NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2007, 04:06 AM
Administrator

Default Spending hundreds on a fake

Posted By: Dylan

Wow these bidders, if every one of them is not a shill, are really willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a card thats so rare that if it were real youd know it'd be going for tens of thousands. What do people think? That they can just hop on ebay and win the lotto buying baseball cards? Do people really follow through and pay on transactions like these? Its not the first and certainly not the last ive seen an obvious reprint sell for several hundreds on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TY-COBB-RED-TY-COBB-BACK_W0QQitemZ140071587250QQihZ004QQcategoryZ86840 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-13-2007, 04:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T E

I can't figure out how to report this obvious fraud. Should be reported asap.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

counterfeit_card had high bid on this, but was evicted from the auction.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

these bidders are showing up as 'bidder 1', 'bidder 2'

I used to enjoy seeing the 'counterfeit card' type ebay ids on auctions of fake cards.

eBay should shut the auction down. no returns, no paypal, no way to get your money back if it is a fake - and it is placed in a specific category. Seller doesn't know much about cards, but he put it in a specific category.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ErlandStevens

The seller says that he doesn't know much about cards, but his ID is bbcardsareme.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert {Bigb13}

Bidder number 2 is on a week or less so it looks like shilling to me. I think I will leave ebay alone for a while until they fix this BS. Rob

Old 01-13-2007, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Burke

and notice "bidder 2", at least during the past 30 days, has bid on this item 6 times and has bid only on this item. That lucky bidder will have one of the dozen or so of these cards in existence! I bet the seller has "Magie" somewhere in his inventory. We'll see that one next.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John H.

My "favorite" eBay scam is by a seller who has had umpteen sets of the 27 paper insert 1954 Topps cards from the first issue of Sports Illustrated slabbed. He cut the insert sheet into individual cards and sent them in to GAI, I believe it was. They came back with very high grades and he put the sets up for bid. This went on for many months and may still be going on. I used to see the listings when I was searching for Topps Ted Williams cards.

This is all well and good except I'm pretty sure that these "cards" are from the reprint of the first SI issue that was available at retail book stores a few years ago, in a package with an SI coffee table book. I think the package cost about 30 bucks and this guy was sometimes getting $250-$300 for the card sets. An ignorant buyer wouldn't even know they were made of paper since there is no way to tell when they have been graded and sealed. I have the reprint magazine and other than possibly the paper quality there is nothing to distinguish it from the original.

John

Old 01-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

So was this a bad attempt at a shill? He ended up winning. Was he trying to boost the price even more or decided he should just win it because he got spooked.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Burke

I actually contacted the seller and he professed ignorance about whether the card was real or fake. His response "I do not know - This card has everything a real one has". Well, I guess he's right. It has a front and a back with a picture of a baseball player. So, what's the difference?? Now that is one knowledgeable dealer.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett

I saw the same card on ebay last saturday or sunday. I looked the day after and it was ended early.... then a few days later its back on ebay. I thought that the back looked more realistic than the front. but a fake is a fake

Old 01-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Denny

Leon brought this up on another thread!

Re: A new concept....Vintage Baseball Card Forum Auctions? January 12 2007, 3:57 PM

bbcardsareme? So, Why doesn't he know much about cards? Whats the bb stand for, Big Balls!

Denny Walsh

Old 01-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i think it was shilled too! http://cgi.ebay.com/1933-Goudey-149-Babe-Ruth-Graded-5-5_W0QQitemZ320068913427QQihZ011QQcategoryZ31721QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prillaman

Got an email back from Ebay that appropriate action was taken on the Cobb auction.