NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Default What do yall make of this?

Posted By: James Robbins

Old 07-08-2003, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Hard to tell....I think it's a baseball card.....

Old 07-08-2003, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

from long experience with collecting T202s, they come in all stages of being washed out. I even had one where Cobb looks seasick. Kind of a big smile, though, no?

Not an expert on fake T205s--I can't even remember ever seeing as fake T202 (have 102).

Old 07-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

The T205 Cobb pictured appears to be a fake/reprint. Here's why: check out the small crease near the lower right corner and the wear around the edges and corners. Such defects on a REAL T205 would probably not show this type of "white" surface break/separation -- an indication that there is a disparity between the cardstock used on this reprinted issue and the original.

Old 07-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

These reprints are getting better and better.

Old 07-08-2003, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chris

i am not sure whos hi horse you guys are riding but it makes me sick. this card i have listed has been a treasure to me and all i have shown it to for years and years. now im on hard times and am forced to sell it. i owned a card shop for years and know all about the fake bs game out there. i also have been a seller on ebay for a little while and have seen what type of people are out there and what ebay has done to retail values ...but this makes me sick. being condemed by you people as a theif, fraud. not one of you would ever say it to my face .....instead i get emails like this.....Subject: Question for seller -- Item #2740305156

Are you sure this isn't a forgery? Tell the truth now. The corners
would not be that white when scuffed like that. It looks brand new. I
already know what the truth is however.
--------------------
Question from: mressay@hotmail.com..............

when you know what idiot....its real and i dont appreciate you accusing me of being a theif. are you going to go and make amends by telling everyone you were wrong....im sure not. the prejugmental opinions on this web site disgust me. i left my email so you can contact me if you want. i have nothing to hide. some of out there arent bad. i dont appreciate being accused like i have...........

chris

Old 07-08-2003, 08:27 PM
Administrator

when I said that "reprints are getting better and better looking," was that IF it is a reprint, then it sure looks like the real thing. Without seeing the card in person, it's tough to make any judgment about its authenticity. The T205 set has been officially and unofficially reprinted, but based on this one scan, I couldn't give any opinion as to authenticity or non-authenticity of this card. Just wanted to clear that up. I WOULD suggest that a Cobb which appears this nice would bring more money on ebay if it were slabbed and the owner might want to consider doing so.

Old 07-08-2003, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Not sure who "mressay" is that set the Cobb seller off, it wasn't me though...

Old 07-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Robbins

I thought it came from yankee...somebody posted the card earlier I believe. Maybe even on another message board. I talked to the guy and he is honest and everything is settled back to normal.

Old 07-08-2003, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

What'd you accuse the guy of putting up a forgery in the first place for? Now you've talked to him, and the whole appearance of the card has changed! I never saw anything wrong with it to begin with (but admitted not being an expert).

So be honest: what about the card bothers you? MW--you've really got to be kidding!

Old 07-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Administrator

...but I'm not convinced the card is real. The reverse looks authentic but the obverse leaves me with some question marks. Also, I think the seller's feedback rating is troublesome. And even IF the card were authentic, there is still no guarantee that the seller owns the card or would be able to deliver it to the winning bidder. The question has also been asked -- why has the seller not had the card graded or authenticated? If it's such a "treasure" as he claims, I would think that would have been a precursor to listing it on eBay. Furthermore, check out the seller's feedback rating. I think it is quite troublesome AND this seller has virtually NO track record of selling other, similar items. Conclusion? This is not an auction that interests me.

If the card looks authentic to you and the auction seems hospitable, go ahead a take a chance, Julie. By no means do you have to agree with my opinion on this card.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I too ran a sportscard shop for over 3 years (88-92)in Minnesota and the only so called "Retail" price was the Beckett, that everyone seemed to think was the bible for prices. If you think that ebay has hurt the pricing than you were making investments and buying the wrong things. Ebay has opened the world up to access to almost every possible sportscard available and the market bears itself on the final price. I for one am apprecaitive of all the vintage cards available to the general public. Going to shows in MN you rarely ever saw a pre- WWII card.

The market is what it is with buyer and seller using all tools available to both. "Retail" (if you can have that in nonnew items) was obviously too high.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Call me cynical, but I approach each unfamiliar eBay auction with the expectation that something could be wrong. In this case, I have a very strong feeling about several things that are not quite right. Some may disagree with my point of view on this, but my approach has served me well thus far -- I have purchased many raw cards at excellent prices and I have yet to end up with a reprint.

Old 07-09-2003, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: chris

wm........you go baxck on what you say so much its not fun. why did i not graded this card...because i was never going to sell this card. you even stated in your email to me last night................So it looks like one big confusion? I thought you were yankeeman....jesus.
I apologize man. Why didn't you say you were not yankeeman in the first
place? That is who we have all been harping on...him and ohiotarheelfan.
HOW ABOUT THIS...........THIS JOKER IS TELLING YOU GUYS ONE THING BUT HE BID ON THIS CARD TWICE!!!! HEY IDOIT, I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND...YOU ARE 2 TIMING ANG I AM SENDING YOUR EMAILS, USER ID AND THIS WEB SITE TO EBAY. I WISH I COULD MEET YOU IN PERSON.

Old 07-09-2003, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

HEY WM....WHY DONT YOU LEAVE YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS LIKE I DID? I WANT TO TALK TO YOU AND YOUR LAWYER. I JUST GOT DONE SENDING EBAY ALL YOUR CONENTS, THIS WEB SITES COMENTS, AND SCREEN NAMES. THIS WEB SITE AND YOU PEOPLE ACT IN COLUSSION AS YOU LIE ABOUT SELLERS CARDS, HAVING NO EXPERT KNOWLEGE OF YOUR OWN. THIS COSTS SELLER IN THE END AND WHAT DO YOU CARE? YOUR AN IDIOT. I HAVE ALREADY RECIEVED EMAILS FROM BIDDERS AS THEY FORWARDED MESSAGES ABOUT MY CARD BEING CALLED A FAKE BY YOU "EXPERTS". UNFORTUNITLY, THAT IS ILLEGAL. I HAVE NEVER SOLD A CARD LIKE THIS ON EBAY BECAUSE A T-205 Y COBB IS NOT SOMETHING THAT YOU SEE EVERYDAY. THIS IS THE ONLY ONE I HAVE EVER OWN AND WILL PROBABLY OWN. HOW ABOUT THIS WM, JUST GIVE ME YOUR LAWYERS NAME AND NUMBER AND I WILL MAKE SUR TO SETTLE THIS. HOW ABOUT THIS, LETS MAKE A BET. I WILL PULL THIS CAR OFF AND HAVE IT SENT IN TO THE GRADING COMPANY OF YOUR CHOICE. IF ITS FAKE, I WILL GIVE YOU 1000.00 DOLLARS AND YOU WILL NEVER SEE ME ON EBAY AGAIN. WHEN IT COMES BACK REAL, WE MAKE AN ARRANGMENT TO MEET IN PERSON. I WANT TO TALK TO YOU FACE TO FACE.

Old 07-09-2003, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

i have to agree with MW. i have two graded t205's in similar condition. Both do not display the whiteness that this card does. for a card to have rounded corners and a crease, but appear so white is very unusual for early issues in my opinion

Old 07-09-2003, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Chris/anonymous,

I think you are confused. I never sent any email to you. But I'll tell you something -- your posts here today have made me even MORE suspicious of the card you are selling. I think that you have single-handedly done more to cast doubt about the legitimacy of your auctions than anyone else.