NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2019, 08:42 PM
James

Quote: darwinbulldog
The cards have been around for 100 years. People are just realizing they are attractive? Makes no sense.
+1. Also I think the Young portrait is maybe the ugliest portrait card in the entire set.

interesting glenn, young portrait is one of my favorites

Last edited by griffon512; 01-18-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:20 PM

I've always loved the Young Port too. He looks very dignified.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:48 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I think David Clayton-Thomas' first line says it all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4bSBLctK0g

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:05 AM

Nice thread going here. I Definitely agree, top T206 HOF's Cobb, Wajo, Cy Young are shooting way up in price lately. Even when I want to buy a group of commons either individually or in a lot, if they're nice looking raw cards, they have gone up in price.

Even a low to mid grade, raw group was $15 to 20 per card now has become $20 to 25 per card, even higher.

When I restarted buying T206s over a year ago, I tried to focus on the big HOF's first, I got some of them at the time, which was to my advantage.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:38 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

It's just easier to take a chance on something like baseball cards right now because....what the hell. I'm not gonna earn money putting it in the bank. If you have cash, what's the point of buying a 6 month cd? Interest rates on savings accounts are basically zero, and have been for years. Interest rates on Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth > 0.

....until the next MLB work stoppage, that is.

People are also buying classic pickup trucks right now too. Unfortunately, I don't have enough room in my garage. I wonder how coins are doing?

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 7.03.37 AM.jpg

Last edited by SAllen2556; 01-19-2019 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:56 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Definitely a significant herd mentality. People start chasing cards that they hear other people are chasing. Jackie's Bond Bread a year or two ago. Shouldn't really be surprising. Human nature. People do it with stocks, real estate, cars, vacation homes, vacation destinations, colleges. Figure others know something you don't and you jump on the bandwagon.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:00 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Definitely a significant herd mentality. People start chasing cards that they hear other people are chasing. Jackie's Bond Bread a year or two ago. Shouldn't really be surprising. Human nature. People do it with stocks, real estate, cars, vacation homes, vacation destinations, colleges. Figure others know something you don't and you jump on the bandwagon.
totally agree that this occurs!
Old 01-19-2019, 07:22 AM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
totally agree that this occurs!
Now that you both said it, me too.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post
It's just easier to take a chance on something like baseball cards right now because....what the hell. I'm not gonna earn money putting it in the bank. If you have cash, what's the point of buying a 6 month cd? Interest rates on savings accounts are basically zero, and have been for years. Interest rates on Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth > 0.

People are also buying classic pickup trucks right now too. Unfortunately, I don't have enough room in my garage. I wonder how coins are doing?

Attachment 341331
Sure, at your local bank they will likely pay you near 0%.

You can get ~2.4% for a 6 month CD at a place like Schwab, Citi etc. Keeps up with inflation at least.

Last edited by silvor; 01-19-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:17 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't think we can group the Bond Bread Jackie portrait as a herd thing. i believe that the impetus for that card's rise was the research recently published that demonstrated it was a true rookie card. At that point a lot of collectors realized that a fairly difficult and somewhat obscure card was a very attractive rookie card of a major historical figure. Kinda like what happened when the evidence was arrayed that photo-matched Joe Jackson into a T202 action image.

Now, in terms of postcards and Exhibit cards, people are waking up to the fact that attractive career-contemporary cards of the greats can be had for a fraction of the price of T or R cards, even now when there has been some price rise.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-19-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:40 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
I picked on Celtics fans b/c the other day I was bidding on a T205 WAJO sgc 50 that I won for under a grand. I clicked on the sellers "see other auctions" and there was a Jayson Tatum at $4600 with an hour to go and 26 bids. I just thought it was humorous. There is a Jayson Tatum card with a BIN of $200,000.00 on eBay. My post was in response to Pete's title that states "some vintage card prices going crazy."
Nice score on the WaJo! I'm with you on the modern stuff. But it's not just crazy, it's bat-sh!t-insane-asylum crazy.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAllen2556 View Post

Attachment 341331
This is a good point, I think. I'm not sold that a herd mentality would be the biggest factor in prices driving up - and in particular, that's because the herd mentality didn't work very well with the Koufax rookie market manipulation a couple years ago. If a herd mentality is all it takes, that card would have stayed at the inflated prices. And FWIW, the fact that that manipulation didn't seem to have a long-term impact makes me think that the hobby is probably in a healthy place.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
Nice score on the WaJo! I'm with you on the modern stuff. But it's not just crazy, it's bat-sh!t-insane-asylum crazy.
Recent sales on modern cards
Playoff Contenders Tom Brady RC 12433.00
National Treasures Stephen Curry RC 12700.00
Bowman Chrome Mike Trout RC 19750.00
Upper Deck Exquisite Kevin Durant RC 40105.00

t206 cards are cheap. We have been collecting for so long that we have become oblivious to price increases in the hobby. I bought the cards discussed here for 20-50 dollars. Cobbs for 100-200 dollars. Back then modern rookies were 1-5 dollars.

There are several factors here. Investors shifting money from other investments to high end vintage. Also, modern collectors who are used to paying 500-1000 for a pack of cards and selling modern cards for thousands of dollars shifting to vintage. Neither group is concerned with what these cards sold for 5, 10 or 35 years ago. They see a track record of gain in hobby staples and that is where they want to park their money.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:24 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
There are several factors here. Investors shifting money from other investments to high end vintage. Also, modern collectors who are used to paying 500-1000 for a pack of cards and selling modern cards for thousands of dollars shifting to vintage. Neither group is concerned with what these cards sold for 5, 10 or 35 years ago. They see a track record of gain in hobby staples and that is where they want to park their money.
I guess I see the modern market as a much different beast than the vintage one, perhaps even so much so that they are separate markets altogether. What happens in one doesn't necessarily have much bearing on what happens (or might happen) in the other. So I don't necessarily see the speculation in the modern market having a strong connection to what is happening to prices in the vintage one.
In that way, I don't believe that adage, "a rising tide lifts all boats" for cards. A record sale for a PSA 6 1952 Topps Mantle doesn't necessarily mean anything for other 1952 Topps, other Mantles or even other graded 1952 Mantles, and even less for cards from other eras of other players. And sometimes a card is even a market unto itself.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
I guess I see the modern market as a much different beast than the vintage one, perhaps even so much so that they are separate markets altogether. What happens in one doesn't necessarily have much bearing on what happens (or might happen) in the other. So I don't necessarily see the speculation in the modern market having a strong connection to what is happening to prices in the vintage one.
In that way, I don't believe that adage, "a rising tide lifts all boats" for cards. A record sale for a PSA 6 1952 Topps Mantle doesn't necessarily mean anything for other 1952 Topps, other Mantles or even other graded 1952 Mantles, and even less for cards from other eras of other players. And sometimes a card is even a market unto itself.
Maybe in the past, but that line is disappearing. I see more and more guys that collect modern cards looking to enter the vintage market. Guys "invest" in a young player and hit it big, so they look to put part of their profits into key vintage cards that don't have the risks involved like modern cards do.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:30 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Maybe in the past, but that line is disappearing. I see more and more guys that collect modern cards looking to enter the vintage market. Guys "invest" in a young player and hit it big, so they look to put part of their profits into key vintage cards that don't have the risks involved like modern cards do.
But isn't that an example of moving the money into a different market? I'd like to make a perfect comparison, but I'm sure this will be clunky as I'm not well versed on investments: I see your example not unlike somebody making money in one investment (derivatives, perhaps?) and going into something else (blue chip stocks, I suppose). I don't think those would be grouped together in the same market, just as I don't think vintage and modern are in the same market.
There are certainly factors that overlap with modern and vintage cards, but I guess I see many factors that are different, particularly the artificial scarcity of the 1/1, the gambling on an unfinished career (prospecting), etc.
Perhaps this is all semantics, but from my point of view, there are enough differing factors and influences that it creates a separation of markets in which what happens in one doesn't necessarily have a bearing on the other.