NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Graig Kreindler

Default A Yankee Stadium question...

Hey everyone,

Hope y'all are keeping warm in these last days of winter. Lord knows NY is still a frozen prison.

Anywho, I'm just about done with this painting:

However, I'm having an issue that's bugging the crap out of me. In the photo I'm using for reference, I can't seem to locate where the rightfield foul-line is. The same goes for that photo's twin (which often accompanies it). Check it:

So, my question to you old timers (excuse the expression) involves the old Yankee Stadium (or really anyone from that period). What I wonder is, before the games, were the foul-lines painted in fairly close to the start-time? I just keep finding myself wondering if these shots were taken before they were painted in for the game.

They're definitely some fans in the stands and all, so I would imagine that it's not too far off from the start-time. And the light seems to be typical for around 1:00 or so in April. I would imagine that the contest started at around 2:30, as I have a few shots of Whitey Ford throwing out the ceremonial first pitch at around 2:25. With that in mind, there's about and hour and change of room for pregame stuff. And, it originates from Mantle's debut game on April 17 of '51, so I would imagine that those lines would be especially bright and white on that day.

Soooooo, I'm not too sure why I don't see them. Is it possible that I've been looking at it too long? Are they right in front of my face?

Any thoughts or help on this stupid minutia would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Graig
Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 PM

Yes, the foul lines were re-chalked after batting practice, just before the game.

But the foul line is visible in those photos--look again!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 PM

Do I win the painting?

Please?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 PM

On the picture on the right, about a quarter inch in front of the fielder standing on the warning track appears to be the remnant of a white foul line. On the picture on the left, there appears to be another line to the left of Mantle ' s knee. The photographs appear to be taken by someone who was on a knee. I think the lack of definition in the foul line is due to the camera angle. If there is no remnant of a foul line (and my eyes are off as well), my best guess is the Yankees are taking BP, and the line has yet to be drawn by the grounds crew. I remember them chalking the lines with a little device on wheels.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:45 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

I think the lines look to be about here, unless I'm going blind too...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mantle.jpg (69.3 KB, 204 views)
Old 03-19-2013, 08:39 PM
J0n Fu.ld

Unbelievably awesome painting
Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
I think the lines look to be about here, unless I'm going blind too...?
That's where I see them too.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks for the responses, everyone - as well as your compliments!!

David, the painting could be yours, but the guy who commissioned it seems to really be attached to it, too. I say you guys fight to the death!!! Actually, that's not a good idea. They're much more important things to fight for. Sorry, it's been a long night...painting, wedding stuff, etc. But regardless, I really appreciate the sentiments.

Regarding that line, I dunno...for some reason, I'm not 100% sold on it being the foul line. The way I read it was that the line follows the break between the grass and the wide dirt/clay track that surrounded the grass. I feel like the foul line would probably cut across the field at a different angle?

This color slide from 1953 shows what I'm talking about:

Maybe because of the angle, I can't see it like springpin had mentioned?

Or really, I'm just crazy? Probably? Punch me in the face, please.

Graig
Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 PM
qualitycards

Graig, that Mantle is fantastic!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 AM

Default JimStinson

Amazing Painting !!! Its like the Mick & the 1950's are back ! In living color alive and vibrant as ever. Wow !
Old 03-20-2013, 01:56 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Hey everyone,

Hope y'all are keeping warm in these last days of winter. Lord knows NY is still a frozen prison.

Anywho, I'm just about done with this painting:

However, I'm having an issue that's bugging the crap out of me. In the photo I'm using for reference, I can't seem to locate where the rightfield foul-line is. The same goes for that photo's twin (which often accompanies it). Check it:

So, my question to you old timers (excuse the expression) involves the old Yankee Stadium (or really anyone from that period). What I wonder is, before the games, were the foul-lines painted in fairly close to the start-time? I just keep finding myself wondering if these shots were taken before they were painted in for the game.

They're definitely some fans in the stands and all, so I would imagine that it's not too far off from the start-time. And the light seems to be typical for around 1:00 or so in April. I would imagine that the contest started at around 2:30, as I have a few shots of Whitey Ford throwing out the ceremonial first pitch at around 2:25. With that in mind, there's about and hour and change of room for pregame stuff. And, it originates from Mantle's debut game on April 17 of '51, so I would imagine that those lines would be especially bright and white on that day.

Soooooo, I'm not too sure why I don't see them. Is it possible that I've been looking at it too long? Are they right in front of my face?

Any thoughts or help on this stupid minutia would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Graig

Graig,

Not sure about the line but you have certainly captured the essence of Mickey in his first major league game. As I mentioned in our last conversation, I have the Type 1 INS photo composite of both images (printed from the original negatives) and although crystal clear, the natural lighting (or lack of) on Mickey's face in the print makes it difficult to fully appreciate the youthful characteristics that defined his rookie season persona.

Not the case with your painting, which really makes one feel he is seeing a baby faced Mickey as he was at the start of the 1951 season. A really remarkable transformation to the canvas that actually gives me goose bumps!!! Unless I find something better from '51 when I finally go through my entire photo collection, you may have to do this one again.

All my best.

Cheers,

Craig
Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 AM
Graig Kreindler

Jay, Jim and Craig, thank you SO much for your kind words! I really appreciate them, fo' sho'.

Craig, I didn't know you had a Type 1 of this - awesomeness! Since this guy's already sold, I might get skinned alive if I do another of the same image. I could always do the other one of him batting lefty, though!

Thanks again, everyone.

Graig
Old 03-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Mike

That is a fantastic painting. Was born after he retired (1971), but Mick has always been a favorite of mine.

Terrific job on it.

Mike
Old 03-21-2013, 12:20 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I agree with the goosebumps when look atthis painting. You have an amazing talent.

As for the foul line......I have no idea as I was just marveling at the painting!!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:05 AM
Graig Kreindler

Aww, thanks so much guys.

Graig