NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 10-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Gehrig gpc

What are people's thoughts on this Government postcard? This is a VERY interesting item.

gehrigfront.jpggehrigback.jpg

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 10-12-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Brock

Is it just the paper color or does it look like parts of the name have been erased and rewrote??
Old 10-12-2012, 05:38 AM
Graig Kreindler

Last edited by GKreindler; 10-12-2012 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Whoops!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:24 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
What are people's thoughts on this Government postcard? This is a VERY interesting item.

Attachment 76031Attachment 76032
Seems odd that there are two postage stamps. One from Boston on Aug 2nd and the other from the Bronx on Aug 4th? The Bronx one looks very crisp as well.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Default JimStinson

According to the Baseball Almanac the Yankees were not in Boston on those dates. Begining August 1st until August 8th. They played the Browns, White Sox and Cleveland all at Yankee stadium. The 9th was a travel day to Boston where they played 4 games against the Sox 8/11-8/12.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
Seems odd that there are two postage stamps. One from Boston on Aug 2nd and the other from the Bronx on Aug 4th? The Bronx one looks very crisp as well.
I can't comment on the signature or on how postage stamps were used, but when I look at it, isn't the Boston stamp August 8 and not August 2, or are my eyes just particularly bad today?

Max
Old 10-12-2012, 01:17 PM

Default JimStinson

I thought the same thing that it might have been postmarked on the 8th from Boston , but even on the 8th the Yankees were still in NYC. Unless in 1937 Danbury CT didn;t have a post office and routed their mail through Boston
Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Max Weder

Is it possible there were two postmarks in the normal course? From August 4 to get it to Boston and on August 8 to get it to Danbury? (I know I should have been a philatelist).

Max
Old 10-12-2012, 01:30 PM

Default JimStinson

Yes, its absolutely possible that a GPC would have two postmarks , happens sometimes. But unless Lou elected to drive up to Boston after a game in NYC and then return it would not have been possible for him to be in two places at the same time. And he had that "consecutive game" thing he was working on too so he would not have missed a game to go up to Boston ahead of the team which did not arrive there until the 9th.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:31 PM

The postmark is certainly August 2nd (my birthday!), when the Yanks were in St. Louis.
Further, there are unambiguous signs of the writing being forged. An excellent forgery, to be sure, but a forgery nonetheless.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:07 PM

Default JimStinson

Unless the Almanac is wrong the Yanks were in NYC on the 2nd. But in order for any of it to make sense the 1st postmark (from NYC) would have had to preceed the later.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:11 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStinson View Post
Unless the Almanac is wrong the Yanks were in NYC on the 2nd. But in order for any of it to make sense the 1st postmark (from NYC) would have had to preceed the later.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:14 PM

Jim, the Yanks were in St. Louis on August 1, and in Chicago on August 3. August 2 was a travel day. Check it yourself:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/team...p?y=1937&t=NYA

Besides, there are "tells' in the signature itself.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:21 PM

Default JimStinson

I AM looking at it ...from 7/27 till 8/8 the Yanks were at home. In answer to the 2nd question about disregarding the postmarks to instead focus on the autograph would be like saying..OK its postmarked 1942 but does Gehrig's signature look real ? The postmarks and any other intangibles are as important as the signature in my opinion
Old 10-12-2012, 02:22 PM

OOps--my mistake. They were at home.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 10-12-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:31 PM

OK. The Yanks were at home during the stated period. But it was mailed from Boston, not NY.
There are characteristics of the signature, however, that are very rarely--if ever--seen on a genuine Gehrig. Together, is that enough to disqualify it? I think so.

Last edited by David Atkatz; 10-12-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:42 PM

Default JimStinson

I haven;t even GOTTEN to the signature yet and I have disqualified it , On that we can agree
Old 10-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Steve Birmingham

The postmark on the stamp side would be from the city the card was mailed from.
The postmark on the back would be the recieing post offices mark, some places used one that actually said "recieved".

And that makes a bunch of stuff wrong. Mail from NYC to Danbury wouldn't normally have been sent to Boston first. Danbury is actually closer to NYC than Boston and directly on one of the major rail routes.
A postcard mailed from NY to Danbury typically would have been delivered the next day.

So either the card was sent from NY to Danbury and forwarded to Boston without getting a Danbury reciever mark OR more likely was sent from NY to Boston and originally had a pencil address and message.

So the address is probably fake too.

Steve B
Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 PM

The card could not have been sent from NY. The NY postmark is dated Aug 4, while the Boston postmark is Aug 2,
I doubt very much the card was received before it was sent.
(Unless, of course, it traveled faster-than-light.)

Last edited by David Atkatz; 10-12-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Jon Canfield

Guys - I don't think the front and back are the same GPC. Look at the heavy crease in the upper left corner of the signature side. That crease is missing on the address side of the scan (should be right around where the postage is). My guess - 2 different GPCs, hence two different cancellations.

Last edited by canjond; 10-12-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Holy sh*t am I a moron. I am so sorry guys.. talk about an impossible task to give proper advise. Below is the correct back. I really do not know what to say other than I am sorry. I had an email with a ton of gpc front and backs from this seller. I simply copied them wrong and didn't catch it. I did this stone sober...which is troubling. Just goes to show how important it is seeing a piece in person I guess. Let this be a lesson to you all.... LOL. God, did I mention I was an idiot?? Again.. sorry guys.

gehrigback7.jpg

Last edited by Forever Young; 10-13-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Jon Canfield

Knowing what we now know, I'm going out on a limb here and saying the auto may be authentic. There are aspects of the writing I really like. That said, I would greatly value the opinions of others who have posted and would factor those in if I was considering purchasing.

Last edited by canjond; 10-13-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Brock

Can someone explain to why they would stamp it twice within 45 minutes?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Can someone explain to why they would stamp it twice within 45 minutes?
My guess would be the beginning and end of the processing.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Knowing what we now know, I'm going out on a limb here and saying the auto may be authentic. There are aspects of the writing I really like. That said, I would greatly value the opinions of others who have posted and would factor those in if I was considering purchasing.
Jon,

My gut was it was good. Because of this, I was interested and had the guy send me scans of the back. I was then confused. I sent it to Mr. David Atkatz on here for his opinion. He initially thought it was good too until I confused him and send him the back. It is pretty tough(near impossible) not to second guess yourself when the back was thought to be fact. So... I thought I would post it on here thinking it was odd. I cannot believe I didn't catch something as simple as a large crease... haha. Anyway, I have had another highly respected member(autograph expert) here PM me and tell me he thought it was good as well. Based on the feedback I have received in PM and comparing to other exemplars(a 1937 gpc on ebay for example), it appears to be authentic. I apologize again for the confusion.

Ben

Last edited by Forever Young; 10-13-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:12 AM

IF that item is truly authentic then I would love to own it, also having the first name Charles. Cool piece (if real)!
Old 10-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Me too Jon, I am thinking it is good as well.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
My guess would be the beginning and end of the processing.
Close.

One of the first steps is canceling. These days they have a machine called a facer/canceller that senses the flourescent ink on the stamp and turns all the mail the right way up then cancels. somewhere in excess of 10,000 pieces an hour.

Back then it was done by hand and sometimes something would get in the machine backwards. Usually they found them during the next step- sorting. Then they'd either cancel it by hand or put it back in the pile to be run through again.

Steve B
Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Jon Canfield

Ben - it's a sweet postcard for sure assuming it is authentic (and again, I'm in the authentic camp). However, I thought David was of the opinion it's no good, even postmark aside. I believe above he felt that there were unambiguous signs of the writing being forged?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:

I apologize again for the confusion.

Ben
Troublemaker.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Ben - it's a sweet postcard for sure assuming it is authentic (and again, I'm in the authentic camp). However, I thought David was of the opinion it's no good, even postmark aside. I believe above he felt that there were unambiguous signs of the writing being forged?
Jon, when I first saw the pc, I thought it was good, but wanted to see the reverse. When I saw the "reverse," it "proved that the card had to be a forgery. There is one characteristic of the signature that appears quite rarely in a genuine signature, but it does appear occasionally. Since--based on the reverse--it "had" to be a forgery, I convinced myself that that one "anomaly" was enough.

It isn't enough. I believe the card is good.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Jon, when I first saw the pc, I thought it was good, but wanted to see the reverse. When I saw the "reverse," it "proved that the card had to be a forgery. There is one characteristic of the signature that appears quite rarely in a genuine signature, but it does appear occasionally. Since--based on the reverse--it "had" to be a forgery, I convinced myself that that one "anomaly" was enough.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post

Thanks for the clarification David.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Jon,

My gut was it was good. Because of this, I was interested and had the guy send me scans of the back. I was then confused. I sent it to Mr. David Atkatz on here for his opinion. He initially thought it was good too until I confused him and send him the back. It is pretty tough(near impossible) not to second guess yourself when the back was thought to be fact. So... I thought I would post it on here thinking it was odd. I cannot believe I didn't catch something as simple as a large crease... haha. Anyway, I have had another highly respected member(autograph expert) here PM me and tell me he thought it was good as well. Based on the feedback I have received in PM and comparing to other exemplars(a 1937 gpc on ebay for example), it appears to be authentic. I apologize again for the confusion.

Ben
I was the one who contacted Ben a few days ago and opined that the Gehrig was authentic.

Although I appreciate Ben calling me an expert, I am certainly not an expert.

My first thought when I looked at that Gehrig was that it is absolutely authentic. I always trust my first look (instinct) at an autograph, and I liked that Gehrig immediately.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
My first thought when I looked at that Gehrig was that it is absolutely authentic. I always trust my first look (instinct) at an autograph, and I liked that Gehrig immediately.
While I admire your confidence, I would never "always" do anything. Except doubt my first impression until I've "proved" my opinion to my satisfaction. Which may still be incorrect, btw.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
While I admire your confidence, I would never "always" do anything. Except doubt my first impression until I've "proved" my opinion to my satisfaction. Which may still be incorrect, btw.
I trust my "eye" more than anything else.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
I was the one who contacted Ben a few days ago and opined that the Gehrig was authentic.

Although I appreciate Ben calling me an expert, I am certainly not an expert.

Chris, do you still believe the signature to be athentic?

Ben

Old 10-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Chris, do you still believe the signature to be athentic?

Ben

Yes I do, Ben.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Thank you all for your comments and help on this. I want to especially thank David and Chris for their time and expertise. Sorry again for the confusion. Jimmy, you are correct.. I am a trouble maker.

ps: Thank you Jon for catching my uploaded photo mistake and making me look like a fool! HAHA

Last edited by Forever Young; 10-14-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Jon Canfield

Great piece Ben. Hope you get it (if you haven't already).