NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-21-2017, 07:36 PM
David Kathman

Default Program from the first Philly show, 1975

I know a lot of Net54ers have been to the Philly show over the years, so I thought people might like to see this program from the very first Philly show in 1975. One day, from 10 am to 5 pm, at Spring Garden College. I'm not sure if any of the people in the dealer list are members of this board other than Rob Lifson, who rarely posts.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:18 PM
Val Kehl

David, as many others have already said, I, too, am most appreciative of all the hobby history you have posted on Net54.

Re the list of dealers at the 1975 Philly Show, folks may be interested to learn that Don Ortolani of Sterling Park, VA, still sets up at virtually all of the Chantilly, VA, Shows, the next one of which is July 14 - 16. I encourage anyone attending the Chantilly Show to stop by Don's tables and say hello - I'm sure Don will be tickled if you mention that you saw his name listed on the program for the 1975 Philly Show.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 AM
David Kathman

I don't know Don Ortolani, but I have a lot of his old hobby publications from that era, mainly Ballcard Collector and The Trader Speaks.

Also, I just noticed that the acknowledgements include Terry Gross of WUHY Radio. That's the same Terry Gross who has done the "Fresh Air" program for NPR for many years, and she had just started the local version of it in Philadelphia that year. I wonder if she had had a baseball card collector on her show to promote the convention.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:04 PM
Rob.ert He.rd

Very nice program.

The drawings are awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:24 PM
Bob Hamlin

Irv Lerner was an old time collector who owned a card store in Willow Grove PA. He was a nice guy who has since passed on, and had some great old Connie Mack relics, an old turnstile that I should have bought looking back on it.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:27 AM
Glyn Parson

I have tickets to the second third and fourth shows. They are pretty neat little items.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:29 AM
Tony Conte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsbats View Post
Irv Lerner was an old time collector who owned a card store in Willow Grove PA. He was a nice guy who has since passed on, and had some great old Connie Mack relics, an old turnstile that I should have bought looking back on it.
Was he the Baseball Card Man and his store had a Connie Mack sign?
Also, big smoker too?
Old 06-26-2017, 10:02 AM
Randy Trierweiler

That's an awesome program which brings back memories from the 1970s. Irv Lerner, Bob Schmierer, Rob Lifson, Gar Miller, & Bob Bartosz are all familiar names to me.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:13 PM
David Kathman

I have a lot of Irv Lerner's old hobby publications from the 1960s and 70s, like this copy of Frank Nagy's Auction Corner from 1966 that I included in my post on Walter Corson:

George Vrechek did a profile of Irv for Sports Collector's Digest in 2008, which is available online here:

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/irv_lerner/

And on the Old Baseball site with illustrations:

http://oldbaseball.com/refs/Irv_Lerner.pdf

Also, I did a post about Gar Miller here:

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=234348
Old 06-28-2017, 08:13 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks again for sharing these things, David. A lot of us enjoy them.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconte View Post
Was he the Baseball Card Man and his store had a Connie Mack sign?
Also, big smoker too?
For the past 25 or so years, Irv Lerner was known as "The Ring Man", collector and purveyor of championship rings. I did not know of his passing. Until recently, he would set up yearly at the National and sell rings.

I also was not aware that he once ran a card shop. When I first met him in 1972, he had an extraordinary baseball card collection. He would be classified as a collector / dealer.

I still own a few Bazooka items I purchased from Irv in 1972-73; I prized them then and most assuredly still do today.

For what it's worth, back in the 70s, when there was still public smoking at the big shoes, I never saw Irv smoke. Frank Nagy was almost always seen smoking, but not Irv.

I noticed the amazing freebee of the 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks Whitey Lockman, contributed by Rob Lifson. The card was from his recent find, and would have been in virtually MINT condition. I wrote about that find. Stahl-Meyers were "never seen" in that kind of condition.

As always, thanks for posting this significant hobby document, David.

Kind regards, Brian Powell