NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 03-05-2018, 11:32 PM
Michael I.

Default Bird rookie purchase

Just wanted to share with you guys a card that as a kid seemed as mythical as bigfoot (im 47). Me and my friends would always see a third of the card or maybe the whole card seperated but never one fully intact. Growing up in Indiana Larry Bird was bigger than life to me as a kid. A few days ago me and wife were just talking and I had mentioned always wanting and not having a Bird rookie and she pushed me toward buying one. Not wanting to break the bank with a PSA 10 for 75,000 I looked closer to my "wanting to spend" budget and pulled the trigger on this one. This is one of the iconic cards from my childhood for sure. I normally do auto's only but this card has always been in back of my mind.
Maybe a Jordan rookie next?

Any similar stories?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bird.jpg (79.1 KB, 228 views)
Old 03-06-2018, 04:25 AM

Congrats Michael! Any card that features the likes of Bird, Magic and Dr. J is flat out perfect in my book.

I really appreciated the careers of all 3 of these guys. I was a lifelong Magic and Lakers fan growing up in So Cal. Ironically, I had the opportunity to meet and talk with both Magic & Dr. J at luggage carousels in airports through the years. Magic was in DET, my home airport where he was flying in to pick up his mom to get inducted in the Basketball HOF the following day with your boy Larry Bird. Dr. J was also post playing days and I met him in Orange County John Wayne airport where he was flying in to play in the Don Drysdale Memorial Golf Tournament. We chatted about his golf game. Both guys were incredibly nice to meet in person.

I'm glad you scratched this iconic card off your bucket list!
Old 03-06-2018, 11:54 AM

I remember before the basketball craze picking up that card for $3. Should have bought more. Also remember paying $60 for an 85 Star Company Set
Old 03-06-2018, 01:35 PM

Judging by the title I thought this was going to be about the '77 Topps Mark Fidrych.

The Bird, Magic, Dr. J card is a classic within the hobby -- congrats on picking up a nice high grade, well centered copy. Your wife sounds like a keeper if she's pushing you to achieve your dreams. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:17 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Judging by the title I thought this was going to be about the '77 Topps Mark Fidrych.

The Bird, Magic, Dr. J card is a classic within the hobby -- congrats on picking up a nice high grade, well centered copy. Your wife sounds like a keeper if she's pushing you to achieve your dreams. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, my wife a for sure keeper!! She has saw me buy alot of crazy things over the years. As far as the card I reasearched a bunch before getting this one, I too loved the centering both left and right and up and down. Ive always tried to buy stuff with "eye appeal" as opposed to settling on a lesser appealing casrd for the simple reason, God forbid anything bad happens and I need to sell some items I feel they will be the easiest to unload in a hurry. Going to frame the card with my Bird auto that is "To Mike" that I received from him TTM. Just not sure yet how I want displayed. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180307_001238019.jpg (73.7 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by w7imel; 03-06-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
Thanks, my wife a for sure keeper!! She has saw me buy alot of crazy things over the years. As far as the card I reasearched a bunch before getting this one, I too loved the centering both left and right and up and down. Ive always tried to buy stuff with "eye appeal" as opposed to settling on a lesser appealing casrd for the simple reason, God forbid anything bad happens and I need to sell some items I feel they will be the easiest to unload in a hurry. Going to frame the card with my Bird auto that is "To Mike" that I received from him TTM. Just not sure yet how I want displayed. Any ideas would be appreciated.
What year did you get that TTM?
Old 03-07-2018, 11:07 AM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad22 View Post
What year did you get that TTM?
mid 90's. Why you ask?

Last edited by w7imel; 03-07-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:19 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7imel View Post
mid 90's. Why you ask?
Apparently it is hard to get a personalized Bird autograph these days. Not sure when LB stopped doing that, as I have a personalized one, but its 1988.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:17 PM
Michael I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad22 View Post
Apparently it is hard to get a personalized Bird autograph these days. Not sure when LB stopped doing that, as I have a personalized one, but its 1988.
Also got my son a card signed and personalized around same time. To Isaac, Merry Christmas, Larry Bird. Not sure if he still signs TTM or not.