NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 12-19-2012, 04:41 AM
Alan U

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
From my understanding he was let go THEN sued. He didn't begin his lawsuit before being terminated. The first complaint is for "wrongful termination". So he isn't losing his paycheck because of the lawsuit, the lawsuit is because he lost his paycheck.
I was referring to the stupid comments that he made to get himself fired. Was watching the show tonight and as always it made me laugh at the values he put on the items. The other guy I don't really like, Darrell made a big score on some art.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
I was referring to the stupid comments that he made to get himself fired. Was watching the show tonight and as always it made me laugh at the values he put on the items. The other guy I don't really like, Darrell made a big score on some art.

*So he is in the wrong because he pointed out that what his bosses were doing was illegal and then got fired for it?

(*assuming that his lawsuit is true)
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
*So he is in the wrong because he pointed out that what his bosses were doing was illegal and then got fired for it?

(*assuming that his lawsuit is true)

Was it illegal?

I watched a couple shows last night and it really isn't a competition despite the numbers board at the end.

Just a bunch of storage lockers bought and arbitrary numbers thrown out as values at the end. No real prizes for who wins or loses.

They do the same thing with "Deadliest Catch", though in a most likely much less arbitrary way, in comparing the crab catches and deck hand wages for the different boats.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Was it illegal?

I watched a couple shows last night and it really isn't a competition despite the numbers board at the end.

Just a bunch of storage lockers bought and arbitrary numbers thrown out as values at the end. No real prizes for who wins or loses.

They do the same thing with "Deadliest Catch", though in a most likely much less arbitrary way, in comparing the crab catches and deck hand wages for the different boats.
That is what he alleges. He alleges that he made some comments about some of the things being illegal and were in "violation of of the Communications act of 1934" and that when it was brought up he was fired. If this is true, then why would we be so harsh on him?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Alan U

Well my view is that he's been participating in the practices and getting paid for it for several years so he's just as guilty if it was illegal.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Any time I want something gone I just put it at the curb with a sign that says "$10 put payment in mailbox" and it is gone within a few hours [no money, of course]. I've put things put with "free" signs and they dont get taken.

I figure lots of things are staged on those shows; they'd have to be. In my experience the kind of person who abandons a locker doesn't have good stuff to begin with, though there are exceptions. But antiques and such every time, no way. I can see how a junk shop owner could make out if they buy at the right price. I also never bought the enmity between the bidders. Us card geeks are battle-hardened auction veterans. I've probably been to dozens of live auctions and participated in hundreds of online ones and I've never gone out of my way to 'stick' someone with a bad lot. No one takes that risk as a professional and I find it highly implausible that these supposed pro auction buyers get caught up in such petty BS; certainly has to be scripted.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-20-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:29 PM

Default Of Course the Show is Staged !!

Evening,

I was involved in the Industry peripherally many years ago when I lived in So. Cal. I still have many friends that work on different shows and in fact a gaffer who does contract work on Pawn Stars and does a lot of local LA TV work was just here to go skiing in Colorado staying with me. We had a long discussion over many Beers about the state of the Reality TV Business today.

That show and 90% of the reality shows you see on TV are scripted crap, the exceptions being Dirty Jobs, Survivor (Most aspects, some of it is manipulated that as they say "Doesn't affect the Outcome") Most of American Pickers, although all of the interaction with the guys in the van is scripted, the girl at their shop, and some of the interactions with the people they Pick, but for the most part its above board.

All, and I mean all of these are total crap and to me borderline on being Illegal because they are decieving the public.

Pawn Stars
Whatever that redneck Pawn Stars show is called
The belligerent Detroit A$$hole Pawn Show
The House thing with the Super Pretty People
Most of the Bachleor/Date, Pretty People shows

Shark Tank according to another Buddy is all set up ahead of time and although the actual People pitching their ideas/products is real, the Sharks are provided with background info and research info ahead of time and have pretty much come to Gentlemen's agreements before the people ever walk into the room!

As far as Dave Hesters Lawsuit, that is just a diversion from the real action. His attorneys aren't after some piddly little $25K per episode, that's Chump Change in the big picture, or to embarass the Production Company. He's after more of the real money...The Residuals, he gets a check mailed to him every time one of those shows plays in re-runs for $500-$1K, and those things play Hundreds and Hundreds of times per week!! That's the REAL MONEY!!! I have friends who years later as Gaffers/Sound/Grips/Pre and Post Production Assistants get a large part of their income off Residuals!!!

So the real money and the real reason for My Yuuutz's lawsuit will be settled quietly for a rather large sum of money, because there are Millions of dollars still to made by the producers and that show hasn't run its course yet, still has 2-4 years to be dragged out!!!

I wouldn't waste one moment of time watching that crap if you paid me.....Well wait a minute..maybe for some Residual Checks !!!!

Neil
Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Any time I want something gone I just put it at the curb with a sign that says "$10 put payment in mailbox" and it is gone within a few hours [no money, of course]. I've put things put with "free" signs and they dont get taken.

I figure lots of things are staged on those shows; they'd have to be. In my experience the kind of person who abandons a locker doesn't have good stuff to begin with, though there are exceptions. But antiques and such every time, no way. I can see how a junk shop owner could make out if they buy at the right price. I also never bought the enmity between the bidders. Us card geeks are battle-hardened auction veterans. I've probably been to dozens of live auctions and participated in hundreds of online ones and I've never gone out of my way to 'stick' someone with a bad lot. No one takes that risk as a professional and I find it highly implausible that these supposed pro auction buyers get caught up in such petty BS; certainly has to be scripted.
I've never seen as much "sticking" it to them as with any of these auction shows... Every seller seems to be out to get the other...

In reality I'm good friends with most of the people who go the auctions and lots sell for half price or less due to people letting others have lots.