NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Al Richter

I know this is getting in beating a dead horse territory, but I have a Q on the 69 Perry. I think I have 6 of the 8 known possibles, but my Q for the print experts is how did it occur that both the YN and WN versions have have all 3 variants ( blue line front and partial or major distortion of number on back) ?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I know this is getting in beating a dead horse territory, but I have a Q on the 69 Perry. I think I have 6 of the 8 known possibles, but my Q for the print experts is how did it occur that both the YN and WN versions have have all 3 variants ( blue line front and partial or major distortion of number on back) ?
Check out what Steve said in post #882.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Al Richter

I did see that and can understand the 3 different backs showing up on both the YN and WN, but seems weird both would also have the blue streak front.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:58 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I imagine the actual layout of the Perry card was unchanged (and perhaps the two versions, with and without the blue streak, simply appeared in different places on the print sheet) between the white letter and yellow letter versions, because the absence of a color wasn't caused by editing the physical layout of the cards. Or it's possible the Perry cards were exactly the same in layout, but something occurred during the the printing of the cyan layer and the blue splotch appeared?

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 11-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Patrick N.

Default 2 more

2 more, how would you describe these variants? I've looked at a lot of vintage cards but have never seen anything like the Fregosi... The other '61 has a "streak" what do you call that? Those I think are much more common.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z2.jpg (78.5 KB, 301 views)
Old 11-16-2017, 09:12 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

That Fregosi has a Jay Johnstone wet sheet transfer on it...or the two cards were once stuck together and ripped apart??

Casey Stengel

Old 11-17-2017, 12:31 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I imagine the actual layout of the Perry card was unchanged (and perhaps the two versions, with and without the blue streak, simply appeared in different places on the print sheet) between the white letter and yellow letter versions, because the absence of a color wasn't caused by editing the physical layout of the cards. Or it's possible the Perry cards were exactly the same in layout, but something occurred during the the printing of the cyan layer and the blue splotch appeared?
The latter is probably very close.

69 Topps had a fairly complex layout, with different a and B sheets, and some doubleprints. (actually double prints and triple prints, a fine distinction)
So some cards have 3 positions, and most have 2.

Each color should be taken on its own, so the WN/YN is a change in the Yellow, but the Blue mark is a change to Cyan*.

So one of the positions could have had a fault in the Cyan layer, that they didn't fix. When they fixed the Yellow layer the new set of plates would have the fixed yellow, but still have one position with the unrepaired Cyan.
At the craziest not likely, but possible - A first set of plates gets made with a good cyan layer but a bad yellow layer. The cyan mask gets damaged, and later the yellow layer is fixed and new plates are made. Still later the blue is fixed, and the yellow is still fixed, resulting in three versions, two of which are very hard to tell apart. (Or mix in a hand done fix for the blue mark, which would be a pretty rare thing)

Think that can't happen? I just went through the 49 leaf set, and found three -four major changes, plus transitional cards. And that's just in a month or so of looking seriously for the different varieties on Ebay.

*It can also be a change in any or all the other colors, I'd have to see a high res scan or have one in hand to be sure. That would indicate a problem on the pasteup that got fixed.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:07 PM
Al Richter

Thanks for input Steve. Would you classify the WN v YN cards print defects or variations ? Same Q for 58 Y v Ws. I guess it would depend in part on what definition of a variation is assumed
Old 11-17-2017, 06:56 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
That Fregosi has a Jay Johnstone wet sheet transfer on it...or the two cards were once stuck together and ripped apart??
My guess is that they were once stuck together. Does not seem likely that a wet sheet transfer could have occurred as these 2 cards were not part of the same series.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Bi11..R0berts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
My guess is that they were once stuck together. Does not seem likely that a wet sheet transfer could have occurred as these 2 cards were not part of the same series.
Agreed, that is not a wet sheet transfer. Has to be cards stuck together due to moisture during storage through the years.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 11-18-2017, 05:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Thanks for input Steve. Would you classify the WN v YN cards print defects or variations ? Same Q for 58 Y v Ws. I guess it would depend in part on what definition of a variation is assumed
I'd call those variations. And to me they're closer to what most people would call variations than a lot of what I keep as variations.

For the Y/Ws it's pretty clear that the yellow layer was set up wrong, and corrected. I suppose some could stretch that to say that setting the plate up wrong is a print error, but I think that runs afoul of stuff that's even more clear like the 79 Bump Wills.

My definition of a variation is really a loose one. I count anything that appears to be caused by a difference on the plate, or a clear difference in the cardstock or ink. Most of those differences are probably unintentional, I can't imagine the UV reactive backs on late 80's early 90's Topps were intentional.
Considering the range of stuff I'll set aside as "different" trying to determine intent is a rabbit hole I just don't choose to go down.

I do also save stuff that's obviously related to some production issue, either in printing, cutting packing, or even in the manufacture of the cardstock. I've got a card that has what I'd call a massive inclusion, something manufactured into the cardstock that's about half as big as a watermelon seed.

So
Registration problems
fisheyes
Inking problems
cardboard flaws
Die cut on the wrong end, or with the wrong pattern
All those go in the printing mistakes box

Cutting guidelines
Different screening
Die cuts that shouldn't have been obvious(88 score)
Different holograms
Marks from scratches on the plate
Consistent stray marks (not caused by ink spatter)
Printed on a different sort of cardstock (mostly 69 and 70 Topps)
All those go in the main set as variations.

A few can be hard to decide, like if one color foil should have been used but a different color was. Technically an error, so I'd file it there. Which may seem to contradict the placing different holograms as variations, but the different holograms were often a difference between series. (Like one hockey year where the main set has one hologram, but the update set was packed with low # cards and all of them had the next years hologram)

And yes, it's about as confusing as it can be. That's one of the reasons I don't get worked up about the variation/not a variation question.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Al Richter

Thanks as always for your input Steve. My definition is more narrow but as you know I collect recurring print oddities whatever they are, and agree the 69s and 58s could involve intentional changes in the printing process either way.

Not sure if we did this one. The one on the bottom left is pretty tough. The slight differences on this one remind me of those on the font of the 55 Sullivan (106) and 56 Pepper ( 103), and the back of the 56 Schmidt (322)

Old 11-22-2017, 04:49 PM
Larry More.y

Here is another example of a variant, that has slight differences, that could be considered a progressive variant like Al's 55 Elliot card. With the 1972 Topps 534 Hickman card, the known variation is the example with no green on the team name. In looking, I found a few examples that have just a very light green instead of only the yellow.

What I find interesting is that no other cards (at least none that are known) from this series have a similar color variation to them. Not sure what caused this progressive variation to occur(on this card only), but my guess is Steve would be able to help explain the cause.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 72 534 full.jpg (75.0 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg 72 534 partial.jpg (73.8 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg 72 534 all yel.jpg (77.3 KB, 306 views)
Old 11-22-2017, 05:44 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Some people call the #607 Frank Duffy card a variation due to the coloring differences in the shadowy areas of the team name, relatively similar to the Hickman you illustrated above. What I found was on the print sheet there were multiple Duffy cards represented, and one of them had the much lighter shadowing on it--although all the other coloring and all of the other cards looked perfectly fine. So it seems to have been an 'error' in the actual layout of the cards and not some freakish anomaly in the printing process. I'm wondering if the Hickman variation was created in the same manner.

Casey Stengel

Old 11-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Al Richter

Acouple of defects similar to the one Patrick posted of Lee Maye

Old 12-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Larry More.y

This print variation, caused by a color shift, is the Yankee logo on the cap appearing green instead of white. I could only find this copy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (74.3 KB, 256 views)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:05 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

That's an interesting one; the red and black passes are registered, but the blue and yellow (make green!) passes are both mis-registered to the right the same amount.

Actually gives it a pretty cool 3-D affect to the face.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 12-03-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:23 AM

More fun with colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1955 #200 Littlefield (4).jpg (80.9 KB, 237 views)
Old 12-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Al Richter

Thomas-- now you need one showing him as right hander
Old 12-04-2017, 09:35 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The 1969 Gaylord Perry train keeps a rollin'...I think. At least it's possible it does.

In looking at some more Perry cards (not mine), I noticed some have a thin bolt of electricity emanating from his hat into the sky. You can see it pretty clearly to the right of the SF logo on the card to the left. So I started looking to see if all of the back number variations we were talking about come with and without this anomaly on front.

1969perryantenna485.jpg

The card on the right doesn't have this bolt, but...it may in fact actually be there, only not as electrified, and perhaps just a dull bluish line that blends into the sky?? I'm not sure. So I say check your Perry cards again and see if it appears. (The versions posted earlier in this thread seem to have something there.) If there's clearly no lightning bolt there, please post a scan/pic of it.

Casey Stengel

Old 12-05-2017, 06:59 AM
Al Richter

This shows how far the sickness can go. Now we are looking for cards with nothing there.

If the bolt exits in different forms, or exists on some cards but not others, and exists in both yellow and white, and on each kind of back, how many versions are possible

I have 7 of the 8 I thought I was looking for, now have to check them for bolts

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 12-05-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Thomas-- now you need one showing him as right hander
I am gullible but wonder if there IS a right-handed version out there, which I doubt.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliphorn View Post
I am gullible but wonder if there IS a right-handed version out there, which I doubt.
Unlike the 55 Bowman Littlefield card, the 82 Fleer Littlefield card offers the opportunity to collect both a right and left handed version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82 F.jpg (74.2 KB, 264 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Al Richter

Sorry Thomas, bad joke reference to this one...Opps, Larry beat me to it

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 12-06-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Howie Schenker

Here are 3 versions of 1974 Topps Fergie Jenkins #87. The left (top sky lines) and center cards (left side blue "snow") are recurring and the right card is the common.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Patrick N.

Default 75

Hi, guys. Enjoy the thread. Any ideas on this Robin Yount and what variant you would call it? Thinking just missing ink, right? Have you seen other '75s like this or '75 Younts? sHoping your answer is "sun fading" but methinks the one area of orange makes it not the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yount.jpg (78.0 KB, 226 views)
Old 12-18-2017, 06:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Hi, guys. Enjoy the thread. Any ideas on this Robin Yount and what variant you would call it? Thinking just missing ink, right? Have you seen other '75s like this or '75 Younts? sHoping your answer is "sun fading" but methinks the one area of orange makes it not the case.
If I had to guess, I'd say that card was in the sun for a long time, and that curved rectangular area was due to a price sticker being affixed to the holder it was in.

Casey Stengel

Last edited by JollyElm; 12-18-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:12 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
If I had to guess, I'd say that card was in the sun for a long time, and that curved rectangular area was due to a price sticker being affixed to the holder it was in.
Yep, sun fading with a price sticker over it. Not a variation, just damaged.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:43 AM
Al Richter

There is a recurring print defect or variance of this card. Copies posted on page 1 of this this thread.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Steve Birmingham

Of course, for 75's there's this one.

No sign of fading anywhere but the photo area. And pulled from a commons box, so if it was selectively faded, that's a bit of work for maybe 10 cents.

There must be more of them, I just haven't seen any.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:13 PM

I had never seen the Mazzilli or the Revering before but I knew they had to exist because they were next to the Niekro and the Clark on the 1980 D*uncut sheet. I found both of them recently on eBay. I can't remember if the Jones and the Vail from the 1980 B* uncut sheet have been mentioned here before, but it has the same flaw as the Niekro-Mazzilli.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80 Niekro-Mazzilli.jpg (78.7 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg 80 Clark-Revering.jpg (79.7 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg 80 Jones-Vail.jpg (78.6 KB, 269 views)
Old 12-20-2017, 09:42 PM
Patrick N.

Default Yount

Thanks for the responses on the Yount, I think you are dead on. But what about these two? The Butkus has a dark strip near bottom, so not a sticker/sun fade issue on this? Missing ink? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Butkus.jpg (78.0 KB, 269 views)
Old 12-20-2017, 10:04 PM

Same as the Yount, sitting in a sports card store glass display case faded by sunlight. They both have the rectangle in the upper right corner where the price tag protected the small area from sunlight fading. Apparently both cards had the bottom edge covered by another card or something else that shielded the sunlight.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 PM
Greg C

Default print variations

Lil some for ya

[br]

[br]

[br]

[br]
Old 01-03-2018, 07:53 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post
Lil some for ya

Is the Murray handcut?
Old 01-03-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Is the Murray handcut?
All of the 1979 Topps baseball with 1978 backs were either handcut or or more professionally cut by a third party well after 1979. They were only made as a practice run in 1979 with left over 1978 backs and were never meant to be distributed but some of the sheets made it out the backdoor.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Larry More.y

Thank you Cliff, as always, spot on input.

Besides the 73 Topps with the wacky backs, how many other Topps issues from the 70s-90s can be found with a different issue on the back due to scraps getting out the back door? I have one of the 91 Topps cards with a baseball front and a FB back, but was not sure what other years may have something like this.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:11 PM
Steve Birmingham

I forget which year, but there were baseball backs with non-sticker mork and mindy sticker fronts.

There were also 78 baseball backs inside bazooka boxes
and black hole card backs inside bazooka boxes.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I forget which year, but there were baseball backs with non-sticker mork and mindy sticker fronts.
They were also 1978.

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 01-03-2018 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-05-2018, 07:02 AM
Steve Birmingham

Thanks Cliff.

I have one or two, but I was too lazy to go find them.

The 79front/78 backs were originally sold by a dealer I think from the Baltimore area, in strips. What I heard was that they knew where Topps printer dumped trash, and had a bit of a find one day being there at the same time as the truck that had Topps stuff.
I have a strip I ordered back then, not sure where it is but I know I didn't cut it. It got a bit squashed in shipping, put me off mailorder for a few years.

Topps must have had a ton of leftover 78back only sheets.

Steve B
Old 01-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Larry More.y

Found this limited, but recurring print variant on the 69 455 Siebert card. Above the first "I" in Indians there is what appears to be a pen mark, but it is indeed a recurring mark. This is another variant that looks much more obvious in hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69 455 B.jpg (77.4 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg 69 455.jpg (79.5 KB, 238 views)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:07 AM
Al Richter

Default 67 Siebert

Larry---had not seen that one. I do have the one with a blue line to right of the bill of his cap, one with a broken spot in that same "I", and one with a reddish brown color between his legs. Isakur has the first two of those up on ebay now
Old 01-10-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Larry---had not seen that one. I do have the one with a blue line to right of the bill of his cap, one with a broken spot in that same "I", and one with a reddish brown color between his legs. Isakur has the first two of those up on ebay now
Different year, that one is the 1967 . Same photo, though.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:23 PM
Al Richter

My Bad

Even worse, in checking my set I have that one. I need a "normal" one

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-10-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:23 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
Different year, that one is the 1967 . Same photo, though.
I thought I was losing my mind looking at other 69s looking for these other variations, being a 67 explains why I was not finding them?!?!
Old 01-10-2018, 06:10 PM
Al Richter

I would like to say I was just being devious rather than stupid....but
Old 01-15-2018, 09:59 AM

Default 1957 #75 Piersall

I noticed on two of my versions of this card that there is a little red line to the left side from his right ear down to the left margin. Obviously it is recurring and common to find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957 #075 Piersall (4).jpg (78.0 KB, 192 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Al Richter

Also have one with red dot to to left and below ear

Old 01-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Al Richter

Red at bottom ?

Old 01-16-2018, 05:50 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

That's probably just a misaligned sheet going to the magenta plate.