". I dont know if it is football or rugby. Judging from the writing on the ball this photo is from 1907. I included a closer scan of the ball and also one of the equipment in the front. Can anyone help me with this? Real or copy?? Team?? Sport?? I had to scan in sections due to the size. The photo seems/feels real but I'm no expert.

Thanks in advance-
Claude

Old 07-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Default Sort of OT...Vintage Football photo ID help...Penn State?/Pennsylvania Normal School?

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Where are you located Claude? That could be a start.

Pennsylvania Normal School????

Old 07-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Administrator

I live in upstate NY..Rochester area so a PA school would fit!

Old 07-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Administrator

I should add that it looks real to me and it is a football photo.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Agree with Dan that it looks good and it's definitely football (great nose guards). You just have to figure out what PNS stands for-- might be a college team.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken McMillan

Penn state pre big Ten days?

Old 07-14-2007, 06:55 AM
Administrator

So, any other ideas? Any reference site to maybe try and match the letters with a school...don't really know if it's highschool or college though. Also due to the larger size of the photo it there much value attached to this kind of stuff...seems like a pretty early piece for football (also excuse my ignorance, I have no idea when football started).

-Claude

Old 07-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

I had a few from the Pennsylvania Normal School - which is now Penn State I believe - looks like the same school and logo - but these type photos can be hard to tell, were they are from. I have at least 6 of these type photos that are hard to identify

Take Care

Jimmy

Old 07-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

hi cluade,
it looks real to me also.
obviously 1907 ball which would be either the year that they played or it could be the graduating class year. so if it is a freshman team, the picture could be from 1904.
i am guessing that it is a high school team, as i have never heard of a college with PNS (edited to add, until now (thanks jimmy))....and the players appear younger than college and definetly younger than a town/club team.
nice piece. regading value, unless you can identify a specific desirable player....i would guess $30.
regards,
andy

Old 07-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Administrator

If it's a high school team then I agree with Andy that this is about a $30 photo, but if this turns out to be a photo of Penn State then it's probably in the several hundred dollar range to the right person.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

I went to Penn State's home page and it says the team becam the Nittany Lions in 1907 so if this was "pre-Penn State" it may have been the freshman team and therefore a 1904 photograph. Any thoughts?

Old 07-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glyn Parson

Hi i am a graduate from Kutztown University in Pennsylvania and I know that in the early 1900s Kutztown was known as the Pennsylvania Normal School. A Normal School was generally a place where people went to become teachers, I also learned that at Kutztown when i was going there to become a teacher, changed majors along the way.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: gregor197

This is certainly not Penn State, which was known as Pennsylvania State College by the 1880s (see: http://www.psu.edu/ur/about/historyshort.html).

There seems to have been no one school that went by the name "Pennsylvania State Normal School."
There were numerous State Normal Schools in Pennsylvania, i.e. Millersville, Stroudsbourg, Slippery Rock, Bloomsburg, etc.
These schools were officially called something like Pennsylvania State Normal School for the Sixth District, in the case of Bloomsburg, but
they were known by their city, i.e. Bloomsburg State Normal or Slippery Rock State Normal.

Since the OP is from upstate New York, I think the most likely candidates for this photo are: Plattsburgh State Normal
or Potsdam State Normal (now both part of the SUNY system), both of which would have gone by the initials PSN in 1907.

-greg

Old 07-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The larger size and presence of so much equipment and uniform styles will raise the value.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

It seems as if all questions have been answered. I just wanted to chime in and say that it is a really nice vintage team photo.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

claude, i know rochester is big but any vintage card shops near greece? i will be in rochester the first week of august

Old 07-15-2007, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

That was a nice flea market find; nice photo. I am guessing no photographer marks or anyother identifying marks, right?
I don't think its a Kutztown photo - I am fairly certain Kutztown was called the Keystone State Normal School , and there was actually a photo on ebay a while back from the early 1890s that was from Kutztown and the ball was marked KSNS.
I did some google research but couldn't come up wtih anything. I do think that it is of some Normal School. Alot of schools that were called Normal Schools were later renamed, so maybe even try to find out if different Colleges starting with the letter P were ever normal schools - probably a long shot but should be a fun research project.
I have attached a photo I have of a Normal School. The school is Kansas Normal School (kansas state normal school) which later became the Emporia State University. In the photo they are holding a trophy ball from a game wtih the College of Emporia. I think the photo dates to the early 1900's - probably just a few years earlier than yours.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glyn parson

I live 5 minutes from the kutztown campus Ill go look at some of the archives in the library on monday (family stuff all weekend) but I know it was definetly Pennsylvania Normal School as well as my wife ( also an alumni) says The Kutztown State Normal School, niether of us ever heard keystone state normal school, though that certainly doesnt mean it didnt ever have this name. If all normal (teacher) schools in PA were known as Pennsylvania State Normal Schools as an abovew post suggests then this may be a difficult item to ever identify.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith

Glyn, Obviously I'll defer to you as you graduated from there.
I got my info from quick google searches that I did back when the photo was on ebay. This is what wikipedia has to say about Kutztowns history, but obviously the school archives would be more definitive than a google search.

"First established in 1866, Kutztown University began as the Keystone Normal School based out of the presently-named Old Main Building and specializing in teacher education so that, in 1928, it became Kutztown State Teachers College. Eventually, the school expanded its programs outside of education to be christened Kutztown State College in 1960 and finally Kutztown University of Pennsylvania in 1983."

Old 07-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Thanks for all the info. everyone. It's nice to post here and get answers!

Anthony- Finding vintage stuff in the Rochester area is tuff. I have a couple local shops that keep their eyes peeled for older stuff and they call me when anyone brings it in so I kind of have an "in" s far as that goes. But they dont usually stock vintage stuff and only get it if they know I'll take it off their hands. I do stop at some of the flea markets and have ok luck (that's where this photo came from).

Glyn- Thanks for the offer to research this for me. Please let me know if you find out anything more.

-Claude

Old 07-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glyn Parson

you could easily be correct as I am going, as was my wife, on information told to us by the same professor so he could have been mistaken. I will however check this out on monday because I have definetly had my curiosity piqued.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Administrator

Glyn- Just wondering if you had a chance to research this.

Thanks-
Claude