NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2003, 03:08 AM
Administrator

Default BASIC PROBLEMS WITH SCAMMERS

Posted By: rob 

1. It wastes the time of those looking for items up for auction.
2. It drives down the price that can be realized from legitimate stuff up for auction, because a history search of product will show lowered prices.
3. The fake stuff pulls away at least some money that would be spent on legitimate product.
4. The proliferation of garbage serves to deter new collectors /investors of vintage memoriablia using ebay as a venue.

Personally, I come across things and have sold some items out of my collection which compete for the same money as the stuff being sold by the dirtbags like eagle8016 and prizesports@yahoo.com.

When I sell an item of this type, I want the best price I can get, because there is not all that much product around and difficult to replace. So I view those clowns as potentially costing me money . So I won't list any more raw HOF vintage stuff on ebay until ebay remove those cretins, or until those sleazy fly by night garbage sellers get nailed (perhaps a month) and no one takes their place.

Old 08-09-2003, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I simply do not list expensive items any more unless they are graded by a major service. It simply makes economic sense to sell this way because the perception created by the ebay frauds is that raw, rare stuff is inherently suspect. I don't make this rule, I just report it.

Yes, I know, buy from reputable dealer, blah, blah, blah, but let's be real. I am a reputable dealer to me and to those who know me, but to all of the millions who view ebay. . . I don't care who you are, there are bound to be a lot of viewers who've never heard of you. Those folks are a hell of a lot more likely to buy an SGC=graded card from a stranger for bigger bucks.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H.

Adam is completely right. The "scammers" may in fact be the best thing around for the grading companies. I know that I would almost never buy an ungraded card purporting to be in Ex-Mt or better condition. Also, when I sell I almost feel compelled to say why I didn't get a card graded unless its in bad shape. On top of it I am very retiscent to buy any ungraded card from an unknown (to me) seller while I will buy a graded card I want from almost anyone (especially if I can use a credit card). If you extrapolate this to the wider group of buyers and seller it means more cards will get graded (I mean by reputable companies of course).