NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Default s74 silks - wo/backing

Posted By: steve

A real, real nice Matty S74 silk on ebay - but no paper backing. Aside from the fact of no backing, it looks to be a screamer - top condition.

But I am having hard time pulling trigger without the backing.

Question: I know the price drops off considerably without paper back, but what might you value this Matty silk with no backing.

I know the "color" silks of other variety never came with backing to begin with.

steve

Old 03-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd

You will find the white silks with the backing pretty rare and usually command a premium when available.

I have a couple of color Matty's that are in top shape. The white should go pretty high too.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Todd, feel free to contact me if you ever want to sell your silks.

I kinda feel like if you're waiting for silks with backing, you could be waiting a long, long, long, long time to assemble even a few nice specimins.

steve

Old 03-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I'm lucky to have 4 of the white silks with backing including Cobb. When I bought these years ago, they were not that hard to find, today is a different story.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator

You guys have me drooling over the mentioned high grade major HOFer s74 silks with backing.

Let me know, steve

Old 03-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

For years people have been buying non-baseball silks and remove their backing and put them on the baseball silks.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Old 03-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ron

Here are my Cobbs,
2 out of 3 whites have backing.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

hi guys....

silks without the backing imo are worth substantially less (obviously). i don't buy silks without the backing as i feel people will overpay (and therefore i would have to overpay) just because they do not have the patience to find a nice backed example.

they (backed silks) are out there, but they are becoming more and more scarce.

boomer, i have seen obviously rebacked silks in passing....but they are very very obvious. additionally the actress silks used a "chip-board" backing vs. baseball silks that used a plain cardboard. not to say that there are not non-baseball silks whose backs would match up with baseball....but the sizing, fraying, and general apperance make them pretty obvious imo.

i will post a couple scans tonight in hopes of having steve wet his keyboard

Old 03-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Administrator

I once sent a black/white with backing silk to GAI for grading, the only company that grades silks(and BVG).

It had the typical center fold that the vast majority have - as it was packaged folded. GAI severely downgraded it for the fold - I told them to send it back unslabbed.

Are 90+ percent of black/white silks doomed for grading due to the way they were packaged with fold?

The colored silks seem to be more without fold - guess they were packaged completely flat ?

steve

Old 03-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

For the record, there have been colored silks found with backing, although most are found without.

Patrick