NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-29-2011, 12:27 PM

Default Memorial Day:fallen soldiers(players)

Memorial Day is upon us to honor those who died in service of our country including those who used to play in the Major Leagues.

May God be with all.

One player was Connie Ryan who served in the arm services and who died in 1996. I dont have his card.

Anyone can show a card of our of our fallen heroes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img456.jpg (77.3 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg img454.jpg (75.8 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg img455.jpg (78.7 KB, 206 views)
Old 05-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Michey Cochrane, severed in US Navy during WWII.
Died 1962
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img276.jpg (78.0 KB, 188 views)
Old 05-29-2011, 02:32 PM

Ty Cobb with the Matty was in US Army, GAS DIVISION
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img342.jpg (75.1 KB, 184 views)
Old 05-29-2011, 02:49 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Besides being a baseball memorabilia collector, I am also am very interested in military history. For a year I have been writing a blog where I illustrate and write a story about ballplayers who are overlooked by history or are otherwise interesting. Sometimes I get to tie my two interests together, like writing about the death of "Harvard Eddie" Grant, killed while leading a battalion in relief of the infamous "Lost Battalion." As I'm sure most of you guys know, Grant was the former 3rd Baseman of the Phillies, Reds and N.Y. Giants and was a very popular character with the NY sportswriters before the war. He was the only major league player killed in WWI and I thought Memorial day would be a great opportunity to remember his sacrifice as well as the strange history of his stolen memorial plaque that once stood in the Polo Grounds and where John McGraw led a solomn ceremony every year to mark his friend's sacrifice. The story is too long to post here, but if you are interested, please go to my site at:
www.infinitecardset.blogspot.com
Direct Link to Story:
http://infinitecardset.blogspot.com/...orial-day.html

Last edited by jerseygary; 05-30-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added direct link
Old 05-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Ben H*ds@n

First and most importantly, thank you to everyone who has served our country.

One of my favorite players from the 1930's-40's is Cecil Travis who suffered frostbite at the Battle of the Bulge and returned from service in World War II with a Bronze Star and three Battle Stars.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Cecil_Travis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3155.jpg (74.0 KB, 152 views)
Old 05-29-2011, 07:01 PM

Default Thanks to all who made the ultimate sacrafice to keep us free

Thanks to all of the men and women in the history of our country who have died keeping us free so that folks like us can enjoy our families, freedoms, and hobbies. Rest in Peace.

Matty qualifies even though he wasn't killed in action. While he was in the Army getting ready to serve in WWI, he was accidently poisoned during a training exercise by gas which led to his death just a few years later. The strange thing was that Cobb was in that training exercise as well but wasn't affected by the gas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScannedImage-23.jpg (72.0 KB, 132 views)
Old 05-29-2011, 07:27 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I would think that Matty's death does qualify as giving his life for his country. The story I read was that Cobb and Matty were indeed part of the same training exercise, but Matty didn't put his mask on quick enough and unfortunately got a snootful of gas. He told Cobb this after the exercise was over. A terrible shame and needless accident.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:07 AM

Memorial Day has now passed for this year. Though as one person, I can never be appreciative enough, I want to thank all men and women who gave their lives for our country. May God comfort those families who gave their children for what we now enjoy.

In all respect.

Frank
Old 05-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Ben L

jerseygary - I too am interested in military history and collect old military items as well as vintage baseball. Here is one group that fits into both categories- A 1944 Army program featuring Joe DiMaggio along with candid photos of the Yankee Clipper.

I've also posted photos of a grouping that is not sports related but hope its okay as reminder of the sacrifice many have made for this country. Shown are the Purple Heart and accompanying documents awarded to Lockwood Darling who served in the Army Air Force and was killed in action when his plane crashed during a bombing mission on the outskirts of Berlin. Thank you to all who have served!