NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 08-05-2017, 01:50 PM

Default Hypothetical: when is a debut not a debut?

I was still thinking about Dustin Fowler and his Moonlight Graham moment earlier this year. Hypothetically, if you make your debut in a game that gets rained out in the third inning, and then sent down the next day never to reach the majors again, did you ever make your debut?
Old 08-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Nick Barnes

if they are going to replay the game entirely than no, you didn't because you would not have registered an official plate appearance.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
if they are going to replay the game entirely than no, you didn't because you would not have registered an official plate appearance.
Technically I suppose that's right, but I would still say under the hypothetical above that yes the guy played in the major leagues so it counts. By the way how is it treated if, say, a batter injures himself swinging at strike one and can't continue? Is he out (hard to believe), or does a new batter substitute, inheriting the count? If the latter (which has to be right) then the batter who swung at a pitch doesn't have an official plate appearance either. Yet that player clearly played in an official game.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-06-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:13 PM

/

Last edited by howard38; 09-11-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:09 PM
Nick Barnes

It's minutiae to be sure. But "technically" you have to have appeared in an official game and done something to garner such an appearance. Be it play the field , or hit or throw a pitch or "entered the game".

In a matter of fact, casual way, I'd say that you have to register a statistic to have debuted.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:17 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It's minutiae to be sure. But "technically" you have to have appeared in an official game and done something to garner such an appearance. Be it play the field , or hit or throw a pitch or "entered the game".

In a matter of fact, casual way, I'd say that you have to register a statistic to have debuted.
So what about my hypothetical? Guy swung at a pitch, but I don't think he has an official at bat or any other statistic? But he clearly appeared, no?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So what about my hypothetical? Guy swung at a pitch, but I don't think he has an official at bat or any other statistic? But he clearly appeared, no?
man IDK.... that's so weird as you wouldn't have a stat.......

I would think the next PA would be considered their debut in the records anyway
Old 08-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
man IDK.... that's so weird as you wouldn't have a stat.......

I would think the next PA would be considered their debut in the records anyway
Right but it's a hypothetical, suppose that one swing was it for the guy. Did he play in the majors or not? Surely he did, but no stat shows it. Of course, the pitch would show up in the pitcher's pitch count. I guess the solution is to call it a plate appearance with an asterisk or something. Only baseball gives rise to discussions like this.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-08-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

This entire hypothetical is really just a thought experiment.

The game was an 'official' MLB game at the time he entered into play (not a spring training or exhibition game), but only due to the technicality of a rain out did it become a footnote in history. So, as a human being, he clearly made his debut in the majors, whether or not the stats of the day counted in the record books.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
This entire hypothetical is really just a thought experiment.

The game was an 'official' MLB game at the time he entered into play (not a spring training or exhibition game), but only due to the technicality of a rain out did it become a footnote in history. So, as a human being, he clearly made his debut in the majors, whether or not the stats of the day counted in the record books.
But was it? It isn't an official game until 5 innings, no? I agree with you, as I said in my first post, but it's still an interesting thought experiment.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-09-2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:19 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Without looking back at all the previous posts (so I may not be saying anything new here)…

If someone asked this guy, "Did you ever play in the major leagues?," he could clearly answer in the affirmative. Say he hit a home run in said game, then answering the question, "Did you ever homer in the major leagues?" could also be answered yes. At the time he homered, it was during an officially sanctioned game and nothing changes that fact. It was something he actually did. Heck, there may even be film footage of it. But does the game (and stats) officially count in the annals of history? Nope, but he did actually and truly play in an MLB game that got called early because of rain.

It's the whole 'Schrödinger's cat' thing. He both played and didn't play in the major leagues.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.