NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-23-2017, 07:35 AM

Still have no idea why a house would charge a commission if they charge a buyer's premium. That's double dipping.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:23 AM
Tom Boblitt

I think they charge commission and premium because they can. And because thousands of catalogs and postage aren't cheap. There are some that don't and there are most that won't if you have big enough consignments. I think that's the key. I think it's a fallacy to say that you won't pay commission ever on a $3K consignment. That's a nice chunk of change for most, but about a 'normal' lot in one of the big auction house auctions. As a general rule, the more you consign, the less you pay. If you have huge, high demand items, you may get some of the buyer's premium as well. Like JC said. Make a list, make it a large group, and shop it around. Don't be afraid to play one against the other. It can't hurt. And, as far as the business, there are LOTS of people looking at every lot in every auction. Some to try to buy to make money. Some to try to buy to build their collection. And tons of other reasons. Sometimes, something slips through. But more and more, those are the exceptions. Good luck!
Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Send emails to auction houses insisting upon hidden reserves and the ability to bid on your own lots. Be told that it's illegal and they won't do it by some of them -- but eventually one will allow you. Pretend you don't know what anyone is talking about when word gets out about it.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:41 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

They all try for commissions, but in this market and with BPs that often exceed 20% of the hammer price there is no need to consign to an AH that will not eliminate it, provided your items are halfway decent.

Your alternative is to retail the items yourself, with the understanding that in addition to the time and effort you will have to put into the endeavor, you will pay about 13% between eBay and PayPal to sell. A private sale is often the best way to avoid transaction costs (especially if you refuse to accept PayPal) provided that you have some idea of what your items are worth and someone wants them at that price point.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-23-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Jay Cee

The landscape for auction houses have changed. Ten years ago it was the norm to see auction house advertise no reserves. Now, it's more acceptable to have a reserve as long as it's disclosed. Just like it's the norm to report cash payments to the IRS, when you are providing a service or selling a good.

Good luck in finding an auction house to use. I don't think you can go wrong with any Net54 advertisers. Most have the same mailing list and will get your consignments out in front of active bidders.

Last edited by BeanTown; 05-23-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:03 AM
je.sse @rnot

I send most of my consignments to pwcc. 4688 - 10% would have netted about 4200 in this situation. Also I would never agree to consign a card to an AH that charges a buyer's premium and a commission.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I send most of my consignments to pwcc. 4688 - 10% would have netted about 4200 in this situation. Also I would never agree to consign a card to an AH that charges a buyer's premium and a commission.
Is PWCC losing some of their luster Jesse? Basically, they are just listing on Ebay, the same as you and I can do. Why not list the item yourself and save the $488?

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 05-23-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:03 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Is PWCC losing some of their luster Jesse? Basically, they are just listing on Ebay, the same as you and I can do. Why not list the item yourself and save the $488?
I would never stick up for PWCC. Saying that I do not understand your post Bobby. PWCC charges 9%. eBay and PayPal fees are around 13% so how could anybody have saved any $? It seems to me the seller would be saving the hassle of listing plus shipping charges plus saving $ on fees.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:30 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I believe that max fee for a card on ebay is $250 (please correct me if I'm wrong). Plus 3% for paypal would be 375 or so in fees, or only 100 bucks less than I would get if I could realize the same price as pwcc. I highly doubt I could, and even if it were possible it would be worth the 100 bucks not to have to deal with people, returns, chargebacks, etc.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:03 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Send emails to auction houses insisting upon hidden reserves and the ability to bid on your own lots. Be told that it's illegal and they won't do it by some of them -- but eventually one will allow you. Pretend you don't know what anyone is talking about when word gets out about it.
Isn't this actually allowed is certain states like Texas?

Last edited by bnorth; 05-23-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:38 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Isn't this actually allowed is certain states like Texas?
To collectors, it's allowed in every state until they get caught.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:48 PM
David Sims

Additionally with AHs and PWCC alike you do not have to worry about shipping issues or returns. Any AH who runs a buyers premium over 12% I would not do business with, unless it is just too good of a deal or the item is a one off.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:22 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecksims View Post
Additionally with AHs and PWCC alike you do not have to worry about shipping issues or returns. Any AH who runs a buyers premium over 12% I would not do business with, unless it is just too good of a deal or the item is a one off.
Who runs an auction with a buyer's premium that low? I can't think of any one of the big boys lower than 15%.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-30-2017, 02:31 PM
Belltown Vintage

Dishonesty is the key to making money through consignments, either on ebay or through major AH's. I haven't seen any evidence that this is changing, despite all the prison sentences.

I have seen several items for sale on a seller's website, then sell for a low price at auction, then show up again on the same seller's website. I would say that they should realize that we aren't fools, but apparently some of us are.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:55 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

A little OT, but does anyone know what the best AH for old sport publications and old baseball books probably is? Uncommon first edition books and ruth magazines from the 20's etc
Old 05-30-2017, 09:14 PM
Scott Russell

Hunt did great with a bunch of Baseball Magazines from 1900-1930 not long ago
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-31-2017, 12:07 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
A little OT, but does anyone know what the best AH for old sport publications and old baseball books probably is? Uncommon first edition books and ruth magazines from the 20's etc
Buying or Selling? Hunt's 'Baseball Magazine' lots went very, very cheap - overall 1/3 - 1/2 of what REA got on a similar grouping 5-6 years ago. The lots were arranged oddly with some major issues getting lost in larger lots. With sports publications I trust REA, Legendary and Heritage, as their descriptions are generally more detailed and accurate than the others.

When buying, I would ask lots of questions if you are unsure;i.e-are all the photos there? any pages missing? Condition? (if not obvious).
Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Still have no idea why a house would charge a commission if they charge a buyer's premium. That's double dipping.
Memory Lane does it....and are getting rich!