NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-11-2012, 09:00 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Default Chantilly/DC area roll call

The show is this weekend and is usually a good one. I will be there Sunday.Hope to meet some other Net54ers.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Jason Stricker

Wow, I had completely forgotten about this show. I'll be there Friday afternoon.

I've been to this show a few times in recent history, but have only met one Net54 member - Ken C. I don't have any of the pins or t-shirts, so perhaps I need to paint my face with the Net54 logo or something.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Leon, could you bring some Net 54 tshirts to the national to sell?
Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM

I will be there all day Friday. Looking forward to it !!!

Alan

Last edited by Jewish-collector; 07-11-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Out of town (again)! Stupid vacation...
Old 07-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Hadn't yet settled on a day, but, now I'll plan on being there Sunday so we can meet up, Todd.

I will have to bring along my daughter as part of the multi-page agreement with my wife for not leaving her with both kids on a Sunday.

Will have on a Phillies hat and will have adorable blonde 5 year old girl in tow. I'm new around here, but, would love to meet others.

Mike
Old 07-11-2012, 12:02 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Sounds great mike. I will probalby be wearing a green Marshall University baseball cap.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Jason Wells

I hope to make it Saturday afternoon.I have a couple of cards I think I can acquire there.Good luck to everyone else going.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Kyle

I'll be there Friday afternoon. Skipping out of work early, can't wait.

Kyle
Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Val Kehl

I'll be there all day Friday, and I'll try to remember to wear my Net 54 pin (thanks again, Leon) and red Nationals bb cap. I'm a relatively-tall old fart who wears glasses. If you spot me, please say hello.

If you like barbecue, my wife and I highly recommend Willard's Barbecue, which is the corner of the complex, a few doors down from the entrance to the show. They offer pork, chicken and beef, and prices are reasonable. They have tables to sit at, but you order and pick up your food at the counter.

I've noted some Net 54 threads re members doing regional get togethers. Would anyone be interested in having a mid-Atlanticish regional get together, perhaps in conjunction with a future Chantilly, VA, Show?
Val
Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Ke.n K0hen

I'll be there a few hours on Friday and maybe some on Saturday, depending on what I see Friday.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
I'll be there a few hours on Friday and maybe some on Saturday, depending on what I see Friday.
Hi Ken - I sense this means you are not setting up at this show, right? If so, this is a huge loss for pre-WWII card collectors, as this is pretty much all that Ken normally has in his display.
Best,
Val
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 PM

I agree with Val. Ken has one of the better, if not the best, vintage baseball cards displayed of anyone at that particular show.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Ke.n K0hen

Thanks guys. I tried to find someone to share table costs with me where I would only set up on Friday, but was unsuccessful. My setting up at show days may be over. It's seems to be getting too much like work as there seems to be less and less action and I have concluded that our participation in Net54 gives us the impression that the pre-war card collector universe is actually much smaller than it seems. At Chantilly in particular, which is mostly an autograph show skewed toward football, I can't stop thinking about the infinitesimal odds of someone coming in wearing a Troy Polamalu jersey buying a T206 or E93.

Rather than kvetching (that's for you, Alan) about it, as I have just spent the last few lines doing, it's probably better to stop, at least for now, and figure out if I want to liquidate my stuff. I hear dealers complain at shows all the time and I had become one of them.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Jeff P

I will be there with my two boys on Saturday. Probably between 1-6pm. I'll be wearing a Pirate hat and probably be looking at vintage football cards. Come up and say 'hi'!

Jeff
Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Jason Stricker

Quote:
I've noted some Net 54 threads re members doing regional get togethers. Would anyone be interested in having a mid-Atlanticish regional get together, perhaps in conjunction with a future Chantilly, VA, Show?
Val
That could work.

Last edited by t206blogcom; 07-12-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:38 PM

I've tried organizing a meetup in the past before or after the show. More times than not, there wasn't any interest, unfortunately.

Alan
Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 PM
T0dd M@rcum

I know Marco would encourage it
Old 07-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Went over after work. I did see, I think, 3 T3s. A few T206s. Some T202s. Overall, most places began their wares around 1952.

Look to be back on Sunday if not for prewar, I can get a few modern things or top loaders, etc.

Last edited by bigwinnerx; 07-13-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Jason Stricker

I spent a couple of hours walking around the show today. Yes, a few T3s, some decent t206s, t202s and couple T210s, but mostly post-war vintage. Sort of felt like I saw all the same cards back in the spring...

Ran into Ken C. while at the show (good to see you Ken) and met fellow Net54 member Larrie D.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:41 PM

I was there all afternoon today, also. It was great to see Mark & Val. There seemed to be a few tables that were vacant plus there were some regular dealers that were not set up there this time. Crowd was light, too.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Val Kehl

I was surprised that some vintage dealers that usually set up at this show (e.g., Roger Neufeldt (sp?), Bill Chappelle (sp?), Tom Spyker (sp?), Hank Thomas, etc.) were not set up this time. In fact, I jokingly asked Marco Rol if he had banned all the pre-War dealers! I suspect these dealers decided to pass this time because the National in only a few weeks away in nearby Baltimore.
Val
Old 07-14-2012, 07:47 AM

Val,

I talked with a couple of regular dealers early Friday and that is exactly what happened. The other vintage dealers are waiting for the National. Roger Neufeldt lives in Oklahoma. William Chappell lives in Indiana. So to make this trip now and then come back in a few short weeks was just too much for them. These are two guys who have large inventories and always make a great addition to the Chantilly Show.

Now Hank Thomas' missing the show is a different story. I didn't get any info on him. But he is a local. So maybe he had other commitments for the week.

Cy
Old 07-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Hank Thomas

I did skip this show because of the upcoming National in Baltimore. Two years ago, under the same circumstances, The Chantilly show was perhaps the worst I had ever had there in 15 years, and I realized afterwards what had happened: some collectors had skipped the show because they would be seeing the same dealers, and 500 more, in Baltimore three weeks later. And from my viewpoint, I will be surely be seeing the same collectors there. And, though it's a small thing, Marco's elimination of the early payment discount for table fees clinched it for me. Just one more slap in the face for us little guys, with nothing to show for it in return. This is what happened to the Philly show when Hunt took it over and immediately priced half the dealers out. Brilliant. I'm not sure that show will survive much longer, and if Marco is OK with his autograph lineup together with some supplies dealers making up the "show," that's what he'll end up with at Chantilly.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:12 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I may or may not be able to make the national this year, so i am going to get up early and go to chantilly tomorrow. Hope it will work out.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I did skip this show because of the upcoming National in Baltimore. Two years ago, under the same circumstances, The Chantilly show was perhaps the worst I had ever had there in 15 years, and I realized afterwards what had happened: some collectors had skipped the show because they would be seeing the same dealers, and 500 more, in Baltimore three weeks later. And from my viewpoint, I will be surely be seeing the same collectors there. And, though it's a small thing, Marco's elimination of the early payment discount for table fees clinched it for me. Just one more slap in the face for us little guys, with nothing to show for it in return. This is what happened to the Philly show when Hunt took it over and immediately priced half the dealers out. Brilliant. I'm not sure that show will survive much longer, and if Marco is OK with his autograph lineup together with some supplies dealers making up the "show," that's what he'll end up with at Chantilly.
I agree totally. In the past, as a collector, I'd skip the show too for the reason mentioned. I understand why the dealers do to. Maybe Marco shouldn't have it so close to the National. The show has always been more of an autograph show and I think that will continue.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

I will say I was happy, as far as cards go, it was more populated by singles sellers than wax sellers. I was pricing out Ginter and seemed only about 4 or 5 stands had it and had all agreed on a price except one stand. Otherwise, it was binders and 5000 count boxes. Just not much before 1950.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Back. Wandered with my daughter for a while, she did very well. A nice vendor gave her an old beanie baby as a gift. Made her day.

Bbcard1, our paths did not seem to cross this time. I hope you survived all those Steeler fans there today. Wow!

A lot of the prewar talk seemed to be about the national, which is too bad since I won't be there. Maybe in October. I mentioned T206 to one dealer and mentioned my gravitation to Philadelphia players of those cards and even with a Bender and Collins in his case, instead he pointed me to a binder of post-war Phillies. Oh well.

My only purchases of the day were 2 thick newspaper clipping scrapbooks from 1941 and 1947. The 1947 one has original articles, for example, talking about Jackie coming up from Montreal and what it meant. The other has some clippings and pictures of Ty Cobb and lots of discussion about players getting drafted and what it meant for teams. Very interesting stuff!

Hope all had a good show. See you in October.

Last edited by bigwinnerx; 07-15-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:12 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Mike, looked for you and didn't see you and your daughter...hope to catch you next time. I didn't find much, but decided to play the cards that were dealt to me, so to speak. Picked up a couple of newer cards, a couple of bargain things.