NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 10-20-2013, 10:31 AM

Erik

Two fine choices in the 75 and 76 Sets. While I might favor the 75 Ribbon design a bit more, its hard to ignore the stronger Rookie Crop in the 76 set.

Being a hugh Cowboys and Roger Staubach Fan from the seventies I have work tiredlessly on my seventies sets over the years to maintain high quality sets of the decade, the 75 and 76 included.

I will say that I kind of lend more toward the 76 set, as I have worked much harder on that set than I have the 75 set. Either way you can't go wrong with either choice.

Once I get all the scanning done I will be offering up some higher grade cards from both sets.

John
Old 10-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne View Post
Erik

Two fine choices in the 75 and 76 Sets. While I might favor the 75 Ribbon design a bit more, its hard to ignore the stronger Rookie Crop in the 76 set.

Being a hugh Cowboys and Roger Staubach Fan from the seventies I have work tiredlessly on my seventies sets over the years to maintain high quality sets of the decade, the 75 and 76 included.

I will say that I kind of lend more toward the 76 set, as I have worked much harder on that set than I have the 75 set. Either way you can't go wrong with either choice.

Once I get all the scanning done I will be offering up some higher grade cards from both sets.

John
Sweet cards and yes, two great sets. I do have the complete Buffalo Bills team sets from each year as that was my favorite team as a kid thanks to O.J. Simpson.

I agree, I do like the design of the 1975 set more. It was the first football set I collected as a kid, but I remember having more 1976 Topps Football in shoe boxes as a youngster. Heck, I even remember pasting several of my favorite Bills players from the '76 set in a scrapbook.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:31 AM

Erik

Funny you mentioned pasting cards in a scrapebook.

I did the same thing with a 76 Topps Set! I pasted the cards onto sheets of notebook paper and had the in a binder that they wouldn't even fit in hardly!

Yes the Walter Payton too. I had them for quite a long time before I eventual trashed them after trying to remove them years later. No they were not coming off that paper after the glue job I put to them when I was 12 years old.

I know many(if not most) people view OJ Simpson as a monster and with disgust(Maybe rightfully so) But he was the greatest back from the decade(Maybe all-time). His Superstar power made him a football hero to many young boys at the time and his fame and popularity was second to none.

He had Power, size and breakaway speed and that combination made him an absolute beast and a strong argument can be made that he was the greatest back ever.

Its amazing how money, power, greed and fame can devour a human being.
Its a shame his brilliant career will always be over shadowed by his failures as a human being later in life.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:12 AM
Erik

Nice O.J. rookie card. I have never had one but one day I will pick one up.

I agree with your comments on O.J. John. Sad to see what all the greed, money, fame and power did to him. I remember he had an infant daughter who drowned in a pool in the late 1970's. I am sure that grief added to the mix, how could it not?

Regarding the player O.J., I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago in the 1970's but did not care much for the Bears. O.J. was my favorite player and the Bills were thus my favorite team.

I had the Walter Payton rookie as well but it was not pasted in my scrapbook. But, it did look like I carried it in my wallet for years as it was HEAVILY creased.

Back then I had no idea the cards would be worth something. I collected because I loved to collect. Even today, I collect because I love to collect. Sure, I try to get a card in at least EX+ or EXMT condition today, but if not, no worries.

Getting back to O.J., I think he was the best RB of the 1970's. And, if the Bills were anything when they drafted him he could have put up some better numbers in his first three years and then really challenged Jimmy Brown's all time rushing record. O.J. did all his damage in a span of five years, from 1972 - 1976.