NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Sean Brennan

Default anyone ever print custom cards here?

I was hoping someone would have a suggestion. I'm trying to print out a custom card set and seem to be having trouble with thickness. I've made a card set for a movie from the 70s and am trying to get it printed to look similar to 70s cards. It seems here in my howmetown the thickest I can get it printed on is 14 point paper. Does anyone know a reasonably priced place that can print on at least 15 point paper if not thicker?
Thanks
Old 03-06-2013, 12:32 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit1 View Post
I was hoping someone would have a suggestion. I'm trying to print out a custom card set and seem to be having trouble with thickness. I've made a card set for a movie from the 70s and am trying to get it printed to look similar to 70s cards. It seems here in my howmetown the thickest I can get it printed on is 14 point paper. Does anyone know a reasonably priced place that can print on at least 15 point paper if not thicker?
Thanks
Scott Forrest has made a set of Old Judge reprints that came out really nice. From what I remember I think he cut his finger really bad cutting them off strips though. Maybe he will chime in or you can reach out to him.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Sean Brennan

Awesome looking forward to hearing about it. I'm having a heck of a time getting these to look right at a reasonable price.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

Default anyone ever print custom cards here?

I do cards every year for my 4th. graders. We use a canon color copier. If you want thick cards, you'll have to use a 4 or 6 color press. That can be very expensive. They generally want to print multiple sheets, though. You can use a power cutter to cut the cards. Most printers have one.

The biggest problem with printing cards is making sure the registration is perfect. The canon copier is great for this. Only drawback is that you have to print on thinner cardstock. We use 10 point coated two side paper.

Last edited by rdwyer; 03-06-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Belltown Vintage

Leon got the story right.

I didn't respond because you said you were looking for someone to print for you. I have no experience with that.

Doing it yourself isn't that difficult - it just involves a lot of planning, testing and patience. I've cut thousands of things since those OJ's, and haven't hurt myself badly since.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Sean Brennan

Thanks guys!

Scott did you have to settle with thin paper?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Dave

I used Vistaprint to make up a very nice postcard sized, glossy front, two sided card set for the opening of the Bareknuckle Boxing Hall of Fame, several years ago. I also made up a custom envelope for them to go in.

I'm not sure they would meet the specifications you need though. You'd have to go through their options. I basically designed them myself using the tools they provide on-line and submitted them. Lots of trial and error.

Since each card has to be designed individually and ordered separately, it might not be cost effective if you have a large set of say 100 cards. Mine was only a 10 card set.

I've also done some very nice custom two-sided business cards with them.

It's been years, but I think I was limited to a few standard sizes like: Business card sized, postcard sized. I don't know if you could do a standard Topps card size with them.

I'm not sure of the thickness, but the set I made up is pretty solid. Modern Postcard type stock, plus the glossy fronts gave them a bit more rigidity.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

I've been doing them since 2004. Sorry, had to blank the faces to protect the children. They get better each year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0027.jpg (54.4 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0029.jpg (62.5 KB, 166 views)
Old 03-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

No, Sean. For the ones that I sold, I glued photo paper to watercolor paper.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 PM
P.hil €lli$

I was going to use VistaPrint to make a Pre-War Baseball Card Calendar, but my scanner is a piece of $#)^! and I couldn't get high quality images. I also only collect T206 and they are all graded, so makes it even more difficult.

I was going to suggest that "we" should put together a Pre-War Card Calendar. A nice layout each month of a different issue would be awesome. Maybe it could be a collaborative effort and they could be sold right here on the sight (much like the Net54 T shirts).

Thoughts?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Sean Brennan

Great cards!
Scott I considered doing that but I have front and backs. Would love to do it that way though.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Steve Liskey

Quote:
Thanks
I've been making custom football (and a little basball) cards for a couple years now with great success. Contact me and I can send you some samples of my work.

Last edited by CowboysGuide; 03-06-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Bob Lemke

I print my customs on two sheets (fronts and backs) of Avery #8255 full-page labels, then attach them to a cardboard core. You can print 9 modern (2-1/2" x 3-1/2") cards on an 8-1/2" x 11" sheet.

Getting fronts and backs aligned is critical and cutting into singles is an exacting process, but the results are decent.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 03-06-2013, 06:14 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
I was going to use VistaPrint to make a Pre-War Baseball Card Calendar, but my scanner is a piece of $#)^! and I couldn't get high quality images. I also only collect T206 and they are all graded, so makes it even more difficult.

I was going to suggest that "we" should put together a Pre-War Card Calendar. A nice layout each month of a different issue would be awesome. Maybe it could be a collaborative effort and they could be sold right here on the sight (much like the Net54 T shirts).

Thoughts?
Love the calendar concept...that would be fantastic!
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Great cards!
Scott I considered doing that but I have front and backs. Would love to do it that way though.
As Bob said, getting the fronts and backs aligned is critical - it is not easy.

I've only done backs on two different sets. The first time, I thought I had the alignment perfect, and it turned out I was completely wrong.

The second time, I nailed it. Some remember that I created a sheet of 'backs' that I included with each OJ reprint set. I also created a single prototype set with the backs actually on the cards. It wasn't easy, but it worked. I abandoned that plan because the backs with stats just looked too modern. I still have the prototype set - I'll create a couple of scans and post at some point.

You've gotten me fired up about this again. Thinking I might re-start the card set project, but give it a twist (not OJ's this time around).
Old 03-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Sean Brennan

Thanks Bob! That would save me a lot of money if I could get that right but I have a feeling aligning them would be a nightmare. What cardboard do you use?

Scott - Glad to hear it. let us know what you do
Old 03-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Bob Lemke

I should have provided more details originally. Here's how I align fronts and backs.

1) Print 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of fronts on full-page label
2) Attach sheet to 8-1/2" x 11 sheet of cardboard
3) Cut the resulting piece down to the borders of the cards. I have cutting marks at the corners on my various (8-card Topps, 8-card Bowman, 9-card Topps, etc.) templates.
4) Cut the sheet of backs to the borders of the cards.
5) Attach backs to the cardboard.
6) Cut into single cards.

It is critical that you attach the back sheet to the front/cardboard assembly so that it is on squarely, otherwise you will get misaligned or diamond-cut singles.

The cardboard sheets I use are rather generic. A label on back identifies the maker as Pacon Corp., Appleton, Wis., "104225 White / Economy". I buy it in 22" x 28" sheets at a local craft shop. Hobby Lobby has similar sheets. I don't know what "weight" the sheets are; I just handle them in the store to get a feel for what seems to fit the vintage format.

For some of my cards I print the fronts on Avery #8383 Glossy Postcard stock, and attach the label sheets with the backs. I use this for my 1954-55 Topps cards and 1955 Bowmans. These are actually too thin to closely replicate the vintage cards, but in a top-loader you wouldn't notice it.

I have in the past printed the fronts on the glossy postcard stock, glued it to a cardboard core and attached the backs label, but have found that the glue too often finds it way onto the fronts.

I've been at this for nearly 10 years and am still learning, tweaking my techniques.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 03-07-2013, 03:08 PM
Belltown Vintage

My method's a bit different:

Each sheet of cards has vertical 'cutting' marks along the top and bottom of the sheet, and horizontal 'cutting' marks along the left and right borders. These marks extend all the way to the borders. All you have to do is line them up on both the back and front sheets (and optionally, with a sheet between them). If you have a problem doing this, trim through the cut marks on the thicker sheet, all the way around. There are other issues you may encounter that I can walk you through - all easily solvable.