NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-07-2018, 11:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My initial gut reaction on this is that it is a more modern piece OR maybe, a newspaper type piece from the past. The lithography looks like it does on some / many reproduction pieces I see. It screams reproduction. It might be real, but it screams something different. (at least to me, the novice)
I think it was good PWCC ended the auction to have it further evaluated. Kudo's to them for that.

ps....still not a bad looking piece for what it is, not completely unlike the large Horner composites repros that can go for a few thousand dollars. No idea on value of these.

Last edited by Leon; 09-07-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:59 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
My initial gut reaction on this is that it is a more modern piece OR maybe, a newspaper type piece from the past. The lithography looks like it does on some / many reproduction pieces I see. It screams reproduction. It might be real, but it screams something different. (at least to me, the novice)
I think it was good PWCC ended the auction to have it further evaluated. Kudo's to them for that.

ps....still not a bad looking piece for what it is, not unlike the large Horner composites repros that can go for a few thousand dollars. No idea on value of these.
I agree LL. Here's my initial thought: If they are fake (which for all intents and purposes I am in agreement) wouldn't they be all over the place?? I've seen maybe 2-3 in the last several years which lead me to think they were maybe some kind of counter display....
Old 09-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
I agree LL. Here's my initial thought: If they are fake (which for all intents and purposes I am in agreement) wouldn't they be all over the place?? I've seen maybe 2-3 in the last several years which lead me to think they were maybe some kind of counter display....
Large repros are more difficult to make? I dunno
Old 09-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Why would they have to be all over the place? How much, other than his time, do you think the maker of these has invested in them? He could walk one of these into a show, find someone to give him a couple of grand for it, and he's back out and thinking of what other fakes he can make. If he can do that with several of these, all the better. Eventually, the buyers will realize they have been screwed when they are rejected by auction houses, and they will end up on eBay to recoup at least a few dollars by those willing to take a chance or maybe even just have a nice fantasy piece to put on the wall. I've had autograph experts tell me that their very first look at a piece is usually the best, that an opinion that would be rendered right then is almost always confirmed by further study and technology. I'm certainly not the expert on memorabilia that some of the big boys that have seen just about everything are, but I have seen a lot of old stuff over the years, and neither one of these pieces looked right even at first glance. Real aging has a look to it, fake aging has another look. Real distress and wear looks real, it's not uniform, it's a corner that has been exposed when the rest of the piece was covered, a tear in taking a poster off a wall at some point, it's haphazard. Even staining should normally only be in one area and the rest should be fine, not all stained up with numerous blemishes like the back of this Hassan piece. What was it lying in, mayonnaise? Memorabilia can be tough, a lot of things just don't have many exemplars around. The real one of these--owned by my good buddy and legendary collector Ron Menchine, by the way, is the only one known. How can that be, you say? I don't know, but I do know that I've handled, and still own, some things that are the only ones I've ever seen in 40 years of doing this. Bottom line is that the only solid rule to go by here is the one we've all ignored at some point over the years and hopefully learned our lesson: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."
Old 09-09-2018, 08:26 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

The best we're gonna get?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tenor.jpg (5.8 KB, 709 views)
Old 09-09-2018, 11:02 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Wow... Surprised to see it's still listed as of 10 AM Pacific / 1 PM EDT on Sunday.

I would think that the nominal amount of money they'd make on this piece pales in comparison to the ramifications of selling a known fake. Hopefully they'll do the right thing here for everyone's benefit (especially their own).
Old 09-09-2018, 11:25 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Here's another "beauty" from Acofind….

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-19...wAAOSw7p5adNH9

Someone blew up the DiMaggio Wheaties Panel, to create a "Window Sign Poster". But it's just the same old washed out colors and phony aging that we've all seen before.

And gee.... look in the background in the upper-right. What a coincidence!
Old 09-10-2018, 07:46 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

What a complete joke!!

PWCC knowingly sold this garbage

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1941-Louisvil...EAAOSw5Z5biZKh
Old 11-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Chris Counts

My friend John has one of the large ones displayed in his antique shop in Monterey, CA. He's had it for many years, and simply assumed it is fake.

Mark, I've been watching the "window sign poster" of Dimaggio on eBay for awhile, and I never got a good feeling about it.

Last edited by Chris Counts; 11-28-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:26 PM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Since you consider yourself somewhat descent in peddling fake signs Brent, your latest shouldn't be surprising

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F143344767107

And since your criminal defense attorney is a fan of Ty Cobb ask if he wants to bid
Old 08-04-2019, 11:02 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
Since you consider yourself somewhat descent in peddling fake signs Brent, your latest shouldn't be surprising

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F143344767107

And since your criminal defense attorney is a fan of Ty Cobb ask if he wants to bid
Oh for goodness' sake.... not again! This one has been around the block so many times. It just keeps re-appearing like a bad herpes rash.

I cannot believe (in the midst of all that's going on) that PWCC listed this blatantly phony Cobb Sign, and that they're still running with it. On second thought I guess I can actually believe it, given the source.

Jeff.... If you are seeing this, please have your client take it down ASAP, before another person is duped by these fakes. They need to terminate the auction, and hand this piece of crap over to law enforcement before it surfaces yet again.

Even if they wanted to sell it properly and clearly list it as a "repro", it will eventually re-appear somewhere as being authentic. It needs to be confiscated. How could they even think of listing this piece, after pretending to be humbled by the last set of fakes? It does not appear they're learning much from their past and plentiful "mistakes".