NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Default Roger Connor check

I am curious how something like this gets discovered "deep in the Giants archives" 125 years later. Can anyone just go into the "Giants archive" and pick things out for themselves? Not saying it is fake by any means, but just curious how things like this get discovered after that long of time.

http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...lotIdNo=121002
Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 AM

My guess would be it was found in paperwork belonging to someone who used to work for the team. I don't see a reason why the SF Giants would sell items from their archives for profit.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default . . . or belonged to a collector or dealer . . .

. . . who obtained it among old papers disposed of by the organization (whenever that might have occurred).

I seem to recall that something like that occurred involving the Detroit Tigers. Supposedly, several old filing cabinets were either disposed of, or auctioned off complete with contents. If I recall correctly, the filing cabinets and papers had sat for decades in a storage space in Tiger Stadium. Not sure when these artifacts became available. Supposedly, among the contents were team copies of signed contracts, scouting & ballplayer correspondence, expense reports, etc. going back to the early 1900's, during the first or second decade of the team's American League existence. Of interest to me were some of the obscure ballplayer names mentioned, among the signed contracts. The one name I recall most vividly is that of Win Mercer. There were at least two other names mentioned that also peaked my interest, but damn if I can remember them. I never heard whether Ty Cobb's first contract was present among those relics or not. It does make me wonder if such treasure troves still exist within some of the long-time, major sports organizations. People come, people go. So who continues to track what is stored where, within such businesses?
Old 01-20-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

. . . who obtained it among old papers disposed of by the organization (whenever that might have occurred).

I seem to recall that something like that occurred involving the Detroit Tigers. Supposedly, several old filing cabinets were either disposed of, or auctioned off complete with contents. If I recall correctly, the filing cabinets and papers had sat for decades in a storage space in Tiger Stadium. Not sure when these artifacts became available. Supposedly, among the contents were team copies of signed contracts, scouting & ballplayer correspondence, expense reports, etc. going back to the early 1900's, during the first or second decade of the team's American League existence. Of interest to me were some of the obscure ballplayer names mentioned, among the signed contracts. The one name I recall most vividly is that of Win Mercer. There were at least two other names mentioned that also peaked my interest, but damn if I can remember them. I never heard whether Ty Cobb's first contract was present among those relics or not. It does make me wonder if such treasure troves still exist within some of the long-time, major sports organizations. People come, people go. So who continues to track what is stored where, within such businesses?
This also happened with the Angels organization when Disney bought them in 1996.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Richard Simon

And with the Dodgers when a well known former player drove off with a ton of memorabilia, which was not being tossed away.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-20-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:10 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

The Giants have been selling game used items for longer than most other teams, and respected (and now deceased) baseball historian Dick Dobbins was director of their memorabilia department. Perhaps the Giants are more in tune with their history and artifacts than other teams. I once had an Ernie Lombardi autographed baseball card that Dobbins had signed in person at Lombardi's home while interviewing him for a PCL history book.

Last edited by drcy; 01-20-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
And with the Dodgers when a well known former player drove off with a ton of memorabilia, which was not being tossed away.

Care to share? I'd love to hear and read more about that .
Old 01-29-2014, 09:52 AM
Steve Birmingham

There was a bunch of Red Sox stuff available around the early 90's. Mostly internal paperwork from the 70's-80's that was supposed to be thrown out. The person told to get rid of it all basically just loaded the boxes into his car instead of the dumpster.

Nothing great that I saw, but I did get an equipment receipt signed by Yaz.

One of my few autographs, and one of the few times I bought the better item instead of a boxful of "junk" (I think it was $20, but I could have had maybe 4 commons for the same price.)

I ran into the same thing later, found a plate from the 400 club on Ebay. The seller had worked there when they changed the name and was allowed to take a bunch of the old china if he wanted it. I got a couple more from him, and he came to deliver them since he'd be in town anyway.

Steve B
Old 02-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Unfortunately, I guess someone figured out the answer to my question. I wouldn't touch this, even I could afford it.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=27426#more-27426

-I am not trying to this into commentary on haulsofshame, but he did have some pretty strong facts that is item was indeed stolen.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:30 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Interesting read. I can't imagine spending a quarter of a million dollars and not remembering when or to whom.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdmb View Post
Unfortunately, I guess someone figured out the answer to my question. I wouldn't touch this, even I could afford it.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=27426#more-27426

-I am not trying to this into commentary on haulsofshame, but he did have some pretty strong facts that is item was indeed stolen.
One of our board members (Sunny) has provided detail about his Connor autograph, over in the John Rogers thread in the main forum. You might want to go over there and ask questions/make comments. I gave the last page a peek this morning (joining the morbidly curious), despite my promise to stay out of it, and I have to admit it's quite an interesting read.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:13 PM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

Thanks, should make for a great read tonight. I didn't see how it exploded the last few weeks.