NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 05-08-2014, 06:37 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Yup, going to destroy over a BILLION dollars worth of ammo. Kind of kills the whole "buying in bulk to save money" argument.

I was joking. I don't think the government is destroying the ammo it just bought.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:51 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I was joking. I don't think the government is destroying the ammo it just bought.
I don't know if it's the ammo they just bought but, either way, they're destroying over a BILLION dollars worth of good ammo...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...waste/8145729/

"There is a huge opportunity to save millions, if not billions of dollars if the (Pentagon) can make some common-sense improvements to how it manages ammunition,"

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 05-08-2014 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I think when Clayton asks, "why doesn't "Homeland Security" guard our borders?" he means why aren't they doing their job. In other words, why are their so many illegal border crossings?
Exactly. If the reason DHS was created was "truly" about "terrorists" one would think the first thing they would do is saturate ALL borders of the United States with themselves. But, last night I watched a show about them catching low level drug smugglers at JFK airport How many agencies do we need nowadays? I thought our local police, sheriffs, and FBI were doing a good job.

Since DHS isn't truly about protecting us from "terrorists", and aren't worried about illegal border crossings, what is the purpose in having a DHS? We already had agencies doing the same jobs that they are doing now. Here's an interesting article:

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...art-terrorists

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 05-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
Exactly. If the reason DHS was created was "truly" about "terrorists" one would think the first thing they would do is saturate ALL borders of the United States with themselves. But, last night I watched a show about them catching low level drug smugglers at JFK airport How many agencies do we need nowadays? I thought our local police, sheriffs, and FBI were doing a good job.

Since DHS isn't truly about protecting us from "terrorists", and aren't worried about illegal border crossings, what is the purpose in having a DHS? We already had agencies doing the same jobs that they are doing now. Here's an interesting article:

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...art-terrorists

Sincerely, Clayton

DHS was created as a way to reorganize those agencies and provide a more functional framework for national security. Keep in mind that DHS is not focused solely on terrorism.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Last edited by jhs5120; 11-30-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
DHS was created as a way to reorganize those agencies and provide a more functional framework for national security. Keep in mind that DHS is not focused solely on terrorism.
I understand that. But, going back to the main event that brought us all of this wonderful stuff (9/11/2001), the concept was "supposedly" specifically to better focus on catching terrorists. Now, it was clear to me quite a long time ago that something about this was bogus because there was no saturation at the borders (presumably where foreign terrorists were most likely to enter the country). So, now, the mission has changed-and at the same time they aren't doing anything about our borders, they are coming up with all kinds accusations of normal Americans as "domestic terrorists"- to me, there is something wrong with this picture. Apparently, some take offense to what I'm saying-that's ok, I respect everyone's opinion.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 05-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Those incompetent jerks.
C'mon Jason, just get it out of your system and call me a "racist" already!

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Old 05-09-2014, 01:12 AM
Clayton

Quote:
What? That thought honestly never crossed my mind. I don't think you have posted anything racist here (at least not in our few posts worth of conversation).

I will call you a bit paranoid though. Skepticism is a great thing when it comes to our government, but I don't think the government, DHS and local law enforcement officials are conspiring to do harm to American citizens. Just my opinion.
Ok, I will apologize for that comment, that was out of line.

I will stop being paranoid when the this country is no longer run by corporations, lobbyists, and corrupt "representatives". The Supreme Court found it was important enough to make a ruling (very recently) on campaign contributions-but refused to even hear the case regarding NDAA section 1021 and 1022 (indefinite detention of American citizens, by the military, with no due process, with vague language like "a belligerent act" being one of the "justifications" in this section). THIS is outrageous. THIS is a threat to EVERY AMERICAN. But I'm not surprised- because if every one is willing to turn a blind eye to this vvvvvvvvvvv then nothing is shocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgrunnLcG9Q

God Bless America.

Sincerely, Clayton

Last edited by teetwoohsix; 05-10-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
I understand that. But, going back to the main event that brought us all of this wonderful stuff (9/11/2001), the concept was "supposedly" specifically to better focus on catching terrorists. Now, it was clear to me quite a long time ago that something about this was bogus because there was no saturation at the borders (presumably where foreign terrorists were most likely to enter the country). So, now, the mission has changed-and at the same time they aren't doing anything about our borders, they are coming up with all kinds accusations of normal Americans as "domestic terrorists"- to me, there is something wrong with this picture. Apparently, some take offense to what I'm saying-that's ok, I respect everyone's opinion.

Sincerely, Clayton
Clayton,

I appreciate your passion and knowledge of the political process. However, the situation is much more complex than your post indicates.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 06-06-2014, 09:40 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Some would say they're doing their job just fine. "CNN Fact Check: Illegal border crossings at lowest levels in 40 years":

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/13/politi...k-immigration/
But, of the ones we do catch, we plan on releasing 500 of them a week into the US...

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-T...r-Week-Into-US

As was Clayton's original point, the Border Patrol is a freaking joke! But, hey, that's an extra 500 votes a week, right?
Old 06-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Todd Schultz

While I cannot comment too much on the California situation, I assume it is the same as what exists here in Arizona, where we have been receiving busloads of immigrants, in all likelihood here illegally, from Texas, where they are essentially released with the papers commanding them to appear for their deportation or related hearings when appropriate. Our dim-witted governor of course wasted no time to whine to President Obama for relief; happily, however, the transported aliens have been treated well by volunteers who have taken them in and provided them with at least the bare essentials.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/25...en-their-homes

These people do not represent a new surge of an invading Mexican horde–they are Central American citizens from countries other than Mexico who have been around and were rounded up as part of an overall increase in immigration enforcement–IOW, the government is doing the very thing the right wingers claim they ignore. This of course is not apparent from the Breitbart blurb, as that “source” is hardly renown for its objectivity and thoroughness.

Anyway, the problem arises because the Mexican government is not obliged to accept foreigners; i.e., non-Mexicans, into their country, and in fact has declined to accept these folks, who again come from other countries. At least that is what has been reported here--they cannot simply be pushed back into Mexico. This is a matter of international law and sovereignty, not a fault of the US Border Patrol. At most it is an issue of immigration law and reform. As for that issue, I leave it to anyone capable of reading to determine who it is that has obstructed and foot-dragged on getting something meaningful done. I would point out that here in Arizona, there is a bi-partisan push to move forward:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...m-way/2140538/

I also see that the LA Time reports “President Obama will not make changes to the nation's deportation system for at least two months in order to give House Republican leaders more time to search for votes for an overhaul of immigration laws, administration officials said Wednesday....An immigration bill, a top domestic priority for the president, has been stuck in the Republican-led House since last year. The Senate passed a bipartisan bill last summer that Obama said met his requirements for reform.”

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nation...528-story.html
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Todd Schultz

Default And there you have it.

No immigration reform for awhile.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...rm-107697.html

Of course and without question, it's all Obama's fault.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Old 06-11-2014, 02:00 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
It's interesting to consider that Tea Party voters prevented immigration reform in America..
Interesting why? Most Tea Party members don't want amnesty for the millions of illegal immigrants.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Todd Schultz

Interesting maybe, surprising, not at all. Cantor was one of the more conservative House members, and Obama pretty much hates him. Yet he was one of the few with marshalling skills to help get something through on immigration, even if it was a long shot. So what happens?-- Republicans continue to eat their own, and redefine RINO once again, as Cantor not only loses, but to someone whose main message was that Cantor was too weak on immigration. You see, Jason, immigration reform means build the damn fence and step up the pace on shipping people out. Seriously, look at the tea party position on the subject. Anything less is anti-american, unconstitutional, illegal and violates every principle of the rugged individuals who made this country great (insert pic of Marlboro man here).
Old 06-11-2014, 02:19 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
You see, Jason, immigration reform means build the damn fence and step up the pace on shipping people out.
Amen, brother!

Edited to add the lefts position on immigration: A pathway to amnetsy so they can get more votes.

Or, hey Todd, maybe Obama could trade 5 Mexican drug lords for every 1 illegal immigrant? How about that?

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-11-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Last edited by jhs5120; 11-30-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:24 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I realize Tea Party members don't want a "democratic reform" but wouldn't they be interested in a reform that Cantor would be able to sell to the GOP? Isn't that better than what we currently have?

Where's the compromise?
Don't both people/parties usually give-up something in a compromise? Ok, the right gives in and gives them a path to citizenship? What does the left give up?

How do we keep more from coming into the US illegally?
Old 06-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Todd Schultz

Compromise is weakness Jason. C'mon man, get with the program.

Here is an op-ed by George Will from a few months ago. For those who may not know, George Will is one the most conservative traditional republicans in the country, whose opinions I respect but seldom find lined up well with my own. I don't even agree with all of this, but find it at least an interesting attempt at dialogue. Alas, the people to whom it is best directed are also the least capable of and willing to understand it.

Here is the link, http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...5fb_story.html
with much of the substance quoted as follows:

"Many Republicans say immigration policy divides their party. If, however, the party becomes a gaggle of veto groups enforcing unanimities, it will become what completely harmonious parties are: small.

Many Republicans see in immigrants only future Democratic votes. This descent into Democratic-style identity politics is unworthy of Republicans, and unrealistic. U.S. history tells a consistent story — the party identified with prosperity, and hence opportunity, prospers.

Many Republicans have understandable cultural concerns, worrying that immigrants from this hemisphere do not experience the “psychological guillotine” that severed trans-Atlantic immigrants from prior allegiances. But are there data proving that U.S. culture has lost its assimilative power? Thirty-five percent of illegal adult immigrants have been here at least 15 years, 28 percent for 10 to 14 years and only 15 percent for less than five years. Thirty-five percent own their homes. Are we sure they are resisting assimilation?

Many Republicans rightly say that control of borders is an essential ingredient of national sovereignty. But net immigration from Mexico has recently been approximately zero. Border Patrol spending, which quadrupled in the 1990s, tripled in the 2000s. With illegal entries near a 40-year low, and a 2012 Government Accountability Office assessment that border security was then 84 percent effective, will a “border surge” of $30 billion more for the further militarization (actually, the East Germanization) of the 1,969 miles assuage remaining worries?

Many Republicans say Barack Obama cannot be trusted to enforce reforms. This is, however, no reason for not improving immigration laws that subsequent presidents will respect. Besides, the Obama administration’s deportations are, if anything, excessive, made possible by post-9/11 technological and manpower resources. As the Economist tartly noted, “a mass murder committed by mostly Saudi terrorists resulted in an almost limitless amount of money being made available for the deportation of Mexican house-painters.”

Many Republicans say immigration runs counter to U.S. social policies aiming to reduce the number of people with low levels of skill and education, and must further depress the wages of Americans at the bottom of the economic ladder, who are already paying the price for today’s economic anemia. This is true. But so is this: The Congressional Budget Office says an initial slight reduction of low wages (0.1 percent in a decade) will be followed by increased economic growth partly attributable to immigrants. Immigration is the entrepreneurial act of taking the risk of uprooting oneself and plunging into uncertainty. Small wonder, then, that immigrants are about 20 percent of owners of small businesses, and that more than 40 percent of Fortune 500 companies were founded by immigrants or their children."

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-11-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Old 06-11-2014, 03:59 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
They're not going to stop crossing our borders. Ever. We could put up a wall, hire an additional 10,000 troops and construct some sort of super laser that incinerates anyone with illegal thoughts, but they will continue to find a way across.

The only way to prevent them from crossing our border illegally is to provide a legal way to cross that is a more attractive option than just sneaking through the desert.

Stop wasting money on a fruitless effort and put them to work. Grant them work visas and allow their children to go to our schools for a fee. Don't grant them citizenship, don't allow them to vote, just let them work.

Children of illegal aliens shouldn't be granted citizenship, they should be of the same status of their parents.
You know what, Jason, I would have no problem with that if it actually worked. Some come over on work visas for a specified period of time, work hard, go back after their work visas expire, allow others to come over, repeat process. Sounds good in theory, but what happens when their work visas expire and they don't leave?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Old 06-11-2014, 04:21 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Why should we let the work visas expire? Just let them stay in the country and work. We'll collect taxes, we force them to buy into Obamacare (if they do it at a young age we'll actually MAKE money on them) and we won't collect or give them social security (because they're not citizens).

They'll come into our country and work until there little Mexican bodies can't handle it anymore.

It'll never happen though because Republicans will call it too soft (since we're letting Mexicans into 'MERICA!) and Democrats will think it's too harsh (since we're not letting them vote).
Come on, Jason. Of course a work visa would expire. They would go home after expiration, new workers would come over. Otherwise, if the work visas don't expire, then do we just give one to everybody that wants one and let everybody come on in? If not, how do you determine who get one and who doesn't? Brings me back to my question: What happens when they don't go home?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Old 06-11-2014, 05:03 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Jason, you're missing my point. Maybe I'm not explaining it well enough. How many visas do we give out? One to anybody that wants one? If so, then why do we need borders? If not, how do we determine who gets one and who doesn't?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:07 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Old 06-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Grant them to whomever wishes to come to America and work at a minimum wage job with no hopes of ever becoming a citizen. Open it up in one month windows maybe 3 or 4 times a year and bus them to states that could use some minimum wage union-free labor.

If they don't get a job within an allotted time, send 'em packing! If they flee then so what? It's nothing we aren't used to.
Sounds like a good idea, but some of David's concerns are legit. If they don't "pay their way", and we send them packing, where do we send them back to? We already have issues w/illegal immigrants and not knowing where to send them. What if they commit crimes? Do we use taxpayers money to put them in jail when (arguably) they shouldn't even be here in the first place? Do we run background checks on every single one, which we also have to use taxpayer money to pay for? I'm all for allowing them in as long as they are a productive part of society, but I think there are many questions unanswered or tough to answer. I certainly don't have an answer so I like the communication between you, David, and others. Better to discuss options than to point fingers and get nothing done.

Rob
Old 06-12-2014, 10:51 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

I don't believe Jason sees the full picture because he is not exposed to the problem as much as we are in the south along the border states. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are illegal immigrants in New Jersey, but I can guarantee you the illegal immigrants to citizens ratio is a lot lower there than it is here in Texas. Jason, do you know if you go to an emergency room here in Houston, you'll wait a minimum of two hours unless it's a life threatening emergency? Why? Because the ERs are full of illegal immigrants. They know that the ERs can't legally turn them away and they have to treat them. Since they don't have health insurance, and most can't afford a doctor, they go to the ER when they're kid has the sniffles. Do you think they ever pay that ER bill? No and that's one of the (many) reasons why our health care costs so much. I could go on and on about other problems as well, but I'll leave it at that.

If I had my way, we would round them all up and send them back home to start with. I know that will never happen due to logistics and cost. At that point we could issue temporary work visas to allow some to come over. Nobody (well, nobody reasonable) is arguing that we don't need their cheap, unskilled labor. Heck, I don't want to pay $3 for an apple or an orange. Once their work visas expire, they go home and let other workers come over. Keep repeating the process. That would make it fair to all of them to get a fair chance. Anyway, that would be my idea but, realistically, I know it will never happen.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Todd Schultz

Rob, there has been a proposed bill that passed the US Senate last year, and that the President would sign. It was sponsored by a bi-partisan group that includes several Republicans who are widely recognized for being very conservative, including Lindsay Graham, John McCain, Jeff Flake and Marco Rubio. A summary of the bill can be found here:

http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/spe...migration-bill

Now here is something in the bill that should assuage those who claim our borders are not secure:

"For example, although undocumented immigrants will be allowed to register for the new Registered Provisional Immigrant (RPI) program almost immediately, before those in RPI status can apply to become lawful permanent residents the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) must certify that the Comprehensive Southern Border Security Strategy is deployed and operational, 700 miles of fencing is complete, 38,405 border patrol agents are deployed, and the E-Verify employment verification system is in place, among other requirements" (emphasis added)

So there has been careful consideration of all aspects of the problem, yet this Senate version has languished and will never pass because of these nutjobs in the House who claim it is not tough enough on border security. I was not kidding in an earlier post when I said these tools insist on an entire border fence and the deportation of literally 10 million people who have been here a decade or more. They think they're getting the great wall of China-- considered a wonder of the world in large part because of the immense cost in both financial and human resources; instead they will get the Berlin Wall, an emblem of shame, and will pay more than $100 Billion to build and maintain it. They ignore that their own side- Gingrich, Pres. Bush and others, acknowledge that there is no way we will ever deport the millions who have been here for decades. And then they spin it through faux news that it is the President who is uncompromising, when there has never been a more uncompromising political group in US history than the teabaggers--look at the number of fillibusters and delayed presidential appointments during Obama's term in office vis-a-vis any other President--it isn't even close.

So you can continue to hope for an exchange of dialogue as somehow refreshing as opposed to people who sit and do nothing--- but please have the good sense to see who it is that is doing nothing.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:36 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
"For example, although undocumented immigrants will be allowed to register for the new Registered Provisional Immigrant (RPI) program almost immediately, before those in RPI status can apply to become lawful permanent residents the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) must certify that the Comprehensive Southern Border Security Strategy is deployed and operational, 700 miles of fencing is complete, 38,405 border patrol agents are deployed, and the E-Verify employment verification system is in place, among other requirements"
Ok, so has the DHS certifed all that? If so, where can I find it?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:08 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

The truth is that the immigration bill that Todd posted is contingent upon several conditions being met AFTER THE BILL IS SIGNED - one of them is to secure the borders. If they can't secure the borders now, what makes you think they can secure them after the bill is signed, Todd?

Republicans want the borders secured FIRST and then compromise on a bill. Is that asking too much? Put down your Huffington Post and get a clue.

We have an influx of illegal children coming over here in record numbers. Fortunately, Texas is shipping a lot of them to that crap hole state Todd lives in. You're so in favor of illegal immigrants being over here Todd, well we're shipping them your way. Enjoy them and the diseases they're bringing over!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...on-their-own/#

http://www.abc15.com/news/national/i...-across-border

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-12-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-13-2014, 07:28 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Todd? Hello???

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to let facts get into the way of your propaganda...

Here is the VP of the National Border Patrol Council (and current border patrol agent) speaking about the current influx of illegal immigrants.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/362021095...=3620210951001

But, Todd, didn't you infer in post #244 of this thread that illegal border crossings were no longer a problem? I'm confused. Is it a problem or not?
Old 06-13-2014, 09:33 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Jason, I agree with most of what you're saying. Here's the problem. Most people I know and talk to don't want any part of an immigration bill until AFTER the border is secured, not BEFORE. It makes no sense to pass an immigration bill for the illegals that are already here, but then leave the borders unsecure for more to come over.

If you wanted to buy a dog, would you buy the dog and then repair all the holes in your fence, or would you repair all the holes in your fence and then buy the dog? This is common sense.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Todd Schultz

Mr. James, I do not exchange dialogue with you because you are a prick. I will make a brief exception here to point out that my sources, had you chosen to read them, were often from Fox News and were of Republicans, not the “liberal media”. I have “a clue”, and my views as expressed herein are embraced by more Americans than not, although that too is irrelevant to their validity.

You will recall that you went on ad nauseum with attacks against my honesty as a collector, my professional and personal integrity, and you clamored how collectors would put me on their blocked list. For those who have forgotten, the thread I called Carterscards2006–it’s a long read:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133471

You seemed to take delight in having notified an ebay dealer with whom I had a dispute so that he would take to the forum and show me what’s what. Of course, it turns out he was a convicted felon who had only rather recently been released from prison for embezzlement of over a million dollars. In addition, when he came on the board and laid out his defense– an outlandish fabrication that was pounced on by the rest of the forum and decried as rubbish–your decision to intermeddle made you look even more foolish. Oh and by the way, I did in fact receive my full refund, so you were wrong on that too.

Now more recently you once again decided to be the vanguard for the hobby, intermeddling when a board member pointed out how a Cy Symour Lenox went for cheap. You of course had to get involved and contact the seller, who ultimately refused to ship the card and claimed to have made a pricing error–although his pricing history of other cards suggested he simply did not know what he had. Many here would consider that to be poor form at best.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ighlight=lenox

Now today you insult the entire State of Arizona, calling it a crap hole state.

This is a watercooler forum in which I like anyone can express my views and I like anyone can choose with whom I wish to have dialogue. I have no problem if others choose to agree with you, whatever their reasoning. I may even chime in on topics where you have posted, but I will not engage you directly, because again, you are a prick. I have had nothing but good business dealings with the folks on this forum, and am pleased to have made a great number of friends here. I am equally pleased to know that you are not one of them.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Jason S!m@nds

Old 06-13-2014, 11:06 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
You will recall that you went on ad nauseum with attacks against my honesty as a collector, my professional and personal integrity, and you clamored how collectors would put me on their blocked list. For those who have forgotten, the thread I called Carterscards2006–it’s a long read:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133471

You seemed to take delight in having notified an ebay dealer with whom I had a dispute so that he would take to the forum and show me what’s what. Of course, it turns out he was a convicted felon who had only rather recently been released from prison for embezzlement of over a million dollars. In addition, when he came on the board and laid out his defense– an outlandish fabrication that was pounced on by the rest of the forum and decried as rubbish–your decision to intermeddle made you look even more foolish. Oh and by the way, I did in fact receive my full refund, so you were wrong on that too.
Wow, I don't even know where to start with this one. For anybody that doesn't want to read 53 pages of back and forth nonsense, here’s the synopsis: Todd bought a GAI graded card and decided to send it to SGC for cross over. It wouldn’t cross, so Todd wanted his money back. Some agreed that he should have been refunded, an equal number disagreed. I don’t want to re-hash the issue, but I do want to address Todd’s typical lies he posted. First, Todd, show me where I notified the seller. Second, you did not win the case, nor receive a refund – see page 46, post #452. Todd has a history of lying and backing out of deals. Below is a screenshot of 3 negatives Todd received for doing such. That was when sellers could leave negatives. From what I’ve heard Todd continues to back out of deals, only now the sellers can’t leave negative feedback to warn others. Joey, is that really you???

Quote:
Now more recently you once again decided to be the vanguard for the hobby, intermeddling when a board member pointed out how a Cy Symour Lenox went for cheap. You of course had to get involved and contact the seller, who ultimately refused to ship the card and claimed to have made a pricing error–although his pricing history of other cards suggested he simply did not know what he had. Many here would consider that to be poor form at best.
Yes, I did warn the seller of his pricing mistake because he was also a personal friend. You failed to mention that part, Todd. You wouldn’t do the same for a friend?

People can form their own conclusions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (72.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 06-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Barry Sloate

This is why we should not have political discussions on the board, as they always end badly....although I have been reading it.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
This is why we should not have political discussions on the board, as they always end badly....although I have been reading it.
I have written a post 3 different times, seriously 3, and not hit the "submit" button. I have been reading it too and was letting it go to try to be nice. As long as it doesn't get totally vile this thread will stay open. The rules against talking politics remains. Please don't do it on this board......this one thread...well, it's one thread.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Todd Schultz

Indeed people can draw their own conclusions. For example, please read post 275 in the Carter's thread, in which Mr. James tells P.Spaeth "Oh, I promise you it will get a lot better tomorrow. A little birdie told me so." Several hours later Pup6913 posts he was contacted by the felon who said he was alerted to the site by another board member; hmmm, I wonder who, and then two or so hours after that the con himself posts.

As for a refund,

So by all means, please judge for yourselves. BTW, that so-called history of lies and backing out of deals is explained in the thread, and of course went back 7 (now 10) years-- I also will explain them again to anyone who PMs me other than the prick. I would also invite anyone here who has had a bad or even discourteous transaction or pm exchange with me on net54 to alert the board to such event.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:14 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Your credit card company may have refunded you, in which case PayPal would have withdrawn the funds from the seller's account but, either way, YOU LOST YOUR EBAY DISPUTE. Period. Ebay sided with Carter's Cards on that one.

Continue with your name calling, Todd. When you can't prove your case with facts, demonize the other person. That's your MO.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Todd Schultz

Wrong again-- I won at the e-bay level. Keep posting as your credibility swirls down the toilet.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:33 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Someone is lying. On 3/1/11 Carter's Cards posted they won the eBay dispute and you would not be given a refund (see my screen shot below). However, your screen shot above shows you won the case a few days earlier on 2/28/11. This raises two questions:

1.) Why would Carter's Cards post that they won the dispute (supposedly after you already won) knowing you could easily refute it with the same screen shots you posted above?

2.) Why didn't you post the screen shots at the time to discredit them?

It just makes no sense.

So, I'm left believing either you or Carter's Cards. Tough choice. Do I believe the seller who has no reason to lie, or do I believe the buyer who is known for backing out on eBay deals?

Whatever, it's really not that important. If you got refunded then great for you, just another eBay transaction that Todd Shultz weaseled out on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (72.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 06-13-2014, 02:38 PM
Todd Schultz

You shot off your mouth as you repeatedly do, and once again it comes home to roost. And now you continue to call me a liar. Is there any wonder why I think you’re a prick?

I invite everyone to read the post from Carter’s cards, Post 282, which I will paste momentarily, so that you can see the inherent ridiculousness and flat out falsity of the man to whom Mr. James hitched his wagon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterscards2006 View Post
This is our first and last post on this site. We are not going to get ourselves involved in this circus that this thread has apparently become. The only reason we are even posting is to make everyone aware of what actually is going on here. For those customers of ours that have had nothing but positive experiences with us, thank you for your continued business and support.

In terms of the original post here from Todd, this is our position. We have been on ebay for over 10 years and have successfully completed 4,200+ transactions without a single incident. Each and every time we have an unsatisfied customer, we make it right immediately (as can clearly be seen in our feedback and our 5.0 star communication). For those that question our communication and customer service, our 5.0 perfect star rating should quickly end that discussion. Having said that, there is a point where an honest, customer service based business can get taken advantage of, and this is one of those instances. So ... here is the situation in a nutshell.

Within 2 days after Todd won this card, we were contacted by 2 other very reputable sellers (who WILL remain anonymous) and warned us that Todd may want to return the card down the road if things "don't work out" with either SGC or PSA. To make this more clear, Todd purchases GAI graded cards for 20% of their value (since we ALL know the risks associated with GAI) and if the cards cross to SGC or PSA he 5X his money. If they do not, he asks for a refund. In other words in this transaction, Todd either turns his $1,000 into $5,000 or gets his original investment back. Call us crazy, but this is clearly a scam. Because Todd pulls this act with ONLY very reputable sellers, he figures they will not want the hassle he may create (as he did here) and therefore they will return the money and he can't lose.

Well, we have decided to be the ones to stand up for the sellers out there and make a statement. See, we delivered the EXACT CARD that was described in the auction to Todd. He knew EXACTLY what he would be receiving and he knew EXACTLY what the risks were of purchasing a GAI graded card. Todd is a very smart person and has been a collector for a long time. He knows this exact same card in an SGC or PSA holder is worth many times what he paid. He also knows that he got this card at a huge discount because it was in a GAI holder and that there are implied risks of purchasing GAI graded cards. However, as he has done in the past, he figured if he sent the card off to SGC or PSA and they concluded there may be an issue, we would quickly refund his money. This time, Todd, you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar.

We want to point that many times buyers are unhappy for a myriad of reasons. In fact, 3 weeks ago a gentleman purchased $4,000+ worth of cards from us and emailed us 1 week later stating that his wife became ill and he really needed his money back for the cards to help with the doctor bills that were coming. He overnighted the cards back and we paypalled him his money back within 5 minutes of the receipt of the cards. If customers are honest and straight forward with us, we will always be with them. However, if customers are looking to "take advantage of us because we are honest sellers" we will not stand for this. As many of you have pointed out, we could have clearly refunded Todd his money and relisted the card. However, in doing so, we would be enabling Todd to take advantage of other sellers in the future and ultimately this behavior affects everyone in the hobby as prices have to be raised and sellers become less willing to work with their buyers.

To wrap things up, we just want to address the communication thing. When buyers out there are in the business of taking advantage of good sellers (like us), they DO NOT deserve the courtesy of our time to communicate back with them. As we have pointed out and another poster has pointed out, Todd knew exactly what he was doing here and clearly did not deserve any return communication from us. We quickly sent the claim to ebay and will let them deal with this. We just hope that this whole circus comes to an end and other buyers out there stay honest with us good sellers and we promise to return the favor.

Carterscards2006 will continue to ALWAYS provide each and every customer with top notch customer service and we will ALWAYS put the customer first as long as they do not try to deceive us. Our feedback proves that we have never had a dissatisfied customer in 10 years and 4,200+ transactions and you have our word we will continue to do provide the same first class service in the future.

Thank you, once again, to all of our great customers out there and we look forward to dealing with all of you for many years to come!!!

I would also point you to the last page or so of posts, where Mr. James continued to claim how the seller’s conviction for embezzlement and tax evasion with $1.6 million dollars in restitution has nothing to do with my transaction and apparently should have no bearing on whether he was lying in the thread. Now there’s a reason why criminal convictions of felonies involving dishonesty in the prior ten years are admissible in court cases to impeach a witnesses’ honesty, which I should not have to tell Mr. James– after all, he knows all about retainers and such. Yet it’s even more strange how acts of that magnitude are completely irrelevant to him on matters of seller’s truth-telling yet it is OK to essentially call me a liar because I “weasled out on” some screenshot of transactions that date back to 2002 (which again, I will be happy to explain by p.m.) Yeah, I’m the one who demonizes here.

Lastly, I would point out that I appealed the ebay decision and won a few days after the first complaint was denied. I did tell at least one moderator and several other friends here by pm that I had prevailed, and I apologize to the many who had my back and did not know until now that I won. I felt no obligation to share it with the many self-righteous turds who attacked my credibility throughout that carterscards fiasco (why didn't he amend his post to tell everyone he actually lost, I wonder?). This would include the pompous Mr. James, who in post 493 crowed “Well, my logic also said Todd would lose his case and I was right.” No prick, you were wrong.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:38 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

You keep resorting to name calling and just keep proving my point about the real Todd Schultz. That's 3 out of the last 4 posts in which you've called me a prick. You can go back and edit the post in which you didn't call me a prick to include it if it makes you feel better about yourself.

I'm done with you Todd. You're a little man that likes to set behind a keyboard and call names so that you feel better about your own life. At this point, I have better things to do and I'm sure you have another eBay seller to screw over.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Todd Schultz

I call 'em as I see 'em, and you earned every bit of it. You made no "point about the real Todd Schultz", as you are clueless as to anything meaningful about me. Had you asked anyone here about me, at least anyone who knows me, either then or since, you would have known that the crap you were at least implying if not stating about me had no basis. But you didn't. C'est la vie.

Leon, I appreciate your concern, shared by Barry and others, about political threads, but that really wasn't much of an issue here. I thought the dialogue on those topics here was and is mostly civil. I have no problem with debating the issues or, if you wish, letting others do so, and while I find some positions asserted by others to be unsupported, myopic or simplistic (IMHO), there was nothing personal or overly heated that I saw or posted. As for my exchanges with this "gentleman", they would have occurred whether the topic was the 1987 World Series or tough to find high-numbered 1961 Topps. I have no desire to discuss anything with him. Been there, done that. I agree that this one went afield and I sure had a hand in that, but I hope you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. I know you'll keep on doing a bang-up job on not letting things explode too much-- I swear I'll try my best to get along with everybody--well, almost everybody

Last edited by nolemmings; 06-13-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:26 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
are clueless as to anything meaningful about me. Had you asked anyone here about me, blah, blah, blah
I said I was done, but I had to reply to this post. You really, really want to know what people think about you, Todd. Well, here you go. This is a PM I received about you. I edited most of it as to not give up the member's name, but the important part is all there. I guess I do have a clue about you, huh? Todd, I don't have to ask members about you. They PM me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Todd.jpg (66.0 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-13-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Based on my dealings with him, I would not believe Carter's Cards if he said today was Friday.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.