NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Default Ruth Glass Negative

Posted By: David R

I just picked up this glass negative of Babe Ruth (at least I think it's a negative; it's glass). I also have one of Clark Griffith and Walter Johnson together. I don't know anything about these. Anyone know how rare or valuable these are? Do people display these, print pictures from them?

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

If it's glass it's a vintage negative, as they discontinued using glass for negatives a long time ago (switched to thin plastic film). A glass negative of Ruth is rare.

People make prints from glass negatives for display. You might be able to find a photo shop or such to make one. You could also scan it yourself, reverse the image on your computer and make your own print.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: keyway

Glass negatives are very collectable, and some bring good money. I recently sold three on ebay of hall of famers from the 18 and early 1900's. Was very pleased.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingbaseballgolf33

I had a Jack Dempsey glass negative at one time and I remember it sold for around 300.00, but glass negative images are very collectable as stated above and do not come around too often

nice find

Jimmy

Old 02-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

of your negative........

Old 02-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Administrator

I know an average Joe who had photographic prints made from a 1880s 20"x20" glass negative. The only problem he had was finding a place that could handle a negative that big. I assume yours is much smaller, so you wouldn't have the same logistical problem.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David R

Tom,

Thanks. That's awesome. I will have to find a photo shop to make a real print for me or figure out how to do it on my computer. David, the glass is not that big so I don't think I'll have any logistical problems. Does anyone know whether it causes any damage to the negative to make prints from it at this point?

David R.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator

If you scan it, or have a friend scan it, most computer image programs allow you to make a digital negative jpg of the image-- one of the options In your case a negative of your negative scan would be the positive.

If you scan the negative 1,000 times it might lighten the image-- for the same reason that if put your Tom Seaver signed 8x10 or 1955 Topps Sandy Koufax in direct sunlight for a year it might fade. But if you make a few good scans or have someone else make photos from it, it should not cause damage. Negatives were designed to have photos made from them. Making prints will probably help preserve the negative in the long run, as you won't be required to take out the negative all the tie to look at or show off the image. If you have several copies, you don't even have to worry about exposing the print to sunlight-- if the framed print fades, simply replace it with one of the other copies.