NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Dan

Default Interesting "coincidence" in autographed photos bought through Proxibid

I've recently bought a few autographed photos from three different auction houses on Proxibid (and this is not a Proxibid bash - I've had good luck and bad luck with items bought there, and realize it's a function of the auction house, not the portal). These are all unauthenticated photos of current players and I don't think I spent more than $10 on any figuring I'm not out that much if they prove to be bogus. So, when I got them, I noticed on the back of each there was lettering and numbering that you often see when you print photos online or at a store - I am attaching an example. Although the numbers and names of the player are different in each photo, the name Toni Maynard is on the first line of print on each of the photos (again - these are from three different auction houses). I assume she is the person who printed out all of the photos. Has anyone ever come across this before? Unless Ms. Maynard has a whole lot of athlete contacts in different sports, different leagues, and different colleges, I guess I have to assume that the autographs are all fake. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maynard.JPG (64.5 KB, 428 views)
Old 03-18-2014, 06:15 PM
Jim M.arinari

Let's see one of the photos. My guess is that you will find that they are copies of autographed photos.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Let's see one of the photos. My guess is that you will find that they are copies of autographed photos.
Wow - that could be. I'll post one tomorrow.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

Even if these photos are copies, there is no way to tell if the autograph is a copy or real via a computer screen.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Mike Kaminski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Even if these photos are copies, there is no way to tell if the autograph is a copy or real via a computer screen.
This.

Unless of course we're lucky or very familiar with the photos and know what original they match to or that they're popular reprints.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Steve Zarelli

A plausible explanation is a forgery ring distributes their product through a number of local auction houses like the ones on proxybid.

The proof of the pudding will be seeing the signatures. If they appear to be the product of a forgery ring, the name on the back of the prints could actually be a valuable piece of information.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 AM
Dan

Here are scans - Ray Lewis and Marqise Lee. If you guys have tips as to determining if these are copies of signatures or actual signatures (real or forged), please let me know - I tried to tell and have no clue. They look to me like ink on a photo, and I compared it to photos I've had signed in person and couldn't tell. From looking at other sigs on line, the Lee one looks pretty different. Lewis looks good to me, though. Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts about this, please let me know.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (54.8 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (48.9 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (56.7 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.JPG (53.4 KB, 285 views)
Old 03-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Richard Simon

Get a Click Eraser.
I bought two autographed photos of Ted Williams from Always At Auction.
This was an experiment because I had doubts about the way these "autographs" were "placed" on the photo.
Click Eraser will erase sharpie ink on glossy photo paper.
It did not erase the ink on the two photos I bought.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-19-2014, 09:42 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Get a Click Eraser.
This was an experiment because I had doubts about the way these "autographs" were "placed" on the photo.
Thanks - I'll give it a try.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Get a Click Eraser.
So in other words, if you can erase them they are real?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Charlie

Quote:
Really on the picture at least
Old 03-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Dan

Quote:
There's one that I don't care too much about, so it will be a good test subject.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:48 AM
Stefan

I'm a frequent IP Autographer and some places (like Costco and CVS) print your name on the back of photos when ordered, while others just use generic numbers or letters. I'm thinking this could possibly be the case here... (as you stated in your first post)

Last edited by Smanzari; 03-20-2014 at 05:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:23 AM
B.ob L.amb

If the Ray Lewis autograph looks good as long as it is an autograph and not part of the photo. Consistent with every Ray Lewis Auto I have ever gotten.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:13 AM
Dan

So, I got the Clic Eraser and tried it on the very end of Denard Robinson's name (his was one of the pictures I really didn't care too much about). It came off so, at least for that one, it's real ink and not copied ink. As basesareempty said, the Ray Lewis does look pretty real. It's hard to imagine that Toni Maynard, whoever that is, has so much access to so many athletes.

This whole dialogue makes me wonder how PSA/DNA and JSA make the initial determination whether a signature on a photo is real ink versus a photocopy. I can't imagine they do what I did by testing it with a Clic Eraser.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Steve Birmingham

If you hold it up in good light, and look at a shallow angle - Sort of if you're looking from one edge and the far edge is the horizon- Most inks from a marker will be thick enough to see them as being on top of the photo rather than everything being flat because the sig is part of the photo.

Or, ball point will show the indents.

Steve B
Old 03-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Jim M.arinari

My loupe does a good job. Nice white LED light.

Has anyone seen these images before? Are they images that may have been downloaded, printed and then taken to be signed? I doubt she has that type of access without having any professional web presence.

The markings on the back looks to support a digital file being printed, i.e. her name, player name/identifier?
Old 03-20-2014, 12:32 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

These are most likely printed from digital files, either burned to a disc or on a thumb drive. I scan a lot of photos in my collection and burn them to a disc with the name being the subject. I make prints to sell with the autographs. The camera store that prints them imprints the name on the back as it is the file title.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-21-2014, 10:01 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossfan View Post
So, I got the Clic Eraser and tried it on the very end of Denard Robinson's name (his was one of the pictures I really didn't care too much about). It came off so, at least for that one, it's real ink and not copied ink. As basesareempty said, the Ray Lewis does look pretty real. It's hard to imagine that Toni Maynard, whoever that is, has so much access to so many athletes.

This whole dialogue makes me wonder how PSA/DNA and JSA make the initial determination whether a signature on a photo is real ink versus a photocopy. I can't imagine they do what I did by testing it with a Clic Eraser.
I take offense to this!! If you don't care for it, then please send it to me!! GO BLUE!!!

GO BLUE!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 03-21-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
I take offense to this!! If you don't care for it, then please send it to me!! GO BLUE!!!

GO BLUE!
In thanks for all the help I've gotten on this forum, I'd be happy to. I wanted a Montee Ball auto picture for my Badger daughter, so I bought a group of photos in an action lot that included Ball, Marqise Lee, and two Robinson photos. I'll PM you.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Yes that is correct
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow