NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Default Highest Price Baseball Related

Posted By: Old Judge Collector

before any of you say hes going to spam this topic im nnot im only goona post 1 2 3 maybe 4 but most likely not okay

What is the highest price you saw or heard of thats baseball related mine is the 2 billion dollar wagner whats your

and again im not doing this becasue of money i just want to have a good time and have so me fun on this topic even if it will be pretty much impoosible WHO CARES if your most likely your never gonna get it that just have some fun guys

Old 07-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T Engle

There was a 2 billion dollar Wagner?

Old 07-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

why?

Old 07-01-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The Mark McGwire 70 home run ball originally sold for about $3 million. I would guess that's the record for a piece of baseball memorabilia. The ball is not worth near that much today, and many thought the price was high at the time.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike (18colt)

. . . the New York Yankees franchise (and stadium). That would have to be the "highest price baseball related". Farther down the list would be a toss-up between the Devil Rays and A-Rod.

Just adding some humor. But, as another poster in another thread mentioned, perhaps S-L-O-W-I-N-G down and using correct punctuation, grammar, and spelling (as best as you can, though I was a decent speller at age 11) so that we all understand what you want to discuss would be helpful.

Good luck finding your answer to this one. And seriously, use the resources to investigate some of these answers before you post.

Mike (18colt)

Old 07-01-2006, 11:34 AM
Administrator

well according to t206.net a 1909 T206 Honus Wagner PSA 10 Broad Leaf Series 460 the estimated price was

2,812,500,000 if ever one exist that would most likely be the highest priced unless there a baseball related thing thats over 2 billion dollars which i highly doubt but you can never know anybody know any

Old 07-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

There has never been a wagner sold for 2 billion dollars.

As for the T206 museum's pricing, that is an estimator only and it does not consider impossibilities - for example, the wagner was not made with a broadleaf back, yet the estimator doesnt account for that fact. I think its also safe to assume that if one existed, no one in their right mind would pay 2 billion for a piece of cardboard - I mean that type of money would even hurt Bill Gates' pocket book.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Sean- As long as we are all having fun, where did you hear about a 2 billion dollar Wagner? Are you aware just how much 2 billion dollars is? Do you understand that what your read about the Broadleaf Wagner doesn't actually exist? It's called a theoretical price, not a real one.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Administrator

I don't think Sean was trying to be literal with price.

Though to be technical, Sean asked "what is the highest price you've ever heard that's baseball related." The $2 billion he just said is the highest baseball related price I've ever heard (rather, read)-- so my answer is $2 billion too.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

oh, ok. Then mine would be the 3 billion dollars that barry bonds just offered me to develop a new undetectable designer steriod that would jump start his stalled chase of Aaron's HR record.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Then what exactly is Sean doing? All he asks is the same tired question of what's worth the most, and something that doesn't exist is worth nothing.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

2 Billion Dollars . . .

Old 07-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

If we are in the realm of the hypothetical, if any card of Ruth before the 1914 Baltimore Newsboys were to come to light, I imagine that one would really bring high numbers. Or anything confirmed game-used from his St. Mary's Industrial days. Or his first home run ball. That's one to try to imagine.

On the other hand, a few years ago a ball that was presented as the ball used in the first baseball game was sold in a Mastro auction. It had fairly decent provenance, including letters from both Alexander Joy Cartwright and his estate, that suggested it was used in the very first game in June 1946.

I watched that auction like a hawk, thinking that would surely go for a gazillion dollars. It ended up at something like $65,000 or so, which surprises me even to this day. Not sure if people didn't buy the tie-in to the first game, or if it just wasn't that interesting, but I thought it would go higher.

So .. my ability to guess at prices that are borderline hypo is, obviously, not very good.

Joann

Old 07-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Sean,

How often to do you get spanked for not listening to your parents? You have learned nothing from the advice we have given you, and continue to ask the same question.

Sit back and read this board you will get your answers by reading past threads.

Lee

Old 07-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Administrator

People didn't buy the tie-in. The provenance was less than convincing (and let's leave it at that).

Old 07-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator

In general, I beleive the most expensive baseball items are significant even Babe Ruth game used bats and uniforms. I beleive a significant Ruth game used item has already sold more than the PSA8 T206 Honus Wagner.

Interestingly, a Joe Jackson game used bat twice sold for less than the PSA8 Wagner. The bat had impecable documented provenance, as it was described in Jackson's signed will, with the bat being willed to his wife. Futher, there were published interviews with a retired Jackson in which he talks about, and I beleive is pictured with, the bat ... You can argue about this or that, but I would think owning Joe Jackson's Black Betsy would be the ultimate piece of baseball memorabilia that exists.

Another case of great provenance, was a Leland's Babe Ruth game bat. The bat was won in a contest way back by a kid, who as an eldery man was the consignor! Included were vintage newspaper articles describing the contest and naming the winner (the consignor). Best of all, the auction incuded the original letter from Babe Ruth to the kid congratulating him on a Babe Ruth game used bat.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George H. Counter

IMHO, this is the start (we haven't seen the worst yet) of a chatboard hijack by Sean.
He had two days or so to think about his next question...
After a ton of recommendations by some naive board regulars (please, don't take it the wrong way), his next post is again about billions and gazillions of dollars!

He is clearly not interested in learning about baseball cards, history or anything else.
He's just amazed at the money cards can bring sometimes.

I don't know if anyone here gave him the link to the Collectors Universe chatboard, but I think that's a better place for him and his absurd questions.

Do you think I would let my kids (which are pretty much like Sean's age) go and use (trash) a serious chatboard of any topic without proper counseling?

I'm sure Leon will do what he thinks is best for the board, so I'm not overly concerned right now...but...

Old 07-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Administrator

fine fine fine ill make a different thread that doenst concern about money there your happy why cant a 11 year old kid have some fun sometimes thats what akid is suppose to do i guess ill make a different ones

Old 07-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator

if im not clerarly interested in baseball cards why do you think i would want to know what the first baseball card ever or 1 baseball photo or favorite T206 Card or top 10 cards you want huh there only been 2 threads that has to do with money this one and most valuable set compare that too 4 threads that doesnt have to do with money

Old 07-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

How bout nobody respond. (starting now)

Old 07-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Administrator

sincee pretty much everybody hates me now and leon is yelling at me who wants me to leave

Old 07-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

you might find this forum a better fit for your questions & threads:

http://forums.collectors.com/categories.cfm?catid=11&zb=4457021>

Old 07-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Administrator

looks horrible

Old 07-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

I may be wrong but even an eleven year old can spell and use some punctuation marks. To me, almost every query that he has made is one made as if he were trying to use bad grammer on purpose. Possibly, he is a board member yanking our chains, or at worst, someone who stumbled onto this site and is having a laugh.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I do not see this board being "trashed" by the thoughts of Sean. If you do not care to participate in this thread, the one about EPDG cards or any other, then please don't. But to participate negatively and to suggest corporal punishment appears inappropriate to me.

To this point I have not participated in this thread because I find the premise of no value. But in this regard, IMHO, we may not be setting the behavioral example which we should.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Sean,

Nobody hates you. But you really need to read first and ask questions later. The more you can learn about the cards the better. I agree its fun to have a post every now and then about card prices etc. But I think this board tries to remain a bit more focused on legitimate topics most of the time (though we arent always successful).

Old 07-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Administrator

if i called leon and he said i was a 11 year old your pretty much saying you dont beleive in leon which is pretty bad since hes the forum owner

Old 07-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Administrator

I dont think anyone is questioning whether you are 11 or not. Everybody does it to some extent, but your posts are hard to read b/c you do not use punctuation or check your spelling etc. Slow down and read your posts before you hit submit. Pretend we are your English teacher.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Administrator

I believe in Leon.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Sean- I believe you are 11 but I also think you can write much more clearly and accurately than you do and since you are interacting with adults why don't you give it a try. I think you may spend too much time with those instant text messages or whatever they are called. Anyone on this board would be willing to answer your questions but I think you could come up with more interesting ones.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George H. Counter

"behavioral example"?
"corporal punishment"?

Come on man!

This is, plain and simple, a kid who doesn't want to stick by the rules.

I'm here to read and talk about baseball cards, not to set a moral example for an unknown and stranger kid that clearly doesn't want to take any advice.

His parents must give a sh_t about his internet activity by letting him overuse a serious and valuable internet research website.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Sigh. I swore I wouldn't, but here goes.

Sean,

From your post today I really understand what you are doing. Leon told you to wait until Friday and you did. Then in your first post in this thread you said you are just trying to have fun, and that we should want to have fun too.

I get it. You are right - you are just trying to have fun. But as someone pointed out earlier, this is an adult area. We don't have fun in the same way you do, and don't find it fun to play "Hey how about a billion-trillion-zillion dollar card for this guy???".

There is nothing wrong with you finding that fun, and at 11 years old I probably would have too. But we aren't kids here and we can't, or don't want to, have fun that way.

You are doing something like running around a room bothering the adults every two seconds to go outside and play tag or marbles (or whatever) with you. Maybe once in awhile someone will go for a minute and maybe even have fun.

But when you don't stop, and keep pestering adults to try to do something with you that you find fun but they don't, they will eventually tell you to leave the room.

It's not that you can't have fun, it's just that you have picked the wrong place to try to have it, and the wrong people.

Is there such a thing as a baseball card forum more for kids your age? You want to have fun? Go to a chatboard where they are talking about $50 Barry Bonds cards and tell them what a PSA 4 Old Judge goes for.

Joann

Old 07-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...I do not question your age. But I do strongly question the quality of your education.

Sean, this is the best advice you have ever received: turn off your computer, open up a book and don't stop reading until you take your PSATs in about two years. Unless you are already independently wealthy, reading books -- starting right now -- is one of the best avenues you could take to being able to regularly purchase vintage baseball cards one day.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Good advice from all and maybe Sean is just a little nervous. He seems to be typing faster than his brain can organize his thoughts. Do kids read books anymore? Maybe Harry Potter. Sean- why don't you take a typing break and read some of the more interesting threads on this board. There is a lifetime of information here if you take the time to read it.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Martin Neal

I hope you are eleven and enjoy a lifetime of collecting vintage cards. If you are eleven, I also applaud your tenacity (the ability to hang in there when the going gets tough), and your propensity (your natural desire to do something) to acquire knowledge. Take a moment and look at all the advice offered here and try to enjoy this forum. I watched (lurked) this forum for quite a while before I offered anything of my own to it.

Hmmm... Leon... ahhhh.... I believe in you.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

How bout nobody respond. (starting now)

Old 07-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Sean,

I began collecting vintage around the age of ten (1980). I remember not being taken too seriously when I asked some of the big boys questions about their cards at shows. It frustrated me because I really wanted to learn. I was not afforded the opportunities that you have available to educate yourself via the internet and other publications that exist today. So if you are truly sincere about your interest in vintage materials, spend time reading our posts and go to oldcardboard.com which has a tremendous amount of information regarding the various sets, when they were released, and least importantly the value of the cards. Also, go to the library and check out books on Ty Cobb, John McGraw, Hal Chase, and old baseball in general to gain knowledge about the history of the game and the players. And please take the time to craft your posts in a concise and grammatically correct manner. No one will ever take you seriously on this board or anywhere else in the adult world using that lazy style of prose that has become all too common in the era of text-messaging.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Sean,

One more suggestion. Ask you Dad to read some of these posts and give you his opinion. Better yet, ask your Dad to start collecting vintage cards with you. I know that there are other collectors on this board, both young and old, who found that collecting with their Dads or sons have provided them with great memories and tons of quality time doing something together.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

It's a variation of the proverbial father and son catch. Good advice, Josh. See Sean, aren't we adults ever so smart?

Old 07-01-2006, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am just watching.... Sean is 11 and does need to brush up on the way he writes. My 9 yr old daughter, who is very smart I might add, can write far more grammatically correct than what is being shown here. My guess is everything folks have said is probably true. I will not let this become worse than it is....

Sean - you really should check out some of the other "new card" chat boards. They are more in line with your style. IF you want to stick around here you need to behave. We are a bunch of adults (although sometimes we act a little childish, myself included) so you need to be on your best behavior and listen to these good folks....really listen....

Old 07-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Sean: I have a question which has been troubling me. Perhaps you bring the fresh perspective which I am lacking. I would like for you to tell me your thoughts about the following.

Baseball cards come in various materials, shapes and sizes. Sometimes they vary so much that I am not sure that they are all cards.

For example: Wheaties "cards" sometimes are a baseball player's picture on the entire back of a full size cereal box. Is that too big to be a baseball card? Another example is Mello-Mints cards are baseball players on real flimsy paper. These are not rigid - can they be considered cards? Other "cards" were really postcards with a player on the back. Can postcards be considered as baseball cards? There is more, but lets start with these.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

Sean:

You should be spending your time learning to PLAY the game. Collecting is fun but a very sedentary activity...bug your Dad to hit you grounders or throw a little BP. I've enjoyed my time collecting but nothing like playing. At 43 years of age, I still have my son hit me grounders (only after we work on everything he needs to work on).

Old 07-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

I think Joann sums it up perfectly. I need add nothing further. Well ok, I will anyway. I think Sean is a few years away from contributing here. Joe

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

Nothing like beating a dead horse, eh E?

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 07-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Please put your name down so we know who you are....as per the board rules. No problem stating your oninion, as you have, but you must put your name beside it......thanks (if you don't I will have to delete your remarks, nothing personal)...

Old 07-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: H Murphy

The Boston Red Sox, 2004 World Series Champions. PRICELESS!!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

sean needs to read more...

Sean, you need to take about a month to sit back think of all your questions, then do a search for past posted threads and find your info...whatever you cant find, then bring it to the board if its old baseball card related...occassionally, someone will re-post the same thread without looking back, but that may be due to some new info that was found, heard, read, did, etc...and if not, it may be just a topic that so many of us like to discuss, we just dont want to read through 226+ responses...

Old 07-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: K. Brooks

I'm betting that "edacra" is Mr. Gil Maines
Same racial issues as well as same IP Addresses...

Next time you need to use some kind of masking software my friend.

Old 07-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Administrator

For the record edacra and Gil don't have the same ip address, at least not on Net54....and in a while I will delete several posts because when you erase one then the others look unfounded....this is getting tiresome the last few days.....maybe I should just delete posts when they don't adhere to the rules, without warning? Now about highest price? I don't know.... 1 trillion....

Old 07-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Administrator

K. Brooks: I think that you offered a good guess, all things considered. I have no idea about your mix up on IP addresses though, but I (guess I) could have used different computers. However, your guess is wrong. edacra is a different individual. Heck, he could be Ed Acra.

Edited to add:

I do not view myself as having any ethnicity issues. Not because I like everyone equally; I don't. Solely because I do not indict an entire group due to the behavior of a few.