NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Default Slightly OT - question after watching Ken Burns "Baseball"

Posted By: Joann

Watched the first two segments - covering everything up to about 1910 - this weekend.

I think it's awesome to see images that I recognize from vintage collecting, especially the photos that became T206 poses.

I was thinking at one point that whoever invented softball ought to be shot in the a$$ because it pushed baseball aside in this country everywhere except the MLB/minor system, and the college and lower educational system.

At the turn of the century, people formed baseball teams - men, women, all races, etc. Now if you aren't in school or in the minors/majors somewhere, chances are pretty good that softball is the primary option.

So did the introduction of softball help or hurt baseball? Did softball dilute baseball? Or did it make the essential structure of the game, and being able to play at all, more available to those with lesser skills, aging, etc?

Just curious as to where people think softball fits in, and whether the early 1900's were better in that it was more baseball focused.

J

Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave Hornish

I believe softball evolved from "indoor baseball" so it may not have been a clear cut choice at the turn of the century to play one or the other. People may have played both; don't forget a lot of people played regular baseball 100 years ago-it wasn's structured like it is now.

Dave

Old 02-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Dave - thanks for the response. That's exactly my question - it used to be different in that baseball was pretty much the only choice, so everyone played it.

Has softball helped by making the basic game more accessible, or has it hurt by diluting baseball as a pure sport?

J

Old 02-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I don't think softball can be blamed for the decline in baseball. Kids just have a whole lot more choice when it comes to a sport to play. C1900 basketball was in its infancy, Soccer was a european sport that hadn't really taken hold in the US, only the rich could play golf and football was just not as popular. Softball evolved from the indoor baseball game (and Kitty/Diamond ball) which came about because a baseball crazed nation loved to play the game in the wintertime too...it was a necessity to make the ball larger and softer or every hit would be richocheting off the walls. Softball is big today IMO because it's viewed more as a recreational sport which just about everyone can play....it's beer league stuff.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Softball in my opinion is a completely different sport than is baseball.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Joann,
"Or did it make the essential structure of the game, and being able to play at all, more available to those with lesser skills, aging, etc?"

"BINGO" - As my senses, skills, stamina, physical abilities & most of all my sight(hand eye cordination) deminished, Softball became a great sport for me to continue to compete in. By the time I was 30, Baseball at 80 miles an hour wasn't an option anymore! (Unless ofcourse, hitting .240ish in a bush league is tolerable? For me it wasn't close!) Fast pitch Softball became the ticket to my competitive spirit. IMO, I don't feel that the game of baseball was at all changed by Softball. I do however feel that the adoption of the big pay day was Baseballs downfall, if there was one at all? But, I must concede to the fact that it weighs nothing on my heart for the love of the game(Big Paydays that Is!). What they get paid is of little interest to me...
In Mr. Ritter's, "The Glory of Their Times", Which is the foundation to Burn's Show, Sam Crawford talks bout how he missed getting a pension by one year & Lost all his savings in the stock market crash. What amazed me the most was that He didn't sound at all bitter...He talks bout how back then they played for the Love of the game. His recollection of his past was full of fond memories of Baseball. Outstanding stuff from a HOF'er who says he was barely able to keep his home... You take the Millions away from most ball players today and the story most likely will not be filled with fond memories.... To say the least

"Great Question Jo!"

Life's Grand,
Denny Walsh