NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-15-2016, 04:17 PM
Ne@l K

Default 1953 Bowman Color

A classic set from a classic decade ....

I think I am going to make a run at this set. I have always liked the images, the set is chock full of HOF and star power, and at 160 cards, the set is small enough for me to make an honest attempt. Currently I own two cards in mid grade, PSA 5 and 6, and that is going to be my benchmark .... as long as the image is nice.

1953BowmanColorSpahnPSA5.jpg1953BowmanRoberts.jpg

Each of the above seems to have one of the nuances of the set - centering on the Roberts and some print marks on Spahnnies red brim. Seems that the color red in the set always has some issues, but I am only guessing.

Does anyone out there collect this set? I would love to see some examples, so please share!

Thanks in advance

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Al Richter

Default 1953

Magnificent set with my favorite Musial. Very well thought of today, it was a market disaster for Bowman in 1953 . First use of color photography versus colored b&w photos, but an expensive set for Bowman to produce, and the 53 Topps set still out sold it. Bowman caved in mid summer and issued it's remaining cards in b&w.

It was the first Bowman set I did. I like it a lot. Good luck with your project, Neal

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-15-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:38 PM
David M.

They are beautiful cards. You really couldn't go wrong to attempt that set in mid-grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953 Bowman Color Musial SGC80 Front.jpg (64.8 KB, 726 views)
Old 08-15-2016, 04:42 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Each card in that set is a work of art.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:48 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Magnificent set with my favorite Musial. Very well thought of today, it was a market disaster for Bowman in 1953 . First use of color photography versus colored b&w photos, but an expensive set for Bowman to produce, and the 53 Topps set still out sold it. Bowman caved in mid summer and issued it's remaining cards in b&w.

It was the first Bowman set I did. I like it a lot. Good luck with your project, Neal
Thanks, Al!

I like the Musial as well.

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-15-2016, 04:49 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
They are beautiful cards. You really couldn't go wrong to attempt that set in mid-grade.
now that is a good looking "collectors grade" card!

Old 08-15-2016, 05:56 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

What a wonderful set! Back in the Fall, I sold a really nice Musial. Why??!!!
Old 08-15-2016, 06:32 PM
Mike

I am building the set in the VG range, mostly raw. I have 87/160 including the Mantle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2016, 06:47 PM
Bob F.

I like the set a lot. I'd still like to upgrade my Ford, but it's not worth it.

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...aspx?setid=196
Old 08-15-2016, 07:09 PM
Mike

This is my Musial.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsbbcards View Post
I like the set a lot. I'd still like to upgrade my Ford, but it's not worth it.

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistr...aspx?setid=196

tremendous set, Bob!

first time I have seen the PSA digital album - wow!

Old 08-15-2016, 07:24 PM
Larry More.y

It is a beautiful set to build....I am at 155/160 currently....here is my Mantle...only the Mantle and two other cards are graded, but the rest of the set is quite consistent with my Mantle. Finding centered cards has indeed been tough, as I have upgraded numerous cards within the set with more centered copies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53 bow.jpg (73.0 KB, 489 views)
Old 08-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Tony Conte

Nice set!

Good luck Neal!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1953 BOWMAN BB card article......

Hey guys

Take the time to read my 1986 Baseball Cards Magazine article on this set....I think you'll find it quite interesting.

TED Z
Old 08-15-2016, 08:14 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Hats off to you guys who have completed this set or are close to doing so. I love it but I am not sure that I could afford to build it in the condition I would be happy with, and I worry that this particular set might not look as good in lower grade.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:

That's an interesting comment. From my perspective, how would you not like a color set with really exciting and interesting poses? What is it about these cards that kids didn't like at the time?

I like Topps and all, but if I won lotto this is the first set I'm buying

EDIT: Thanks for posting that article Ted Z. Sometimes I'm slow to post and didn't see it.

Last edited by Robs70sCards; 08-15-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:07 PM
Jay D Wi.ley

the 1953 Bowmans are great looking cards. One of my earliest vintage card purchases was this Reese in 1984.
Still raw but may get it graded soon.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:10 PM
Bill Gregory

When I get back to collecting, the '53 Bowman set is one of three I'm going to focus on; that, the '75 Topps, which I have a nice start on, and the T206 is the other. I'll bounce back and forth between them, but my main focus will be the Bowman.

The '53 Bowman set is, in my opinion, the only one that challenges the Monster for sheer beauty. They're neck and neck, and, honestly, I don't think I could choose one over the other. I love them equally. But the '53 Bowman set perfectly represents what was a very special time in baseball, and America. It's a time capsule of a time after the WW II, before Vietnam and the turbulent 60s. Sixteen teams, two pennant winners, one World Champion. No DH. No wild card teams. No interleague play. The Dodgers were still in Brooklyn. The Braves were in Milwaukee.

The photography is just special. Those old players, those unis, those stadiums. Perfection.

Good luck with the set, Neal. Great choice! I look forward to seeing yours (and mine) grow. We've got the same idea in mind. 5/6 grade with high eye appeal. Hopefully we won't be competing for too many cards. You've got a head start on me

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:16 PM
Bill Gregory

I think building the '53 set is more of a marathon than a sprint. So long as a builder is patient, willing to take the time to look for nice mid grade examples, it's very doable.

There are a few cards that are going to be very costly. The Mick, especially, in a 5/6 is with eye appeal to match the other cards is going to set me back a few thou, easily. The Pee Wee, especially, demands near perfect centering, and that should be pretty costly. But a lot of these guys (including some of the Hall of Famers) are still very affordable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Hats off to you guys who have completed this set or are close to doing so. I love it but I am not sure that I could afford to build it in the condition I would be happy with, and I worry that this particular set might not look as good in lower grade.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:31 AM
Ne@l K

Thanks for sharing some images and comments, as well as the words of encouragement. Ted, thanks for sharing that article! I had known about some high number toughies, and that seems to explain a lot.

This is certainly going to be a patient effort as I am in no rush. I was able to win 7 low number commons for $9.99 each, so that will take me to nine in a few days - 151 to go, including the Mick!

Old 08-16-2016, 06:39 AM
D@vid L@dd

I have been working on this set, but in low grade. Been buying commons for $1-3, and stars I have been buying certified in the 1-4 range. I am about 100 cards in...missing the Mick, Spahn, Feller, the Duke, some easy commons and a bunch of high numbers.

I am doing the set as many above have stated, the photography is sheer artwork. In low grade, the set is still very enjoyable and not extremely expensive as there are no big rookies.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:56 AM
Steve

Default Genius of George Moll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs70sCards View Post
That's an interesting comment. From my perspective, how would you not like a color set with really exciting and interesting poses? What is it about these cards that kids didn't like at the time?

I like Topps and all, but if I won lotto this is the first set I'm buying

EDIT: Thanks for posting that article Ted Z. Sometimes I'm slow to post and didn't see it.
Al is certainly correct about the 1953 Topps cards outselling Bowmans' issue that year, but that fact was was not due to kids preferring the Topps cards at all. Rather, the relatively poorer sales figures for Bowman had to do with a smaller distribution and probably lower production numbers overall. Personally, I can recall kids in my schoolyard falling all over each other to get a look at the new Bowmans when they hit the stores that spring. The amazing color photography and innovative design impressed kids far more than the more pedestrian hand-drawn artwork used by Topps. Nonetheless, more kids had stacks of the Topps cards simply because that was what they found on store shelves and countertops. I recall riding a bike all over my small (40K) hometown trying to find the Bowman cards without much success that year. Candy distributors just bought many more cases of Topps product than Bowman regardless of what kids might have preferred.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:20 AM
Al Richter

Default Bowman

The Bowman family had great timing and had sold their interests earlier at the peak of their baseball card success , before Toops began to ascend with the results of the 52 set. The new owners did not have the Bowman family marketing instincts and experience. The increased expense of color photos in their 53 set cut back their marketing budget. After 53 Bowman limped through 1954 and made a last ditch effort with their color TV concept in 1955. It fell flat, maybe because so few families were even familiar with color TVs in 1955.

Also, although the set is admired today for the uncluttered front, kids may have preferred a name and team designation on the front

Whatever you think of Dean's Cards pricing, he does have a good book on the bubble gum wars between Topps and Bowman from 1948 to 1955. Topps first major foray into baseball cards was 1951, but they did have a baseball subset in their 1948 Magic Photo set.

I get a smile out of thinking about Steve pedaling all over town looking for 53 Bowmans

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 08-16-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:26 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hey guys

Take the time to read my 1986 Baseball Cards Magazine article on this set....I think you'll find it quite interesting.

TED Z
Ted, thank you for your article...it was a great read 30 years ago when I could just dream of building this set....I reread your article a few years back and it helped push me in the direction to building this set (slowly).
Old 08-16-2016, 11:02 AM
Josh Adams

Great set Neal. That Mantle pose is very cool.
Al, I enjoyed reading your info about this set and the Bowman/Topps of the 50s. very cool. see, I learned something today
Old 08-16-2016, 11:23 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Thanks Rob, Neal, and savedfrommyspokes for the compliments regarding my 1953 Bowman article.

I've completed two of these sets; and, here are some of my nicer looking stars.

. . [img]

The "colorful" Casey Stengel should have printed in the color set.

"Kodakchrome......
they give us the nice bright colors
they give us the greens of summers
makes you think the world's a sunny day
BOWMAN got a Nikron camera
they love to take a photograph
so please don't take my Kodakchrome BOWMAN's away"

Paul Simon, 1973

TED Z
Old 08-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Al Richter

Default Stengel

Ted--I wonder if anyone has ever created a color version of that card.

Always great to have you drop in on post war
Old 08-16-2016, 03:51 PM

Default Phillies Win ( Finally )

..even in stained rat condition , as a group, my Philadelphia Phillies look the best of any team in the '53 Bowman Color...,,differing opinions welcomed !! Go ahead , Matt , post yer damned Dodgers !

Old 08-16-2016, 04:14 PM

Neal; Solid choice! Really great to have you in the set collecting game!
The photography for this set is so amazing that any condition card looks fantastic.
That Phillies montage is a perfect example of that.

The poses, the unique camera angles and the stellar era relative color just ooze vintage at it's best.

Can't wait to see your next additions.
RayB
Old 08-16-2016, 04:53 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I have to stop looking at this thread! I am locked in on building a '65 Topps set and have thought about a '61 or '62 Topps set next or even a '54 Topps, but this darn thread could suck me back in. A couple of years back, I sold off the 20 or so I had (including a really nice Musial that I wish I had back). Back in the spring, I bought an ex condition Spahn which I still have. These are so beautiful...
Old 08-16-2016, 06:11 PM
Ne@l K

This thread has outperformed my expectations lol! Thanks for the contributions, fellas.

The Phillies grouping is fantastic, and as much as I love the Ashburn, the Mel Clark is a knockout baseball card.

Ted - is Dan Paley still around? The one and only time I set up at show (Ft Washington March 2000) you were on my left, Dan Paley on my right, Roger Burns across the aisle and Joe Chechovich right next to him. It was a great learning experience.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Neal

Dan Paley is still the character you may recall from 16 years ago at the Ft Washington Philly Show.

He's doesn't set-up at shows, however, anymore.

Great hearing from you again.

TED Z
Old 08-17-2016, 08:05 AM

Neal,
This is an amazing set to work on and one I am currently about 60% complete on the HoFers part of it. I dont think I have the patience to do a complete set but if I did I think I could do it with this one.
That is a nice Spahn and Roberts. I need both of those two.
Better go ahead and get a Mantle now lol The prices on that card has been exploding recently. 2 months ago you could get a psa 4 for aroud $500. Now they are easily $600-$650. 5s were $650-$700 and are now approaching $1000 especially if the centering is nice.

To me it is an incredibly beautiful set. To me it is most amazingly beautiful set ever.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:19 AM
Ne@l K

Good to hear Dan is still a character, Ted!

Arex - thanks. The Mantle is certainly on my list, but that is one card that I will be patient on. I have seen a few in recent months, but was not wowed by any other than those out of my ballpark. Ashburn, Berra, and Snider need to have the wow factor also.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:36 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Ted

I have always really liked that article and had recommended it to other fans of the 1953 Bowman Color Set. Never realized you wrote it until you posted it. Very informative and well written, even though written years ago its information has held up over the years.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Steve

Wink The '50's

Quote:

I get a smile out of thinking about Steve pedaling all over town looking for 53 Bowmans
Beating the game, Al.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kid on bike.jpg (77.3 KB, 411 views)
Old 08-17-2016, 08:09 PM
Jim McKinley

Default Working on the set for 3 years now...

I absolutely love this set. Some of the best looking cards of all time.

When I started collecting this set (PSA 5-6 range), I thought "piece of cake... only 160 cards (in the color set)." It has taken a lot longer than I anticipated. I am about 85% through the set with most of the HOF's. The tough part has been finding some of the high number cards in good condition... my quest continues!

Good luck with your journey!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bb scan.jpg (77.9 KB, 393 views)
Old 08-17-2016, 08:31 PM
Ne@l K

Nice cards, and thanks for sharing.

I think "piece of cake" as well! I know that will not be the case. I am prepared to be patient. In my limited searches, there are going to be some very tough cards to find with the appeal within the grade that I am looking for.

I did add about 16 PSA 5-6 players over the past few days, but it appears that the Staley and Hamner types are pretty common. But also very colorful!

Really looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:26 PM
Bill Gregory

Oh, wow, Ted. I didn't know you wrote that. I used to go to the local baseball card shop in Waukesha, and buy Baseball Cards Magazine each time I'd buy some packs, or a box of Topps wax packs. That was one of my favorite articles to ever appear in the magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hey guys

Old 08-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Ne@l K

If I can continue to find PSA 5's and 6's like these, I'll be a happy set builder.

49 Stanky.jpg60 Hamner.jpg

Old 08-21-2016, 01:53 PM

Neal - Those are ridiculously nice.
Great pick-ups.
Only the set builder gets Granny Hamner!
RayB
Old 08-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Al Richter

Default Granny

Hey, 3 time All Star
Old 08-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Hey, 3 time All Star
indeed!

Old 08-21-2016, 03:33 PM
D@vid L@dd

Got this pretty cheap at the Westchester show yesterday...paid $10 for RCR...authentic, not trimmed, and actually doesn't look that bad in hand...

Old 08-21-2016, 05:34 PM
David M.

That card was loved!
Old 08-22-2016, 06:12 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

There have been some beautiful cards in this thread. Thanks to everyone who has shared. In surfing ebay, there seems to be very few well centered examples of the big HOFers. I have thought about stepping away from the '65 Topps set I am working on and spending time on this set. It would definitely be a test of patience! I really love the look of the photography, the uniforms, stadium backgrounds, etc. My collecting has gotten so selective on centering I just don't know if I could survive trying to do this.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
That card was loved!
over and over and over again lol!

Love it!

Old 08-22-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoEsq View Post
Got this pretty cheap at the Westchester show yesterday...paid $10 for RCR...authentic, not trimmed, and actually doesn't look that bad in hand...

David - Your a true collector. Proves there is a Mantle for everyone.
I love it.
RayB
Old 08-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Bill Gregory

Here are a couple from my humble (and small, thus far) collection:

I'd like to have a set in the EX to EX-MT range. The Irvin and Kiner will be replaced with examples demonstrating better centering. I wasn't as picky about centering when I bought these. It will take me a long time, but it's good to have goals.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-23-2016 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:41 AM

I love the way the photographer took most of the photos for this set from ground level up.
Makes the players seem larger than life, which to us kids who collected the cards, they were.
RayB