NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-02-2013, 08:54 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
I can't figure it out. No one even replied to him. It appears that he was frustrated that people were trying to authenticate the signature? Did someone edit out what set him off?
I think it was more about nobody really listening to what he was saying about how good these guys (forgers) are and they wanted to keep analyzing the "straight lines"
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 05-02-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
I think it was more about nobody really listening to what he was saying about how good these guys (forgers) are and they wanted to keep analyzing the "straight lines"
This is truly hilarious. I take you off ignore (out of morbid curiosity), and what do I find?

I still own you

James - I haven't been buying Babe Ruth forgeries...I mean autographs....for 50 years, I don't work for a TPA and I don't have secrets so deep and meaningful that I can't even tell you why I'm 100% certain of my opinions. Many of the experts in this forum don't even read what I write. So how was it so easy to put you in my back pocket?

Why do you love me so much? I'm unavailable - go away.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I can't figure it out. No one even replied to him. It appears that he was frustrated that people were trying to authenticate the signature? Did someone edit out what set him off?
PM sent. Thanks for warning me yesterday about the dangers of caffeine. I tried to take a day off from visiting this thread, but alas - I have very little self-control, even without said poison.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Delete
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

Last edited by jgmp123; 05-02-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Delete

Last edited by jgmp123; 05-02-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Dude...what in the world are you talking about...Seriously, take your meds and go to bed.

Edit: Seriously....ask Leon about the "ignore" button....you may need to call tech support to get that fixed...
Wow, you're back already?

I thought I felt a lump in my pocket. Goodnight James, and good luck to you and Dean with those photo sales.

Last edited by Runscott; 05-02-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
[/B]

Scott,

The only thing you own is your tiny apartment in downtown Seattle....

Also, I'm 31 and married with 2 children...you're nearly 60....I don't think we'd be a good match
James....you are still doing it. You should spend more time with you family and less on internet 'research'

Okay, back on 'ignore' - you are starting to creep me out.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:36 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Delete

Last edited by jgmp123; 05-02-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: delete
Old 05-02-2013, 09:37 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Delete

Last edited by jgmp123; 05-02-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default My Reponses...

I apologize to everyone that has to read this crap....

I took the bait and I apologize for that. The last thing I want to do is turn this site into a sideshow...

Scott,

If you have a problem with me, send me a PM. We can handle it there.

Last edited by jgmp123; 05-02-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:21 PM

I finally read through this entire thread.

I wholeheartedly believe the consignor to be full of shit.

I also believe the autograph to be a forgery.

This autograph on the ticket looks nothing alike the exemplars and there are three key differences my untrained eye spotted.

S34N B4551K
Old 05-03-2013, 06:09 AM
Jim M.arinari

Default Time for a reality check

Not for the thin-skinned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEJ7l...tailpage#t=43s

Last edited by Deertick; 05-03-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Dan Bretta

What'd I tell you Shelly...this thread is going to break the record
Old 05-03-2013, 07:38 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
awesome

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 05-03-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
awesome
+1 Love it!!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Just 400 more to go, Then I will start the old one back up.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Just 400 more to go, Then I will start the old one back up.
There was another thread that branched off from this one that had numerous posts as well, but was still discussing this Ruth ticket...be careful or I'll merge them.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:49 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

The future does not hold much without Jim Stinson. Congratulations to the few, meandering rubes who couldn't get heir heads out of their behinds and ran off one of the greatest contributors to this hobby.

And.R.ew Mi.ll.e&r
Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nohitter View Post
The future does not hold much without Jim Stinson. Congratulations to the few, meandering rubes who couldn't get heir heads out of their behinds and ran off one of the greatest contributors to this hobby.

And.R.ew Mi.ll.e&r
Couldn't agree more. This forum suddenly got far less important.

Ken
Old 05-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

opening up new thread. Your fault Dan

Last edited by shelly; 05-03-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Couldn't agree more. This forum suddenly got far less important.

Ken
Ken, it's just as important or unimportant as it always was. There are always going to be people who would like to see a forum laid out like a publishable book, with themselves and those they respect, as the authors, and the contributors (lesser people such as myself) following rules written in stone.

That's not what a discussion forum is. You have to take the good (expert participation, fun discussions, passionate hobbyists) along with the bad (petty feuds, people on pedestals, violent disagreements).

Or you go write a book and invite Jim and anyone else you respect, to co-author. In any case, Jim will be fine and I'm sure we'll see him around soon enough.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Ken, it's just as important or unimportant as it always was. There are always going to be people who would like to see a forum laid out like a publishable book, with themselves and those they respect, as the authors, and the contributors (lesser people such as myself) following rules written in stone.

That's not what a discussion forum is. You have to take the good (expert participation, fun discussions, passionate hobbyists) along with the bad (petty feuds, people on pedestals, violent disagreements).

Or you go write a book and invite Jim and anyone else you respect, to co-author. In any case, Jim will be fine and I'm sure we'll see him around soon enough.
Well, Scott, since you seem to know everything, I guess it's a good thing you're still here.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:18 AM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

Here's the a comparison of the 700 ticket next to a similar looking signature that comes from an extremely reliable source -- one of the few that I trust. I don't know if the open "a" and the hooked "h" really matter, but they are in both signatures. Also, can someone explain the "backwards a" to me. I don't see that at all. To my eye, the "a" starts exactly as you would expect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth-Auction.jpg (36.1 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg Who's Who photo page signed; Kevin Keating.jpg (18.9 KB, 308 views)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Dan Bretta

I don't see the "a" as being written backwards either...looks like the pen was running low on ink when the signature was written.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 AM
Dave Millhouse
Banned

It is not written backward and that is a ridiculous assertion.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss View Post
Here's the a comparison of the 700 ticket next to a similar looking signature that comes from an extremely reliable source -- one of the few that I trust. I don't know if the open "a" and the hooked "h" really matter, but they are in both signatures. Also, can someone explain the "backwards a" to me. I don't see that at all. To my eye, the "a" starts exactly as you would expect.
Not even close.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:

I don't think Jim will be back, we spoke yesterday.
Many years ago, he swore off going to shows. I will give someone $100 if they have a photo of Jim at a show in the last 10 years.
But if you buy him a few beers, you never know what might happen .
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 05-04-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I don't think Jim will be back, we spoke yesterday.
Many years ago, he swore off going to shows. I will give someone $100 if they have a photo of Jim at a show in the last 10 years.
But if you buy him a few beers, you never know what might happen .
That sucks... I'm very sorry to hear this.

Everyone loses in this deal.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Not even close.
Chris,

First, let me say how sorry I was to hear about the loss in your family. I hope with time that peace and happiness fully replace the sadness and grief that you are feeling now.

As a complete autograph novice, I continue to be confused by these recent Ruth threads. I have looked at all the HOS articles related to Ruth's autograph (as well as net54 threads) and even in those cases where the examples are thought by most to be authentic (legal documents, checks, some balls and photos with invariant and tractable provenance) I can still see clear differences in letter formation and size, slant, pressure, flow and spacing. I assume these are, in part, the result of how Ruth signed (rushed or careful), how the item signed was stabilized, the time window in Ruth's career when the signing occurred, pen or pencil, etc. Even when I look back on my own signature over the last 30 years or so I see huge variations not only over the entire span but even within the same year.

So my question is how can anyone be confident (based on the characteristics of the signature only) that a Ruth autograph (as an example) is authentic? I find it very hard to believe that whatever the characteristic or combination of characteristics thought to define an authentic Ruth auto would not break down the more 100% authentic Ruth autos that are examined. This combined with what Jim S. had posted about the remarkable ability of the master forgers that have invaded the Hobby underscores my question.

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Not even close.
Can you expand upon that?
Old 05-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I think before anyone say's not a chance it is written backwards. You might take a look through a Jewelers loop or high mang scope. We have a scientist on here he can take a look.

Last edited by shelly; 05-04-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:30 PM

If you look at the image with a jeweler's loupe, you'll see pixels.
Information can only be gleaned by looking at the actual item under magnification.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Dan McCarthy

I don't understand the backwards A either. Is it whole "abe" supposed to be backward or just the A?
Old 05-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Tha a in babe.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Scott R.

This may be a silly question...but what indication is there that the "a" is written backwards?
Old 05-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsiders View Post
This may be a silly question...but what indication is there that the "a" is written backwards?
Assuming it is now about where the "oval" part(for lack of a better term) and the tail intersect and cross over one another. One would cross over the other depending on which direction one was signing thus the need for a loupe(would be different). As David pointed out, we couldn't do that here nor could anyone else unless they had it in hand. If a letter was written backwards, it would be a good indication that it was bad. I did, however, write my name as Neb when I was a young child. Babe did drink a lot and was pretty immature so who knows... also, mabe it was Ruth who signed the Eddie Gaedel??? Hey.. just thinking out of the box!

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-04-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm no expert, but all of the letters look different in both signatures.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

Quote:
Not even close.
Thanks Chris. Do you think the second exemplar is "not even close" to authentic, or just not a good comparison to the first exemplar (700 ticket)? What do others think?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Well, Scott, since you seem to know everything, I guess it's a good thing you're still here.
This post is a perfect example of what I was trying to say - I didn't respond the way you wanted me to, so my reward is a snide remark.

Good luck with your book.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
This post is a perfect example of what I was trying to say - I didn't respond the way you wanted me to, so my reward is a snide remark.

Good luck with your book.
Perhaps I should re-read all your posts. I'm sure there's never a snide remark to be found. Or are you the only one allowed to be an ass?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks Chris. Do you think the second exemplar is "not even close" to authentic, or just not a good comparison to the first exemplar (700 ticket)? What do others think?

good luck getting an answer.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

Here's another extremely credible example of the Babe with the open "a" and the hooked "h". What do folks think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Possible forgery - Hall of Shame analysis.jpg (32.3 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg ex1.jpg (14.1 KB, 250 views)
Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 PM

The "open a" and "hooked t" are meaningless. There are scores of authentic examples with one or both of those characteristics.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

I agree, David.

Here's an 'open a' Ruth. It is certified by JSA, NOT by PSA, and it's up in REA - lot 923. (no gotcha, so don't even mention that favorite Net54 catch-phrase)

What's your opinion, David?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
The "open a" and "hooked t" are meaningless. There are scores of authentic examples with one or both of those characteristics.
I believe you are correct David. What I am trying figure out is whether we are correct -- not regarding the 700 ticket, but in general, regarding Ruth opinions. In other wors, if Chris had posted one of those REA Ruth's that has been pulled, or one of Nash's exemplars in his analysys of Ruth forgeries, and he used the same m.o. as he did with the ticket, would we have also disagreed in that case? We would have been wrong; and some of those look pretty good too. I wonder how the board would have responded.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Perhaps I should re-read all your posts. I'm sure there's never a snide remark to be found. Or are you the only one allowed to be an ass?
As you already know, you don't have to ask my permission to act like an ass.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 AM

Just came across these photos that I meant to post back when this thread was going strong. Game used baseball from the game in question -- Ruth's 700th home run game.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Navin 1.jpg (73.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Navin 2.jpg (74.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg navindate.jpg (73.4 KB, 132 views)
Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
Just came across these photos that I meant to post back when this thread was going strong. Game used baseball from the game in question -- Ruth's 700th home run game.

Greg
Ok...