NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Banned

Default Question for the Chicago folks

With the National just a few months away, , can anyone in the Chicago area provide a quick review of the Embassy Suites O'Hare/Rosemont (the one across the street from the convention center)?

I've heard a couple comments that it's a bit run down and hasn't been updated in some time. I've always had good success with Embassy Suites, so that surprised me a bit.

Any thoughts from anyone who knows?

Thanks.

Last edited by Rob D.; 05-17-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:31 PM
David McDonald

I stayed there during 2008 National. Wouldn't say it was run down at all. It was modern, clean and quiet and was perfectly fine by me.

Last edited by Kawika; 05-17-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Well now I know where not to stay if Rob D is there...
Old 05-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Well now I know where not to stay if Rob D is there...
"Come for the cards, stay for the fajitas."
Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Jeff

Rob,
No issues as I recall.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 PM
Daryl

I'm curious about this too, since it's where me and my buddy are staying. We stayed at Embassy Suites last year for the Baltimore National. We had to take the Light Rail in, but it was well worth it for the price and to have a suite.

colachug.gifcolachug.gifcolachug.gif

Last edited by 4815162342; 05-17-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: add in some coca-cola
Old 05-17-2011, 05:19 PM

Do the Embassy Suites still do the 5-7 all you can drink free happy hour? If so, who cares what the rest of the hotel looks like!

Back when I spent a lot of time in CHI, I would stay at the Sofitel if I got stuck at O'Hare or had an early morning flight out, but that was on the company dime. Some good times have been had there!

Hope all is well,
Bob
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM

Rob,

I'm very honored you're using this:

Old 05-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Default embassy suites

I stayed at this hotel in 2003, and thought it was just fine. If you are only there for the show, then this is a good choice as there is not a damn thing to do in this area other than to walk across the street to the card show. If the wife is coming, she probably will not be happy stuck there. Go to the happy hour and get happy and stagger back to the show, just don't make too many deals as you might regret it later.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:35 AM
Rich Klein

Default I loved the buffet breakfasts there

Rich
Old 05-18-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecRich View Post
I stayed at this hotel in 2003, and thought it was just fine. If you are only there for the show, then this is a good choice as there is not a damn thing to do in this area other than to walk across the street to the card show. If the wife is coming, she probably will not be happy stuck there. Go to the happy hour and get happy and stagger back to the show, just don't make too many deals as you might regret it later.
What do you mean nothing to do ? There's plenty to do in Chicago.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
"Come for the cards, stay for the fajitas."
who said that, Chaucer?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:43 AM

I think I've stayed at every one of those hotels near the convention center at some point. They're all among my favorites for overall comfort. The free breakfasts at the Embassy are an added bonus (the breakfasts at the others are not complimentary and can be pricey). Watch out for the trail of tears skyway, though!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Tony Gordon

"Trail of Tears Skyway" -- I love it! I often find people lost in there. I've always wondered how a walk across the street can take so long and be sooo tiring.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
"Trail of Tears Skyway" -- I love it! I often find people lost in there. I've always wondered how a walk across the street can take so long and be sooo tiring.
What is this?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Tony Gordon

It's a walkway from the parking lot and/or I believe Embassy Suites that goes over River Road and winds its way into the convention center.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
It's a walkway from the parking lot and/or I believe Embassy Suites that goes over River Road and winds its way into the convention center.
...and a working example of the "greenhouse effect."

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Tom Boblitt

Saw Wilt Chamberlain walking down that way once. And no, he didn't have a naked woman with him. I think we're (HRBAKER, et al) at the Hampton Inn around the corner. The Embassy there is okay. I got the Hyatt once on a Priceline.com for $40.00. That was sweet. Not the National though..........
Old 05-19-2011, 08:04 AM

I guess I better book the hotel soon. It's only a little more than 2 months away.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:16 PM

I booked my hotel for the Convention last night since I didn't want to wait until the last minute and end up a great distance from the show. When I attempted to book a room through the National Convention website it kept coming up "no rooms available" for several that were suggested so I went to the Hilton website and using my AAA discount card got a nice room at the Rosemont Hilton (used to to be the Sofitel). This is one of the hotels which is connected by the Skyway. I stayed there about 4 years ago when the show was in Chicago and it was a nice hotel, since then Hilton has bought it and refurbished it. The price was reasonable and I recommend it to anyone looking for a hotel near the show.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Michael S

Well I am not answering the original question from Rob but I stay at the La Quinta up the road a bit because its free for me and then take the train right to the door. Works for me.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Rich Klein

Default Wilt was always a favorite of mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by autograf View Post
Saw Wilt Chamberlain walking down that way once. And no, he didn't have a naked woman with him. I think we're (HRBAKER, et al) at the Hampton Inn around the corner. The Embassy there is okay. I got the Hyatt once on a Priceline.com for $40.00. That was sweet. Not the National though..........
I've think I've told this story before -- but I love it because it's a chance to name drop

When I was doing the US Tennis Open as a statistician in the 1980's -- Wilt always attended because he loved watching women's tennis (no jokes please)

One day, I was doing stats on what was then court 3 and there was supposed to be a guard there to make sure the press people could have their own place. The guard never showed up and we didn't have many people in the press area -- and while I was trying to keep the stats on the match, I also had to act as the security guard.

Wilt saw what was occuring and after about 5 minutes I had the tallest security guard in the buisness helping to keep order in the press area. During the breaks we would have nice conversations as well about tennis. BTW -- Wilt each year was given a CBS televsion badge.

It really was an enjoyable afternoon and I gained a ton of respect for him because he made sure that *I" could do my job

Rich