NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-14-2014, 03:56 PM
Paul Carek

Default Thoughts on GAI grading?

Don't know much about this grading service. Should I be wary of a card in a GAI holder? Any input would be much appreciated.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcarek View Post
Don't know much about this grading service. Should I be wary of a card in a GAI holder? Any input would be much appreciated.
Yes, you should be worried about a card in a GAI holder. Not all are bad but many are. At auction they generally sell for less for a reason.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default Thoughts on GAI grading?

Whatever happened to Mike Baker? Is he selling cookies now?
Old 11-14-2014, 04:42 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yes, you should be worried about a card in a GAI holder. Not all are bad but many are. At auction they generally sell for less for a reason.
this, plus one. Having said that, GAI in their initial days had cards actually selling for higher prices than PSA. That did not last long. Their initial graded cards (different flip from later graded cards) gives you a better shot IMO of obtaining a card not trimmed and free of issues. I actually have a T206 graded by them when they first came out. It is not trimmed, but if I did sell it, it would bring a fraction of the price compared to being slabbed by PSA if not crossed over....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 11-14-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
this, plus one. Having said that, GAI in their initial days had cards actually selling for higher prices than PSA. That did not last long. Their initial graded cards (different flip from later graded cards) gives you a better shot IMO of obtaining a card not trimmed and free of issues. I actually have a T206 graded by them when they first came out. It is not trimmed, but if I did sell it, it would bring a fraction of the price compared to being slabbed by PSA if not crossed over....
I agree.... The earliest GAI holders are OK but run, not walk, away from the newer slabs. Even the early ones carry the stigma. I THINK I have one or two around here still but generally, except for PSA, SGC and Beckett, I "crack'em all".
Old 11-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

In the early days I did well crossing GAI to PSA; I was happy to buy either one. Baker was very solid. I'm not sure what happened, but the product definitely lost its reliability. The problem is that except for some cards that say 1st graded which almost certainly are very early grades, and some very late grades after they changed the flip, you can't really tell from the flip or holder.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 11-14-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Barry Arnold

Default Gai

With my ole buddy Peter, I do remember the earliest days when GAI did
ok. In fact, I still have quite a few which say 'first graded' and feel comfortable with their grades.
Alas, the problem is there are only very,very few of us who still remember those 'halcyon' days so I suspect we'll be keeping our gai cards for aeons.
Any gai after the first days, run away from quickly...very quickly.
all the best,
barry
Old 11-14-2014, 11:02 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Below is an original generation GAI graded card with the original style flip and 'first graded' designation.

Last edited by drcy; 11-14-2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:10 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Mike Baker

Last I heard he was bar-tending. I believe in Tahoe area somewhere.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:34 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Below is an original generation GAI graded card with the original style flip and 'first graded' designation.

and here's one (from eBay) that has the newer label
which many believe has more relaxed grading standards
Perhaps they utilized the newer label when they moved to Iowa

Old 11-15-2014, 06:47 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwyer View Post
Whatever happened to Mike Baker? Is he selling cookies now?
Damian Werner told me a couple years ago Mike Baker was still their head grader. Damian could have been full of it though as the company has been run out of his house for the last few years.

From personal experience even the cards with first graded can be garbage. Not sure about the # anymore but from memory I think any # after 10300000 has a huge chance of being garbage and any card in the Global Authority slab is buyer beware.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

These flips are questionable too IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_571.jpg (81.1 KB, 322 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:16 AM
Cain J.

I completely stay away from GAI.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Let's be honest here, there's problems with ALL grading companies....
And card grading in general.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:51 AM
Robert A

I don't think about GAI so I don't get angry again. Bad experiences.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:52 AM
T0dd M@rcum

My experience with GIA is that it's a little harder to break the cards out of them than it is with SGC.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Clift0n Johns0n

Does the same logic apply to slabbed packs? Maybe it's just me, but it seems most slabbed packs I see are GAI.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by caramelcard View Post
I don't think about GAI so I don't get angry again. Bad experiences.
A BIG +1 It took several emails and phone calls just to get my cards back. I paid the grading charges and got my cards back raw(good thing) several months later on a 5 or 10 day service.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Christ0pher C@ssidy

Paul,

I'm generally in agreement with the comments previously posted. My experience in the past was that for some of the cards in the original GAI holders, you had an opportunity to sometimes get a good card at a good price. However, you can't trust anything in the newly designed holders.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:23 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
A BIG +1 It took several emails and phone calls just to get my cards back. I paid the grading charges and got my cards back raw(good thing) several months later on a 5 or 10 day service.
When you called, what was their excuse for not grading them?
Old 11-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
When you called, what was their excuse for not grading them?
Short version. I sent in several rare error cards. After a couple months they finaly said my cards were graded and waiting for encapsulation and that would be done in a couple days.

They(Damain) posted the grades of the cards and I thought they were what they should grade at except 1 card. I asked if it could be looked at again and would pay for that service. A few days later I got a email back saying all my cards had been reglossed and the grades would all be changed to reflect that.

I knew better because every card I sent in came from a different source. I did not regloss them and they did not apear reglossed to me.

So in the end I was just very happy to pay to get my cards back in the same condition as when I sent them in.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Paul Carek

Great information as usual, guys. Thank you for the responses!
Old 11-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Fred

My understanding was that they placed the "1st Graded" designation on cards that were the first to recieve that grade. For example, there could be 10 "1st Graded" T206 Cobb (bat on shoulder) cards. There'd be a "1st graded" "1", "2" "3", etc.

I'd pick up GAI cards if the discount was good and the card didn't appear to be trimmed. I think cards were reliably graded by GAI in the early stages of the company life. However like someone already indicated, all TPGs have their own fleas.

Last edited by Fred; 11-15-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Dave_Berg

Agree with all posts...however....last year I broke out an GAI Authentic E93 Mathewson... and SGC gave it a 5
Old 11-15-2014, 05:25 PM

Most of you people don't remember that Mike Baker was a former grader at PSA before he was one of the few guys that formed GAI. I met Mike on many occasions and was a great help at card shows & was always honest with me when conversing by telephone. Some of you are putting him down, but I'd rather have Mike grading my cards at PSA right down than any other of the current graders at PSA.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:33 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsports View Post
Most of you people don't remember that Mike Baker was a former grader at PSA before he was one of the few guys that formed GAI. I met Mike on many occasions and was a great help at card shows & was always honest with me when conversing by telephone. Some of you are putting him down, but I'd rather have Mike grading my cards at PSA right down than any other of the current graders at PSA.
I won't argue with that statement
Old 11-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I did know that. Do you know why he no longer worked for PSA?
Old 11-15-2014, 06:38 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default I began using Gai

early on in the "Baker" years. Many of my 19th century cards got the "first graded" tag. Some years later I cracked out every one while at the airport on the way to the national. Placed them between two waiting area seats and and tugged. All were submitted to SGC at the national. ALL of them graded........
That said - it's a crapshoot.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-Bowman-...p2047675.l2557

Old 11-16-2014, 08:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
He was as good a grader as there was on the planet, but something went wrong at GAI.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

After Steve Rocchie left, GAI went downhill.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:58 PM

Default Gai

IMO, one needs to take this case by case. Early on, I had most of my cards graded by Baker at GAI.
Several years ago, I took a bunch of GAI graded 1915 CJs over to SGC because I though they were harshly graded (by Baker himself). One did not cross over for the minimum requested grade, but three others crossed to the same grade and two received two whole grades above the GAI grade (they went from 4s to 6s). I think Baker was a strict grader, and at some point, I will cross the others over because of the stigma others allude to. But I may not; I know that they were graded fairly to harshly, not overly generously, and I personally think the card matters more than the holder.
Brian.