NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Leon - grow Net54?

Question to Leon. Do you advertise Net54 on any of the major auction Sites or anywhere for that matter?

I'll use Lelands as an example (although I'm not to fond of them, but for arguments sake). Lelands just ended and on the Mem side of the board, I think 3 people have come forward with items they won.......3 out of over 1200 lots.

So where are all the other winners? I shouldn't say ALL because I know many winners just win to decorate their mansions or to show off, not really fans of colecting per se.

I only know of this Site because a member told me about it, otherwise I may never have known it existed. And I was unaware of it for years.

Do you think if you use some of your millions to advertise Net54 on say Robert Edwards, Legendary, Memory Lane, Heritage, etc. you might bring in a lot more members?

I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin'.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 12-21-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a few things

Hi Paul
I would be surprised if there weren't 75 of the Leland's winners on this board. They just don't want to show stuff for a variety of reasons. We get around 60-70 new members every month and have approximately 3200 registered members, in less than 3 yrs of keeping count. Readership isn't the issue. Participation is. It's just a fact of life. Happy holidays!!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Default I can confirm

Yes. Leon is righton. I was a "lurker" for a while before I piped in. I know my brother has been a reader for years. He and others I know just prefer to be discrete about thier collections. Others I know don't even have a computer. I too am just sayin. dave.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default No worries

I was just inquiring. I'd just love to hear from some more of the winners if they are in fact out there.

And the more participators the better.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 PM
J@son M1ller

good lookin dog in your avatar, David.

Last edited by Jaybird; 12-21-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Steven

Paul - I was in the same boat as you until on the CU board someone mentioned this site...I cannot believe I never even heard of this site until then.

Is it a legitimate concern of the site adding too many people? I tend to trust folks on this site as Ive yet to have a reason not to. But, with growth waht would be the odds that crooked people got in here....just a question.

Im just astounded at how much my collecting focus had changed since I joined....my bank account has taken a pretty good hit as well.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hi Paul
I would be surprised if there weren't 75 of the Leland's winners on this board. They just don't want to show stuff for a variety of reasons. We get around 60-70 new members every month and have approximately 3200 registered members, in less than 3 yrs of keeping count. Readership isn't the issue. Participation is. It's just a fact of life. Happy holidays!!
Imagine if Net54 was advertised and the membership grew from 3200 to 320,000; there would be a new T206 thread every 3.2 seconds!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Imagine if Net54 was advertised and the membership grew from 3200 to 320,000; there would be a new T206 thread every 3.2 seconds!
I'd almost prefer to keep it at a modest size. 1 I don't know how Leon and the moderators would keep up with all the people and 2. a lot of discussion threads would just be people inputting answers without any conversation going on.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums

Last edited by sportscardpete; 12-22-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:32 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Question to Leon. Do you advertise Net54 on any of the major auction Sites or anywhere for that matter?

Do you think if you use some of your millions to advertise Net54 on say Robert Edwards, Legendary, Memory Lane, Heritage, etc. you might bring in a lot more members?

I'm not sayin' I'm just sayin'.

Hey Leon. What's this about your millions?

Happy Holidays

Ken
Old 12-22-2011, 08:10 AM

Default grow54

Here is my 2 cents from an old Geezer , who has been around the block a few times. I like Net54 just the way it is. More is not always better. In my opinon there is a good core of collectors here & on the Non-sporst side.

Mr. Lee
Old 12-22-2011, 08:12 AM
pete ullman

If it were that easy to grow...thereby increasing revenue...it'd have already been done.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
If it were that easy to grow...thereby increasing revenue...it'd have already been done.
Moderating is a labor of love for the most part. I moderated the board for close to 2 yrs before there was any revenue from any ads, as there were no ads. Sure the banners do bring in some money, and it's appreciated, but any smart person would be acting unwisely to put this much time into something solely for the financial return that comes from it. I watch a lot of different things, including analytics we have installed on the board. It is doing fine. And I agree with the "bigger isn't always better" philosophy too, otherwise the Net54baseball Dinner might be the National Net54baseball Dinner this year. There have been talks about it but, at this point, I am not convinced it would be a good thing. Thanks to everyone who participates. Happy holidays.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 AM

Net54's forum is more active than PSA's. The number of new threads and discussions here each day says there are a lot of users. Even the memorabilia side has new threads and discussions each day. Considering the niche focus of this site, that's great usage.

As far as Lelands goes, I won everything not listed in the Lelands thread. I needed stuff to decorate second mansion. Third if you count my Fifth Avenue penthouse . . . No, wait, I have a mansion in Ft. Lauderdale too. Keep forgetting about that one.

Last edited by drc; 12-22-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:48 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Leon if you provided an open bar here I'm sure we could get McKee more involved and grow it by one.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Leon if you provided an open bar here I'm sure we could get McKee more involved and grow it by one.
John- I am still figuring out the "virtual" alcohol thing but so far it doesn't work. I have never had anyone tell me, at any Net54baseball dinner, they didn't get enough alcohol. So far so good!! I am still so very appreciative of your very kind generosity of being my taxi when I do the Oaks shows. As someone who is a bit paranoid of getting lost and not knowing where the hell I am going, you take that issue completely off my plate. I just hope I can repay the favors sometime.
regards
leon

ps.. (let Dan know to get his pants off his boobs, would ya?...you guys are what helps make the hobby so fun...luv ya'll man!!)
Old 12-22-2011, 10:05 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

When they say "Blue" jeans Dan takes that to heart man those babies were blue! Like wise Leon enjoy hanging at the shows with you as well.

John
Old 12-22-2011, 10:43 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Love Net 54. Have made a lot of friends here. Been on for a couple of years now...there are always guys like me finding it...I am not part of the "inner circle" of National Dealers and SCD advertisers but I like the hobby, have learned a little about in in my four decades of collecting and don't mind to share. I have been told though that on average the posts were more intelligent before I started to participate.

Merry Christmas everybody.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

I didn't get enough booze in Baltimore?

Happy Holidays,

Lee

Last edited by Sterling Sports Auctions; 12-22-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:53 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I found Net54 through google searches. Every time I seemed to look for an answer regarding collecting baseball items I would come across either this forum or the archived one. I finally became a member when I realized that I would save times by forgoing google and coming straight here and using the search option.

I, too, though don't contribute a lot as I am not as knowledgeable to add anything to most conversations. Though I am able to learn from them. Also most of my questions aren't original so they have been asked before. Besides questions of rarity of Old Judge cards (I have learned that this seems to be protected non like other sets), I can find the answers.

Leon,
Is there a place on the boards for new members to introduce themselves?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshoegiverouterguy View Post
I didn't get enough booze in Baltimore?

Happy Holidays,

Lee
Not my problem you weren't at the dinner . You, and every other member, were invited. If we have one again in Baltimore this year hopefully you can make it. best regards and happy collecting!!

As for the introduction part of this site, it is in the water cooler section and is so named....