NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-07-2020, 05:09 PM

Default The careful wording of card companies game used memorabilia...

Hi all,

I recentlly aquired this card with a swatch of jersey and button from Joe Mauer. My question, is that with such vague wording that companies use with memorabilia cards, is how would you interpret the statement on this card? It reads,

"Congratulations. You have received a trading card with Joe Mauer Game-Used baseball memorabilia. The memorbilia has been certified to us as having been used in an offical Major League Baseball game."

By saying that the card contains "Joe Mauer Game-Used baseball memorabilia" makes me more inclined that it was from a jersey worn by Mauer, rather than if it were to say it is just game-used memorabilia on the front. I've added a picture of the back of another card from the same set to illustrate my point about plain "game-used" and no player name attached to the staetment.

I know that the authenticity of these pieces is already controversial but if Upper Deck is telling me the relic is that of Joe Mauer, I feel better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (72.7 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-1.jpg (70.2 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (66.0 KB, 268 views)

Last edited by AstroJake09; 02-07-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:20 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Thats legalese for "someone told us this is a real game used jersey but we don't actually believe them enough to guarantee it"

I have a few relic cards that came in lots that I bought, but I don't actively collect them nor do I trust them. How could you ever prove thats a Mauer jersey, let alone a GU jersey based on hearsay?

If you want actual Mauer GU, buy MLB authenticated stuff. I imagine a baseball tied to him can be found for a reasonable price..
Old 02-08-2020, 08:34 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ŘΝ

I'm not sure how you could ever feel comfortable with those cards when you can even see a pic of what they cut up. Mauer is a perfect example. There was someone making a ton of bogus Mauer game used jerseys in his first few years in the Majors. The team had blank jerseys they could customize as rosters changed over the course of the season. Someone took several of these and customized them with Mauer's name and number. The tagging on these jerseys were wrong for guys on the roster at the beginning of the season. Even the size was wrong. You would see Mauer "gamers" in 48, 50, and 52 for the same reason (all with wrong tagging of course). But they went to auction houses and their "experts" issue a COAs. Good enough for plenty of people, especially if you're a card company picking up whatever is needed for a card set. Who's going to question you? Would would ever know? Like I said, you can't even see what they cut up.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 02-09-2020, 02:17 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

"official game" could also mean spring training or an exhibition game....

Also the verbiage on the Mauer card could be boilerplate for him if he had several pieces in the set - bat, glove, pants etc...that way they could use same wording for card back...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:44 PM
Chuck Tapia

Official JC Penny button...Enjoy it!
Old 02-09-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
"official game" could also mean spring training or an exhibition game....

Also the verbiage on the Mauer card could be boilerplate for him if he had several pieces in the set - bat, glove, pants etc...that way they could use same wording for card back...
In looking at this set, I see that most players have a button version, jersey, and signed jersey, I see why they put that. As I can now see many feel strongly that this is not real, I'm going to be optimistic however. Due to that verbage, do you believe they are saying that the memorbilia is of Joe Mauer and not a random player. Yes, I know there is a chance that companies do this any way but I am strictly asking about the wording on the card.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2020, 04:33 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Panini is worse: "The enclosed game worn material is guaranteed by Panini America, inc." Guaranteed to be what, exactly? It never mentions the player by name. At least the UD cards name the player. I saw that and decided not to buy any Panini allegedly GU products.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-09-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Panini is worse: "The enclosed game worn material is guaranteed by Panini America, inc." Guaranteed to be what, exactly? It never mentions the player by name. At least the UD cards name the player. I saw that and decided not to buy any Panini allegedly GU products.
I have noticed that too. They have some neat cards of Peyton Manning but with their wording, I only look and keep going. I took a chance on the Mauer because it specifically mentioned him by name and you don't ever see cards of his that feature a button. The card looks neat but the more I thought, I wanted to see what everyone on here though. Thank you for your opinions so far, they are appreciated!
Old 02-09-2020, 05:55 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJake09 View Post
In looking at this set, I see that most players have a button version, jersey, and signed jersey, I see why they put that. As I can now see many feel strongly that this is not real, I'm going to be optimistic however. Due to that verbage, do you believe they are saying that the memorbilia is of Joe Mauer and not a random player. Yes, I know there is a chance that companies do this any way but I am strictly asking about the wording on the card.

Thanks
More than likely it is from Joe Mauer but at what game you'll never know... If Panini ever fakes this stuff that would be bad news for them and collectors...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:08 AM

In general, you can't even trust any jersey cards, especially any before the Bradley Wells story:
https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i...icle-1.1159317

The game used ones you can really trust (for baseball) are the certified ones, but even then they are not so nice to look at because they have the hologram on them.
For example, it looks like this:
https://www.topps.com/on-card-auto-r...card-690f.html

The cool part is that the label has a number that you can look up, to find which game it was from.