NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Mark

Default 1890s Yale football

Hello,

I'm writing a book on Frank Hinkey and the 1890s Yale football teams. Let me know if anyone has interesting/unique memorabilia to share. Would be glad to purchase but will settle for scans.

I acquired a large collection of Frank Hinkey memorabilia from descendants of his wife. Here are scans of his personal 1895 Yale yearbook with bookplate and signature.

Front cover of yearbook.

Library ownership sticker on inside front cover

Signed first page in upper right corner

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by cfhofer; 10-02-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:34 PM
Mark

Default Yale Football Programs

Here are a few 1890s Yale football programs from my personal collection. I'll post a few more next week too.

1891 Yale-Harvard

1892 Yale-Crescent Athletic Club

1892 Yale-Harvard

1893 Yale-Harvard (rare version)

Cheers

Mark
Old 05-11-2015, 10:56 AM

LOVE the early football stuff and nobody is more passionate about it than Mark!
Old 05-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Mike Dugan

Mark- I wish I could contribute but sadly have nothing to offer. I will be a buyer of the book though, please keep us posted.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:29 PM
Scott S

I don't have anything specific to that era of Yale football to share, but I collect early Harvard football material, so I certainly appreciate the topic!

Hope you don't mind my sharing - this picture from my office wall includes an 1894 Harvard pennant (right in line with Hinkey's era), along with a 1903 panoramic of the new Harvard football stadium. The action shot is from a Harvard - Yale game in New Haven from 1908.

Good luck with the project!
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg office wall.jpg (69.5 KB, 1991 views)
File Type: jpg harvard yale 1908 game.jpg (72.0 KB, 1943 views)
Old 05-11-2015, 05:35 PM
Mark

Default Harvard guys

Scott,

Very cool display. Since you are a Harvard guy I am posting two 19th century Harvard autographs from my private collection.

William H Lewis - 1891-93 Harvard center, first African-American All-American and earliest college football HOFer. He became a prominent lawyer and was appointed to US Assistant Attorney General.

Charles D Daly - Harvard All-American QB from 1898-1900. Transferred to Army on request from Teddy Roosevelt, where he played from 1901-02. Considered the only 5x All-American football player and inaugural member of the college football HOF. I was blessed to purchase his personal estate from his grand-daughter, which is now in the West Point Archives. I kept a couple autographs and a beautiful handpainting by him.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:45 PM
Joe

Mark, I would also have interest in your book, good luck.

Scott - would love to see more of your items, looks like you have tickets and programs which would be great see close ups.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Mark

Default 1894 Yale

Here are a couple pieces I acquired from Harold Letton's grandson. Letton was a sub on the 1894 Yale football team.

1894 Yale football gold charm

1894 Yale Football dinner menu

Mark
Old 05-12-2015, 07:51 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post

Scott - would love to see more of your items, looks like you have tickets and programs which would be great see close ups.
Thanks for the comment - I will start a new thread shortly with some material, so as not to hijack / detract from Mark's great Yale materials!
Old 05-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Dan

Great thread - fun to see all these items (and that's true even though I'm a Princeton fan!

Here are a few ticket stubs in my collection. Top two are Princeton-Yale, and the bottom one is from the 1894 "Hampden Park Bloodbath":

Old 05-16-2015, 05:35 PM
Mark

Default Greenway photos

Very cool ticket stubs. Thanks for sharing bluespruce.

Here are a few items from the John Greenway estate. Greenway played right end for Yale from 1892-94. He went on to have a very distinguished military career as one of Teddy Roosevelt's 'Rough Riders' in the Spanish-American War.

Greenway and Hinkey (1894)

Armstrong, Hickok and Greenway (1894)

1892 Freshman Yale football team

Mark

Last edited by cfhofer; 10-02-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Joe Hunter

Default Havard Yale Football

I believe this c1910 pillow cover is a depiction of a 19th Century game between Harvard and Yale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5422.jpg (68.3 KB, 959 views)
Old 05-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Mark

Default Yale Programs

Here are a few more 1890s Yale football programs.

1893 Yale-Harvard (more common version)

1894 Yale-Princeton hardcover

1894 Yale-Princeton program+ticket (rare version of program)

Mark
Old 05-22-2015, 09:45 AM
M@tt Schw@de

I'd love to know if a 1909 Yale National Championship team=signed piece is out there.

Thanks for starting this thread Mark!

Matt
Old 05-23-2015, 05:54 AM
Mark

Default Yale pendant

Here is an 1894 Yale football pendant.

Mark
Old 05-28-2015, 07:17 PM
Mark

Default Hinkey letter

I need to keep the Hinkey items 'close to the vest' for my book, however this piece won't be included. Posted is an 1894 handwritten letter from Frank Hinkey to John Greenway, inviting him on a group date along with Walter Camp and his wife.

Hinkey letter

Mark

Last edited by cfhofer; 10-02-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:26 PM

Not ours, of course (photo cribbed long ago from one of the big auction sites),
and not sure it's of any use for your project, but The Yale-Princeton Foot Ball Game
debuted in the McLoughlin Bros catalogue in 1895 and was a staple of their line for 25 years,
until the company was bought up by Milton Bradley:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 05-28-2015, 10:49 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

awesome.. best of luck!
Old 05-29-2015, 03:45 AM

Mark,
Congrats on your impressive early Yale football collection.
That really is eye candy!
Old 05-29-2015, 05:15 AM
Mark

Thanks guys. The artwork on the 'Yale-Princeton' board game is fantastic. Doesn't look like a game my 7 year old son would want to play though, unless they come out with an updated Ipad version.

Cheers

Mark
Old 08-07-2015, 07:42 AM
Mark

Just picked up this 1892 Yale football team photo. These Pach Bros team photos are my favorite.

Last edited by cfhofer; 08-07-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Badger Auto....

Here is a Walter Badger original autograph. I own it. If interested, please let me know.

$_57.jpg

From the internet:

"To handle the newly defined chores of the quarterback position, Walter Camp selected his old roommate, Walter I. Badger, ’82. Badger and Camp worked on a variety of ways to set up scoring opportunities; primarily involving passes and hand-offs, enabling the halfbacks and fullbacks to try for goals from the field or the less desirable touchdowns, which only resulted in “tries-for-goal” from a location chosen by the kicker."
Old 11-02-2015, 04:25 PM
Mark

1891 Yale football photograph

Old 11-02-2015, 06:47 PM
qualitycards

Just noticed this thread, what a treat
Such awesome memorabilia, thanks for posting 'em
Old 11-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Mark

The 1891 Yale team featured 3x All-American William "Pudge" Walter Heffelfinger at guard (back row, far right in photo above). In 1892 he became the first recognized professional football player for the Allegheny Athletic Association. Below is a handwritten signed letter.

Last edited by cfhofer; 11-04-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:40 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

That is an awesome letter. Pudge was from my area (Minneapolis), but you rarely see any items like this even here. Beautiful item and thanks for posting. Jason
Old 11-05-2015, 03:23 PM

This is a little earlier than what you were looking for but I'll throw it on here anyway. It's a student writing about the Yale football team in 1886 with comments on several players including Harry Beecher.

Rob M.

"...Our room faces the New Haven Green, which puts me in mind of the Boston Common every time I look at it. There are thirteen Exeter men here, including Wurtenburgh, Sykes Lyman...Wurtie is doing fine work on the team. He is sub. half & quarter back. He does not want to do much football playing this year and so has not worked to get on the team. Ben is a half back but is too slow altogether. He is punting pretty well. He broke his nose in one of the practice games but it is well now. You ought to see how they play football here. The go in to win. There is three times as much slugging in a practice game as there is in the Exeter or Andover game. Hanson played one evening and Pike who was playing opposite him told him to get onside. Hanson did not stir and Pike drew off and hit him right in the eye, then Hanson as soon as he recovered himself hit Pike a dandy on the nose and they had a regular fight until the Captain yelled to them to stop. Hanson had a terrible eye and Pike a skinned nose. You ought to see Beecher play. He is something like Harding, one minute he is in the midst of a crowd and the next he has the ball and running for the goal. He has not layed up at all. He had a sore leg but plays just the same. Wurtie could get halfback if he wanted it but says he wants to study this year and then play football next year. I am afraid Ben will not stay here long. He flunks in great style. Himball played first base on the Freshman base ball team at Princeton in the Freshman-Sophomore game..."

Beecher Football pg1&4.jpg

Beecher Football pg2&3.jpg
Old 11-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Mark

Rob - That letter is a historic piece! Wurtenburg, Hanson and Pike were freshman in 1886. Wurtenburg actually played on the varsity squad from 1886-89. Beecher was elected captain the following season in 1887. Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
This is a little earlier than what you were looking for but I'll throw it on here anyway. It's a student writing about the Yale football team in 1886 with comments on several players including Harry Beecher.

Rob M.

"...Our room faces the New Haven Green, which puts me in mind of the Boston Common every time I look at it. There are thirteen Exeter men here, including Wurtenburgh, Sykes Lyman...Wurtie is doing fine work on the team. He is sub. half & quarter back. He does not want to do much football playing this year and so has not worked to get on the team. Ben is a half back but is too slow altogether. He is punting pretty well. He broke his nose in one of the practice games but it is well now. You ought to see how they play football here. The go in to win. There is three times as much slugging in a practice game as there is in the Exeter or Andover game. Hanson played one evening and Pike who was playing opposite him told him to get onside. Hanson did not stir and Pike drew off and hit him right in the eye, then Hanson as soon as he recovered himself hit Pike a dandy on the nose and they had a regular fight until the Captain yelled to them to stop. Hanson had a terrible eye and Pike a skinned nose. You ought to see Beecher play. He is something like Harding, one minute he is in the midst of a crowd and the next he has the ball and running for the goal. He has not layed up at all. He had a sore leg but plays just the same. Wurtie could get halfback if he wanted it but says he wants to study this year and then play football next year. I am afraid Ben will not stay here long. He flunks in great style. Himball played first base on the Freshman base ball team at Princeton in the Freshman-Sophomore game..."

Attachment 210818

Attachment 210819
WOW!!!!...let me know if you ever get tired of that!!

Old 12-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Mark

While technically this piece is post-1890s, I thought it was cool enough to share. This is a 13" x 9" signed photograph of Edward Harris "Ted" Coy. Coy was a 3x All-American fullback for Yale from 1907-09. As a senior in 1909, Coy led Yale to an undefeated 10–0 record, outscoring opponents 209–0. He coached the Bulldogs the following year and was an inaugural member of the College Football Hall of Fame in 1951. Coy passed away in 1935 at age 47, making his signature extremely tough.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:28 PM

Default Yale Murphy cabinet cards

Here are two different Yale Murphy cabinet cards. The Pach Brothers is when he was a student and the Newsboy is when he was a Major Leaguer.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MURPHY.JPG (63.0 KB, 719 views)
Old 05-03-2017, 02:55 PM
Mark

Default Frank Hinkey website

Hey guys,

While deployed to Afghanistan this past year I developed a website dedicated to Frank Hinkey and the 1890s Yale football teams. Along with an in-depth biography there is unique memorabilia and photographs, many originating from the Hinkey estate. We'll continue to update the site throughout the year. Please take a look and give me your honest feedback, either public or private.

The website is: www.frankhinkey.com

Cheers.

Mark
Old 05-03-2017, 04:48 PM
$cotty @.utin

Spent a year of my life in beautiful Afghanistan. Heading to Iraq to do my second tour there in a few months. Thanks for your service and the website looks great!

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 05-03-2017, 05:39 PM
Joe

Nice website Mark. Wonderful content, enjoyed reviewing it. Great manner in which you have honored these relics and their history.

..and Scotty and Mark, thank you both for your Service!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:51 PM
Mark

Thanks guys. I'll continue to refine it over the year now that I'm back home.

Scotty: Thank you for your service too! What part of Afghanistan? I was in Kandahar at the Role 3 Multinational Medical Unit.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Dan

Hi Mark - Really nicely-done website! Looks great, with fascinating and well-written content. Already an excellent resource that's easy to browse and read. I'll look forward to seeing it continue to grow!
~Dan
Old 05-04-2017, 09:19 AM
$cotty @.utin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfhofer View Post
Thanks guys. I'll continue to refine it over the year now that I'm back home.

Scotty: Thank you for your service too! What part of Afghanistan? I was in Kandahar at the Role 3 Multinational Medical Unit.
Was in Kandahar and Helmand for all of 2009. Went there to do Engineer/Logistics planning for the surge in RC-South and RC-West. Arrived and Helmand (Leatherneck) was 200 people...left and it was 21,000.

Last edited by smotan_02; 05-04-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Mark

Scotty,

We have drawn down quite a bit in both those places. Who knows what the future holds though. Best of luck on your future tour to Iraq.

I've posted the below photo for you. My wife doesn't allow me to display many sports pieces in our home. However this proudly sits on my office desk. It is an original signed painting by a legendary Army Football coach. Any guess who? Being a West Point grad I thought you may appreciate it.

Last edited by cfhofer; 05-05-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:37 PM

Good to see you back home safe and sound Mark!

Rhys
Old 05-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Mark

Thanks Rhys. Feels great to be back.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:00 PM
$cotty @.utin

Quote:
Scotty,

We have drawn down quite a bit in both those places. Who knows what the future holds though. Best of luck on your future tour to Iraq.

I've posted the below photo for you. My wife doesn't allow me to display many sports pieces in our home. However this proudly sits on my office desk. It is an original signed painting by a legendary Army Football coach. Any guess who? Being a West Point grad I thought you may appreciate it.

Wow...you got me. My first thought was COL Red Blaik in his later days, but the signature doesn't match. Maybe Charles Daly, Lombardi, or Herman Hickman? Someone less famous? No idea....that's good trivia though.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Mark

It is by Charles Daly. After he retired he began painting landscapes. A few football coaches from this era have paintings available. I've seen Pop Warner and Robert Zuppke paintings pop up occasionally.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:18 PM
$cotty @.utin

Quote:
It is by Charles Daly. After he retired he began painting landscapes. A few football coaches from this era have paintings available. I've seen Pop Warner and Robert Zuppke paintings pop up occasionally.
Nice! That signature is quite difficult to find. So, in a round about way, you have that one.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Mark

I don't understand why his signature is so tough. He lived a full life, was a mentor for many famous US Generals, wrote a football book, was actively involved in West Point and Harvard athletics. Yet I know of only two signatures in the hobby. I got a feeling most just don't know who he is, so the sigs stay buried.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:57 AM
Mark

Here’s a fantastic 13” x 11” original photograph of the championship 1894 Yale football team. Captained by 4x All-American Frank Hinkey, this team went 16-0 and outscored their opponents 485 to 13. For those interested in Frank Hinkey, please check out my museum website at www.frankhinkey.com.