NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-07-2023, 11:31 AM

Default PSA Re-Submission Advice Requested

Hi. I have a few cards that were returned graded lower than expected. I know it happens to all of us. I plan on re-submitting a few of them. My question: From your experience, is it better to crack the slabs open and submit raw? ...or is it better to leave them slabbed and resubmit as-is. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:36 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
Hi. I have a few cards that were returned graded lower than expected. I know it happens to all of us. I plan on re-submitting a few of them. My question: From your experience, is it better to crack the slabs open and submit raw? ...or is it better to leave them slabbed and resubmit as-is. Any input would be appreciated.
Crack them out. The last time I didn't it took 3 submissions and they still never got the card labeled correctly and charged me each time for getting it wrong.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:37 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

My sense is that you’re better off cracking and resubmitting. Probably the only exception is if the item is crazy valuable and might receive a lower grade, or if it might be damaged during the process.

The general idea is that if you just send it back in the case, they’re unlikely to really seriously consider it. “Yep - we were right when we looked at it last year. Thanks for paying us to look at it again!” This seems like their likely response if you don’t crack it out.

If you do crack it out, then in theory they’ve got to start from scratch and really consider the grade that it should receive. There are varying opinions about just how much time and effort they put into that process. But at least it forces them to actually work through the entire process without the preconceptions that come from an item that is already graded.

The only time that I’ve not cracked out an item was when I was crossing it over from SGC. It went from a SGC 6 to a PSA 5, but if PSA had some serious concerns about the item, I didn’t want to take the risk of cracking it out first, both because it was so rare, and because I was paranoid that they might struggle to identify or authenticate it without the SGC slab.

And a card, the one that I submitted without cracking it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7247.jpg (195.9 KB, 193 views)

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 06-09-2023, 01:07 AM
Rolf Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post

I’m kind of new, so I apologize if my response lacks the experience of more seasoned collectors, but your request has sparked some curiosity and confusion on my part. It seems like you have doubts about the grading process and the integrity of the grading company, yet you're considering investing more time, money, and taking on additional risks to resubmit the cards. This raises the question of what the purpose of submitting cards for grading is if you don't have trust in the initial grade or the service.

While grading is subjective to some extent, and it's understandable that there can be discrepancies in the assessments, it's crucial to remember that grading aims to provide a standardized measure of a card's condition and establish a common language for collectors and investors. However, if you feel that the grading company you used is unreliable or didn't meet your expectations, perhaps exploring other grading companies with a more reputable track record could be an alternative worth considering. It might offer you a greater sense of confidence in the grading process?

It’s up to you if you’re willing to trust any tpg, but if you’re going to grade, it should be logical to put your time and money into something you can more or less trust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2023, 12:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieMaus View Post
I’m kind of new, so I apologize if my response lacks the experience of more seasoned collectors, but your request has sparked some curiosity and confusion on my part. It seems like you have doubts about the grading process and the integrity of the grading company, yet you're considering investing more time, money, and taking on additional risks to resubmit the cards. This raises the question of what the purpose of submitting cards for grading is if you don't have trust in the initial grade or the service.

While grading is subjective to some extent, and it's understandable that there can be discrepancies in the assessments, it's crucial to remember that grading aims to provide a standardized measure of a card's condition and establish a common language for collectors and investors. However, if you feel that the grading company you used is unreliable or didn't meet your expectations, perhaps exploring other grading companies with a more reputable track record could be an alternative worth considering. It might offer you a greater sense of confidence in the grading process?

It’s up to you if you’re willing to trust any tpg, but if you’re going to grade, it should be logical to put your time and money into something you can more or less trust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For many of us this is the riddle of grading.
We sometimes disagree on the grade, but generally trust the grading company.
Sort of...
We trust them to get the cards back to us graded hopefully mostly right.
But not necessarily to review a grade we don't agree with since it's easy to just glance at it and say "yep, still a 5" pack it back up and return it.

I may change some habits, but I'm not someone who flips cards.
But if you do, some hobby cash can be made buying nice cards and grading them. But if the grade is too low, the added price for the grade may not even cover the grading fees. and the difference between a 7 and an 8 could be where that happens. The jump between 8 and 9 is often a big one, and a 10 can be amazing. It's a tough game.

I did have a couple I wondered about with SGC, T206s that looked much better than the grade they got. I asked when they were doing on sie grading, and they did a quick and free review.
On one, it had a small erasure on the back that I had never spotted in 30+ years. The other had a very slight wrinkle in the border about halfway up the left side plus a couple other really minor things that added together made it a couple grades lower than I had thought.
So as it turned out, they weren't wrong.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:09 PM
David M.

If it's going from an SGC slab to PSA for grading I would definitely crack it out before submitting it. I feel it helps to keep PSA from being biased about what the grade should be.
I am curious though about resubmitting a card to PSA. I thought they claimed they scanned each card and could now tell if a card had already been submitted even if cracked out, through the use of some advanced software. Is that true or just urban legend?
Old 06-09-2023, 02:23 PM
Dave Foster

Unless you are foolish, or stinking rich, save your money. This gambit is simply a money-maker for PSA. Be satisfied with the grades you got. If not, buy a replacement in the grade you seek. Less costly! My neg. exp: several years ago, I had an Aaron RC in PSA 5. I thot it was nicer. So I cracked and re-subbed. To my horror, it came back as "Authentic - trimmed." This was the last time I got sucked into their little game.
Old 06-09-2023, 03:46 PM

Default Whole New Thread Here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Unless you are foolish, or stinking rich, save your money. This gambit is simply a money-maker for PSA. Be satisfied with the grades you got. If not, buy a replacement in the grade you seek. Less costly! My neg. exp: several years ago, I had an Aaron RC in PSA 5. I thought it was nicer. So I cracked and re-subbed. To my horror, it came back as "Authentic - trimmed." This was the last time I got sucked into their little game.

.. Can you please finish this saga ?? Inquiring minds want to know " okay then what " .. For my part I once cracked and re-submitted twice a one-owner 1957 Topps Ernie Banks until it finally came back as a PSA 8 , which it truly was. Thanks

Old 06-10-2023, 01:09 PM
Dave Foster

Default Follow up . . .

I sold it to an N54 member looking for a clean Aaron RC for him to sign. This was after I got it back from PSA in a CS1 marked, "Authentic." Hope he was successful, since HA has stopped doing any more signings. LOL!
Old 06-10-2023, 11:54 PM
Mike

Def. crack and re sub.

Some graders are easier on cards than others.

I've resubbed some '58 topps after cracking them, and one even went from a 5 to an 8...several others got one grade higher.
Old 06-11-2023, 12:00 PM
Dave Foster

This isn't like judge shopping, where you have an idea what the jurist will decide based on past decisions and cautiously proceed from there. TPG'ers are like the Great Oz, hidden behind the curtain. You have no idea who they are and who will be evaling your card(s.) Re-subbing is literally blindly stabbing at a pig in a poke and hoping for a more favorable grade. As I stated above, it is a practice for the foolish or stinking rich.