NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Default Finds/Purchases made at the 2003 Atlantic City National

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Decided to start a new thread with regards to FINDS/PURCHASES made at this years NATIONAL.

I was able to pick up a near mint Roger Bresnahan PC 805 Novelty Cutlery Postcard, and a SGC 70 Chief Meyers T206 (Catching.)

Old 07-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

I was able to pick up the last '47 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson I need--for 3 times book. Superior auction.

Course, I was on the phone, 3000 miles away.

Old 07-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Not a whole lot of 19th century stuff, but I did pick up a very nice E107 Sam Mertes (thanks, Scott!) and a large 1911 Murad basketball card of my alma mater, WILLIAMS COLLEGE.

I did manage to find an Old Judge for someone else on the board, though.

Old 07-27-2003, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

I spent 2+ days walking the floor and came away with 4 T222's I needed and a few T207's. Thanks for the eagle eye on that Magee, Patrick...

For anyone who spends a lot of time scouring eBay - and who doesn't? - the inventory at the show wasn't anything special. For better or worse (I'd vote for better), there are no secret stashes anymore and many of the cards I saw had made at least a few previous appearances on-line. Kudos to the McKees for their stuff and their very reasonable prices.

The easy highlight of the show was meeting many of the board personalities: Scott B, Leon, JC, Mike Williams, Pete, Ryan Christoff and Matt Goebel, Tim Newcomb, Mike Peich, MW, Steve Lucas, Quan, Brooks, John Billingsley, Dan McKee, Tony Conte, Seth Nagdeman, and others I'm forgetting for the moment. Oh, yeah... and Elliot.

Scott gets my undying thanks for letting us camp out at his table. Those plastic chairs were a huge bonus after too much exercise.

Bill

Old 07-27-2003, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

and I just walked in the door at home from the national. Overall, I'm going to say it was pretty disappointing... I did not see anything that was of huge interest to me (or others I was scouting for...) Leon and Scott were very pleasurable, and I would say the highlight of the show was seeing Leon's case of "Not for Sale's" and Scotts gorgeous Ramly's (among other cards)... Dan had a beautiful Boston Garter countertop display, Jerry had some nice AG albums, and Terry had his usual pre-1900 one-of-a-kind stuff. However, nothing really seemed "to die for". Let me put it this way - for the first time in my life, I walked out of a national with $2000 more than I brought (and it wasn't because of Ceasars!!)

Old 07-28-2003, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Did any of you attending National (and I know we may have to wait a day for most guys to get home) find that card supplies of non-T205 and T206 cards were drying up? I was wondering if there were caramel cards for sale E90-1 through E102 in decent shape at decent prices and also if there seem to be other tobacco cards coming out of the closet like T207s, T212 Obaks and T213 Coupons? Finally, did there seem to be numbers of decent M116 Sporting Lifes for sale and what were they selling for, vis a vis book prices.
O.K., I'll stop and wait for replies. Quan gave me his take but I was wondering what the rest of you thought.

Old 07-28-2003, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Thanks John and Bill for emailing me some info. Looks like cards are really starting to dry up. All of a sudden the prices I paid for some M116s while you guys were gone are looking like bargains...

Old 07-28-2003, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

I'd like to thank Kevin for finding the card for me that he mentioned,and that i somehow missed the previous day.As i mentioned in a previous post,the only thing i bought was a nice Dave Orr script series old judge. Now if someone can find Kevin a George Shafer(Des Moines) old judge so i can return the favor to him that would be great

Old 07-28-2003, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

TBob, I went the first day. Entered the show at 11:00.
Although I don't collect 19th century material, the show was lean according to those that do collect 19th century material. Heard one gentleman mention that he had picked up 4 nice Mayos. Terry Knouse had his usual nice selection of both 19th and 20th century items. The show had a nice selection of T206s, both graded and raw, and an even better selection of T205s. Scott B. had an enormous selection of T204 Ramlys. M116s could also be seen on a regular basis along with T3s, T201s, and T202s. The sets that I was very surprised by the low volume of examples included: B18s, BF2s, S74s, all E-cards, and T213s. I was looking for T213s and saw ZERO. Modest selection of Obaks. With regards to rare items, I saw 3 E125s, a complete set of E90-2s, and 2 D322s. Hope this gives you a better idea of the selection to be had at this year's National.

Old 07-28-2003, 09:10 PM
Administrator

As most of us have been suspecting by the higher and higher prices for cards from the E93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101 and 102 sets, even in lower grade condition, the caramel cards from those sets have almost dried up. Besides you and I and about 4 or 5 other collectors who give T213s a run, no one else has a clue how tough they are. One of these days collectors will and I predict the prices will finally begin to reflect, to some extent, their scarcity.
A lot of people told me they absolutely couldn't find any of the 50-75 of the scarcer T207 cards. That didn't surprise me...

Old 07-29-2003, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

I'm still sorry I missed it. I picked up a lot of great stuff at last year's National, but the real fun of being there was meeting people and then socializing...and my prize - the Brittany Spears swatch card!

Old 07-29-2003, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I will be posting a little more about it in the next few days but it was good for me (personally).....I picked up some things I needed, met a lot of the folks I correspond with, and had an overall good time. I didn't talk to even ONE dealer that said they were able to buy anything worth mentioning. They did say, however, that sales were ok......be looking for some ebay items and much more info real soon......breast regards

Old 07-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

I can't disagree with what's been said so far. I thought the turnout was low, no "buzz" in the air at all and as far as offerings I wasn't overwhelmed but I certainly can't say it was a bad show.

Partial list of what I bought:

E90-1 Demmitt (SGC 70)
E90-1 Howell (SGC 80)
E90-1 Speaker (SGC 20) - deserves a 30
M131 Speaker (1st one I've seen)

Also, a nice selection of E98s with red backs including a Wagner, Coombs, and Vaughn.

And my prize catch: an un-catalouged E104-3!

Wiltse, New York - can now be added to your checklists all you candy fans. The one I found has the Nadja advertising on the back.

There were 2 dealers who would have made A LOT more money from me but their asking prices were just too high.

I had such a great time meeting and talking with so many people I had only known via my keyboard that even if I hadn't purchased one card I wouldn't have cared. I had a good time.

Old 07-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott

The show looked slow to me. I enjoyed meeting Mr.Leon as well. I did pick up a few A & G cards though.
2 - PSA 7 pool players
4 - PSA 6 billiard players
2 - Ramly TTT's PSA 5

It's time to sell one of my two Ramly packs.
The pack is at least Ex-Mt Please email me
directly with offers.
roscooe@aol.com

Scott ( Mr.Ginter )

Old 07-29-2003, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mckee

Thanks for the kind words from all. Pop had a great time! I could have stayed home. I never had a chance to walk around. The highlight is always meeting the new people and seeing the old friends. That is what keeps me attending! I had to wear sungalsses for the reflection of all of the shiny junk. Pete, email may please, I owe you a favor and may part with the overprint. I also have an M131 Speaker, i am curious what you paid for it. Take care, dan

Old 07-29-2003, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

First off, I have to say the highlight of the show was going to the Network 54 board dinner, if that tells you how the show was for Tammy and I. If it wasn't for a couple of over-priced 19th century items I purchased around the room, Tammy would have out shopped me, on the boardwalk, in those 99 cent stores.

I'll be posting some PICS of the dinner when we get them developed. It was great meeting many new faces and seeing "young" old faces.. I'm glad the hobby is alive and kicking!

Old 07-29-2003, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: murcerfan

I have only posted here once or twice, so hi to all who know me and those that don't.
I want to thank Leon, whom i enjoyed meeting, for sharing his enthusiasm and knowledge of 19th century cards. After I started drooling on his display case of mind numbing type cards, he must have figured I'd never leave without electro-shock or a D-359. Luckily he chose the later and hooked me up with one of my best show buys....a gorgeous Williams Baking Livingston in SGC 70! I hope this doesn't get you in hot water with other collectors leon, but you made my day. My SGC 40 Livingston did not make 50 on review, so it's all that much sweeter.
Also I want to thank Dan mckee for letting me view those amazing George C. Millers and for his dad for selling me a decent T227 Marquad that is much nicer than the tattered one I have.
meeting you guys, along with Brooks, was a real highlight to a national I enjoyed thoroughly.

Old 07-31-2003, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Three25hits

I met Elliot, SB, MW, and Leon.

Wanted to thank Leon for giving me the guided tour of his type cards on display. That was certainly a highlight of my trip.

Old 07-31-2003, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank

I'm looking to start a PSA graded T205 set. The few cards at the National that I did find, were horribly overpriced.

Frank

Old 08-01-2003, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Frank
Vivian Barning is breaking a set and selling it on Ebay. She has already listed a few with more to come. Send her an email at vbarning@aol.com and ask her what's left. Good luck Brian

Old 08-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

To me, this National did seem a little quieter than the last two-- but that's a very subjective thing to react to. There is certainly some nice stuff if you're willing to scour the place, sometimes in unlikely places.

My main finds:

T206 Pfeffer with a BEAUTIFUL Red Hindu back. $210 from a major dealer not known for his low prices.

A $40 OJ whose name has faded, but the seller had it listed as Tommy McCarthy. Seth helpfully compared it to the lovely Mayo McCarthy in his auction, and we concluded it does look like the same player.

I don't know how to add images to this message, but I can email scans to anyone who wants to see them.

It was great to meet everyone: Elliot, Bill Cornell, Pete Calderon, Steve, Quan, Brooks, Jay Miller, Dan McKee and his dad, and others I'm unhappily forgetting right now.

Leon, it was even nice to see you again. The ghostly "red hindu" noises did subside after a few days.

And finally, a big old sloppy Democratic kiss to Scott B. for the great hospitality at his table. )

Tim