NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 03-25-2015, 02:52 PM

Default I found Jim Jeffries personal photo collection

A couple of years ago, I cleared out the estate of an elderly family member including a box of photographs of old time boxers. Each had handwritten captions identifying it as a playing card, i.e.; "Trainor and Tighe - Fighting Bob's Best Middleweights (8 Clubs)"

These are the originals that Jim Jeffries chose for the "Jim Jeffries Souvenir Playing Cards Set"; his way of promoting the Jeffries v. Johnson "Great White Hope" bout of 1910.There is a very good showing of those cards at GoldinAuctions>
http://goldinauctions.com/1909-jim-j...-lot6063.aspx#

There are fifty cards, each with Jim Jeffries' handwriting that designates the caption, suit and rank. Also in the box were about forty Dana Postcards of the Johnson-Jeffries fight, and six other boxers with the names written on the back by Jeffries (Attell, Papke, Memsic, Jack Sullivan, Joe Gans and Tommy McFarland)

These may belong in the boxing hall of fame. or I'd love to see them used as a documentary of our first great pro athletes, white and African American. Check the six-of-clubs: “Fredericks-Rafferty “ A Pair Of Uncle Sam's Best Featherweights” - one guy is boxing in a jock strap and the other has an athletic supporter on the outside of his trunks! It's quaint, sweet and a bit gay.

I want them appraised, but by who? There is nothing like them. They are not boxing cards, Provenance suggests they are Jeffries' own collection.

I attach a jpg of Jeffries designated as Joker, which you could compare to the actual card shown by the GoldinAuctions.com link - the Joker in in the box top-right. and The Six of Clubs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J Jeffries Card.jpg (88.7 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg Joker - Jim Jeffries_marked.jpg (68.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 6 of Clubs.jpg (69.6 KB, 206 views)
Old 03-25-2015, 04:07 PM
Dave

Are you saying you have the original photos mocked-up as they were set to appear in the Jeffries Playing card set?

Very interesting, and I'd be curious to see more pieces shown.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:51 PM

Default Originals

I would not want to use the wrong terminology, but I believe you are right. If you look at the photos I attached, you can see where Jim Jeffries designated the suit and rank, wrote a caption for the printer. The cards were printed by the Jeffries company (no known relation.
Jeffries gave the mock ups to a relative of mine who helped him with promotion. They were given to that man's son, who died at age 12.
The boy's little sister kept her brothers toys until she died a couple of years ago. I am not sure where I would post a collection this large
Old 03-25-2015, 06:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I am a Jeffries collector, so this is a very exciting find!

The ink signature would be about a $400-$500 signature in a certified cut form. As I look at it I am not sure it is vintage ink. That would need to be investigated. The handwriting at the top does not appear to be Jeffries'. I had a similar item and it was not his. The photo itself is a cabinet card from 1899 that was turned into the artwork. Here is what it looked like:

One question I have is why the mount is still there. If the photo was skinned it would be without mount. Perhaps it is a 2nd generation photo [picture of a picture].

If these are the actual production photos and mock-ups used to make the cards, they are valuable but it is not possible to say how much outside an auction setting. As mounted boxing photos ca. 1909 they would have values in the range of $50, or more depending on condition and subjects. Some of the 'duds' in the set aren't worth much as photos because no one would collect them, but to the right specialty collectors the others would be worth more. Attell and Johnson would command premiums from collectors. Again, you would need to auction them to establish value.

The other photo was from a Fleet Week and was used on a postcard.

The Dana PCs range in value depending on condition and subject matter.

I would love to see more scans. If you have trouble as to where to host them, PM me and perhaps I can help through my web site.

I don't know what you want to do with them. I could certainly make you an offer on them since I collect Jeffries stuff, but I would be taking a SWAG approach since it is impossible to say what they would command at auction. If you want an AH recommendation, I would suggest trying Love of the Game. Al [Crisafulli; he is on the board here] is great to work with and he does not hesitate to ask for boxing guys like me to help when it comes to ID and write-ups. BST [also on board here] just did their first auction and they made a nice showing, plus they advertise big cash advances, so that would be worth considering.

I would love for you to sell them on eBay so I could afford them; in other words, don't do that!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-25-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:33 PM
Dave

Yes, the Jeffries photo is certainly a 2nd generation photo mock-up. Whether that Jeffries signature is his or not, it definitely matches up exactly with the card.

Looks like pre-production card art from a fairly somewhat widespread set. Aesthetically it's one of my favorite boxing sets of all-time, though it can be had at a reasonable price.

If he had the original production of the Johnson/McVey card, that would be wonderful to see.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:30 AM

I would have interest if Frank Gotch was on some items.... Farmer Burns too. They can be found on Jeffries items from time to time.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:15 AM

Default Great find

I would be interested in the entire collection, second gen photos or not, including the postcards if you want to sell them. This should be kept together. donscott4@me.com
Old 03-28-2015, 07:56 PM

Default Different pic

FYI, the photo shown for the Joker may have been from the same photo session as the one shown by Exhibit Man but they are in fact different poses.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Whatever Don bids I'll top by a buck

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Tags
jim jeffries