NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-05-2010, 04:28 PM

Default Sharpie vs Ballpoint Pen, Which is better?

I always thought a ball point pen fades and bleeds less (slower) than a Sharpie. I am in an internet argument on this topic.

What do you think?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:35 PM

I guess it depends on what a person likes. I would never get a ball signed in sharpie. However, many people like ball point sigs on cards believe it or not. I know of a person who only buys ball point signatures because he thinks they seem more vintage. I personally like the way a sharpie sig looks on a card.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagechris View Post
I guess it depends on what a person likes. I would never get a ball signed in sharpie. However, many people like ball point sigs on cards believe it or not. I know of a person who only buys ball point signatures because he thinks they seem more vintage. I personally like the way a sharpie sig looks on a card.
I am not talking preference, I am talking longer lasting, less fading, etc.

I get most of my stuff in silver sharpie now, because I like it.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Anthony

Silver Sharpie is a real nice look on big photos.

I think the answer to which would last longer sharpie vs. ballpoint pen depends on the storage after it has been signed. They should both last equally as long. I have both types in my collection and they both look great. Bottom line keep it out of sunlight.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:12 AM
P.hil €lli$

It really depends on what you are getting signed.

Photos, cards, any paper item, bats, hats, etc. = Sharpie

Baseballs = Ballpoint Pen. I prefer the Bic, blue ink ballpoint that has the clear pen shaft.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Neither is lightfast. "Permanent" means not soluble in water. What you want is "archival" which means it can resist light fading for 100 years or more. If you are really interested in the long-term viability of an autograph and you can control the pen that the signer uses, the Sakura Pigma Micron line is archival.

http://www.sakuraofamerica.com/Pen-Archival

If you can get something signed in pencil, an art pencil conforming to ASTM lightfastness standards is best. The American Society for Testing and Material has developed standard ASTM D-6901 to determine the lightfast level of a color pencil. Luminance 6901 by Caran d’Ache offers a set of 76 colors with 61 colors classified in the best category (Lightfastness I) under standard ASTM D-6901.

A black ballpoint will fade to yellow very quickly, especially if the item is displayed under fluorescent lighting. I have a Nolan Ryan signed baseball in my office that was on display for a few years and that faded to yellow very fast. I can no longer display it. My uncle has a photo autographed by Groucho Marx in ballpoint where the ink is completely gone leaving only the impression of the writing.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-06-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:19 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I think it depends on a few variables.

First is the nature of the item. Balls almost always look better and cleaner with ball point pen. Rarely have I not seen a Sharpie bleed, at least a little, on a ball. Pictures and magazines can go either way. A uniform would most likely be better in sharpie, etc.

Second, is the background that the signature is going on. A ball point signature will be less bold on an item with a very dark background. Sharpie will stand out, and you have the flexibility of using a silver or gold sharpie to make it stand out even more.

Third is viewing issues. If your object is behind glass in a frame, ballpoint may be less viewable, because of the way the glass affects the light. If something is in a binder, viewed up close, that would matter less.

Fourth is the backside of the object. What I mean is that Sharpie will bleed through most more porous paper products. So, if you getting the inner page of a book signed, you have to be aware that the sig might bleed through a little. If there is another pic on the back you want signed, ball point might be better.

Fifth is storage. As noted by Anthony, sunlight will fade most anything. Otherwise, I think it's a toss up.

Lastly is the question of "longer lasting" There is no answer to this question. Ballpoints have been around since the late 1940's. Sharpie's came out in 1964. I think there are sigs of both types that have been around a long time. We certainly know fountain pen can last 100 yrs, when well take care of. I think the factors I listed above probably impact the answers to this question more so than the intrinsic nature of the technology.

I think best option is to collect what you like, not what will last longest.

Best,
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 02-06-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-06-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post

Fifth is storage. As noted by 3and2, sunlight will fade most anything. Otherwise, I think it's a toss up.

Lastly is the question of "longer lasting" There is no answer to this question. Ballpoints have been around since the late 1940's. Sharpie's came out in 1964. I think are sigs of both types that are probably around a long time. We certainly know fountain pen can last 100 yrs, when well take care of. I think the above factors probably impact the answers to your question more so than the intrinsic nature of the technology.

I think best option is to collect what you like, not what will last longest.

Best,
Mark
As usual, Mark is spot-on...
Old 02-06-2010, 09:42 AM

I have seen signature balls from LSU's 2003 NC team that were signed in Sharpie, and the names are barely legible due to bleeding and fading.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Ballpoint Pen is much more desirable.