NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Default ONE more E R

jsa authenticated. What is your opinion?

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=25467
Old 04-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Belltown Vintage

The Babe must have had a straight-edge with him that day.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:28 PM

Default JimStinson

Actor Gary Cooper and his wife had one child Maria Cooper who is now a famous painter... , Certainly this photo would have been one of her most PRIZED rememberences of her father. She married classical pianist Byron Janis...they both are alive and well in NYC call and ask them am certain they would be able to give anyone interested in the photo a detailed background of its history and origin.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:59 PM

Your wealth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for contributing to the board Jim.

Last edited by Tuna82; 04-14-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:19 PM

Default JimStinson

Hemingway called Gary Cooper "Coop" they often hunted and fished together in Sun valley, as a member of the "Hemingway Society" I consider the following extremely touching.......

Cooper converted to Catholicism in 1958, reconciling with his wife and daughter. As he told Hemingway, “You know, that decision I made was the right one.” But in 1960, Cooper fell ill with prostate cancer, which quickly spread to his colon, lungs, and bones. Yet he managed to keep his illness from the press — at least until Jimmy Stewart had to accept an honorary Academy Award in his stead in April 1961. “We’re very proud of you, Coop,” Stewart said, “all of us.” And then broke down. Hemingway, watching the broadcast, had to turn away.

Hemingway would later call Cooper from the Mayo Clinic, where he himself was receiving treatment for all matter of ailments. The chatted the way older men who hate the phone do, a mix of awkwardness and guffaws. They made plans to go to Africa. But as the phone conversation came to a close, Cooper became serious. “Papa,” he said, “I bet I beat you to the barn.” A month later, Cooper was dead.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:54 PM

This photo was addressed back in 2011 on the Hauls of Shame web site. http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=6635
Mike
Old 04-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Jim, love the story. Whats you opinion?

Last edited by shelly; 04-14-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:24 PM

Default JimStinson

Shelly....my opinion is always the same, Trust but Verify

Trust, but verify is a form of advice given which recommends that while a source of information might be considered reliable, one should perform additional research to verify that such information is accurate, or trustworthy. The term was a signature phrase adopted and made famous by U.S. president Ronald Reagan. Reagan frequently used it when discussing U.S. relations with the Soviet Union. The phrase was originated by Russian leader Vladimir Lenin....The phrase was learned by Reagan from Suzanne Massie, a writer on Russia. She told Reagan, "The Russians like to talk in proverbs. It would be nice of you to know a few. You are an actor – you can learn them very quickly". The original Russian proverb is a short rhyme which states, Доверяй, но проверяй (doveryai, no proveryai).
After Reagan used the phrase at the signing of the INF Treaty, his counterpart Mikhail Gorbachev responded: "You repeat that at every meeting," to which Reagan answered "I like it

Old 04-14-2013, 04:37 PM
qu@n nguy3n

the ante keeps upping. used to be 1 tpa was enough, nowadays items with psa/dna AND jsa are still questioned...so what good are they? do you need a summit meeting amongst all the dealers & authenticators now just to sell a piece?

when i'm ready to buy a ruth, by the time i get through all the tpas and opinions i need to feel comfortable that cost will be greater than the ruth itself.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

If anyone wants to buy something...get it authenticated here.....seems to be the best place of all.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Well, if Ron Keurajian thinks it's a fake, who am I to argue. The two things that struck me was the straight line the autograph was signed on and of course the fact that a photo to Gary Cooper would have made some kind of news if the family had put it up for sale.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Thanks Jim.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:34 PM

An undeniably genuine Ruth, written on a straight line.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:39 PM

And another.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

I would not be surprised if the Babe took a little more time signing for Gary Cooper(thus more uniform). It is not like he was signing for a random fan in a pile of mail.

As Jim states.. one should be able to confirm with the family. Perhaps it already was and deemed authentic.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 04-14-2013, 06:49 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Keep this up and the consigner may just pop up here to defend his item...
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Who cares who the consigner is. It was sold before at a Mastro auction and authenticated by Spence in 2007 for that auction. So the person who bought it believed that it was authentic at the time.
Now that I see Ron thinks it is not authentic. Who do you believe Spence or Ron? Straight line upside down or backwards.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:32 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Who cares who the consigner is. It was sold before at a Mastro auction and authenticated by Spence in 2007 for that auction. So the person who bought it believed that it was authentic at the time.
Now that I see Ron thinks it is not authentic. Who do you believe Spence or Ron? Straight line upside down or backwards.
Shelly,

I think you missed my joke.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 04-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Sorry

Last edited by shelly; 04-14-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Banned

let's see what psa says about a ruth autograph

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ous-autographs

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/12/prweb10276372.htm

don't these two look the same to you? they do to me. so psa says one thing, jsa another, who can you trust, can someone be the tiebreaker? are these two photos by the same man, ruth or otherwise? again, i am a boxing guy, so please enlighten me.

Babe Ruth signatures were among the most commonly forged sports autographs in 2012, according to PSA/DNA Authentication Services. This is an example of a fake Ruth signature in the opinion of PSA/DNA. (Photo credit: PSA/DNA Authentication Services.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fake Babe Ruth autograph.jpg (68.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg ruthee.jpg (37.8 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by travrosty; 04-14-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Travis did not read the whole thread. Spence is the only authenticator of this piece. He did it for Psa and then Jsa. There are two opinions one from Spence and one from Ron. I know your thoughts on the tpa's.What is your opinion on Ron?

Last edited by shelly; 04-14-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Travis did not read the whole thread. Spence is the only authenticator of this piece. He did it for Psa and then Jsa. There are two opinions one from Spence and one from Ron. I know your thoughts on the tpa's.What is your opinion on Ron?

well, wait a minute, here is grad signing off on the same type of piece, so we have three opinions, add grad to the group who thinks its good.

then add psa to the group that thinks it bad according to their recent 10 most dangerous autographs.

A new era begins is right! babe really liked that exact slant on his autograph didnt he?

I am glad people value my opinion, but i do boxing, but i point out the different photos and authentications. i am waiting for mr. babe ruth expert to come back.

for the record, i like ron and believe he is a better judge of vintage baseball autographs than mr west coast and mr east coast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruthpsa.jpg (74.2 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by travrosty; 04-14-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Steve Grad who is he? Wait didn't he take Drew Max place.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Banned

i believe he did, so what about it? not withstanding mr. max, what is grads track record on ruth, spence's too?

Last edited by travrosty; 04-14-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

No idea. Back to the original question. Ron or Spence? Who would you trust more. In less than a page.

Last edited by shelly; 04-14-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Banned

i already answered it, look up two posts of mine. why don't you just get to the setup portion of this thread, where you try to trap somebody and then spring something on them. i am sure you started this thread just for me? can you do a boxing one?

the point? It makes it so much more interesting for the listener!

1:40 mark of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG81ptfPz7I

Last edited by travrosty; 04-14-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Well, if Ron Keurajian thinks it's a fake, who am I to argue. The two things that struck me was the straight line the autograph was signed on and of course the fact that a photo to Gary Cooper would have made some kind of news if the family had put it up for sale.
I guess the perfectly straight lines mean that it's just an extra-special Ruth-signed item. We've had a few Ruth-signed items like that lately - if it looks perfect, even if 'perfect' isn't a signer's m.o., then it's special and therefore worth even more.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Banned

these threads get so convuluted. you need a phd to figure them out. what is your point? either the auto is good or bad, spence screwed up or he didn't. why start a thread and then dont finish it or say anything. same as williams. just start a random thread, ask people their opinions like you dont know, even though you do know , and to what end? gosh, these get old.

Last edited by travrosty; 04-14-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

This thread was started because of that autograph. Not because of you Travis. You came in and posted I then asked you the same question I did everyone else.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
This thread was started because of that autograph. Not because of you Travis. You came in and posted I then asked you the same question I did everyone else.
but you already know what i think. i posted about this type of autograph before.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=147473

i am on record.

Last edited by travrosty; 04-14-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I have no idea when you posted that. You have said so many things about tpa;s that I dont read them. I am happy that I know what you think of that autograph. Thanks for the answer.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Banned

now we need chris to grace us with his presence and let us know what he thinks about his buddies spence and grad. i am sure he will set me straight.

now will you spring the trap, shelly? or is there no point to this?

Last edited by travrosty; 04-14-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:49 AM
Scott

I clicked the original blog that this photo was a part of and at least two Ruths on there are HORRIBLE.

Makes me so glad I can't afford to be up in this high rent district of autographs. This is really getting ridiculous.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
I clicked the original blog that this photo was a part of and at least two Ruths on there are HORRIBLE.

Makes me so glad I can't afford to be up in this high rent district of autographs. This is really getting ridiculous.
Which two do you think are horrible?

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection