NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
Shop Ebay Promotions
Vintage Memorabilia
Pre WWII-(Pre 1942) Baseball
Post WWII (1942-1980) Baseball
Modern (1980-present) Baseball

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 PM
Jay Cee

Couple more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8977.jpg (79.6 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8978.jpg (67.6 KB, 269 views)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:48 AM
Jason Wells

I enjoyed reading the articles thanks for posting them!
Old 01-13-2019, 08:39 AM

Default Cobb....

what a badass!!

sounds like he didn't take any shit....

I wonder if boss Schmidt did kick his ass???
Old 01-13-2019, 09:12 AM

Default Who was the target of T206?

Did the American Tobacco Company deliberately target minors with T206 and other tobacco cards, or was this just an unintended consequence of a successful marketing campaign that was targeted at adults? It seems at best this craze resulted in children hounding smokers for their cards, and even buying cigarettes themselves just for the cards, but at worst it may have resulted in many kids buying and trying tobacco for the first time and becoming life long smokers themselves.

Maybe Wagner saw this as deliberate targeting of minors and wanted no part of it?
Old 01-13-2019, 09:39 AM

I think it was targeted at adults, but the kids wanted the cards. Companies had been using cards to promote cigarettes for years (Old Judge, Allen & Ginter, etc.) without this problem, or at least to this degree. My impression has always been that baseball in the 19th century wasn't that popular. It was dominated by players gambling and drinking heavily. It had a very negative public image. By 1909, the game was "cleaning" itself up and was much more popular with the public in general and kids specifically. Parents would have been more accepting of their children following the game. Local players would be looked up to as well as the legends, Wagner and Cobb. So, when these cards were released, it was natural for kids to chase cards of their heroes.

Also, remember at this time we saw a bunch of candy card sets released. I think that the candy manufacturers saw that kids were chasing after t206 baseball cards and saw a new market. The followed ATC's lead and started issuing cards with their products. If t206 was targeting kids, then why hadn't candy manufacturers recognized this market and exploited it? I think the explosion of t206 was something that took everyone by surprise. Like any other fad or new hobby, it comes out of no where. t206 is the beginning of the baseball card collecting hobby that we have today.

Last edited by rats60; 01-13-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:29 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLange View Post
Did the American Tobacco Company deliberately target minors with T206 and other tobacco cards, or was this just an unintended consequence of a successful marketing campaign that was targeted at adults? It seems at best this craze resulted in children hounding smokers for their cards, and even buying cigarettes themselves just for the cards, but at worst it may have resulted in many kids buying and trying tobacco for the first time and becoming life long smokers themselves.

Maybe Wagner saw this as deliberate targeting of minors and wanted no part of it?
This was happening in the 1880's but maybe not to the same degree.

Old Judge and kids collecting them 1a.jpg
Old Judge and kids collecting them 1b.jpg
Old 01-13-2019, 03:18 PM

Default Amazing articles!

Those are some spectacular hobby stories! Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Some more that Patrick found..the first ones were sort of small, sorry about that.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:59 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Here's another nice Cobb article

Cobb part 1.jpg
Cobb part 2.jpg
Old 01-17-2019, 06:28 PM
David M.

I was surprised this Old Mill ad said that you get two cards per pack. It seems that it was usually only 1 per pack in most of the examples I've seen for other brands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Mill Advert.jpg (73.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Unopened American Beauty Pack.jpg (42.7 KB, 94 views)