NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-01-2014, 07:13 AM
€d M!££w00D

Default Thoughts on 1965 Topps Baseball set

As I mentioned in an earlier thread I started, I am working on the 1952 set. I am considering also starting the 1965 set (the year I was born) as a side project to keep some variety in my collecting. I have looked for earlier discussions, but haven't seen much on this set. Before starting, I would like to hear from some of you experienced 60s collectors about what I should be aware of. What are the tough cards, etc.? Thanks

Ed
Old 02-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Erik

Ed, I am not what you would call an advanced collector and I only have a handful of 1965 Topps cards but IMHO this is the nicest set of the decade.

I love the design and color of the set, especially the Giants and Twins cards which are my favorite colors.

For now, I am collecting the All-Star rookie cards from this set and some Hall of Famers but will make a more concerted effort on this set later this year.

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 02-02-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:20 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Default 65

I have put the 65 set together and I think it's an underrated set. I too love the design with the pennant for the team and I think the colors are outstanding. It is not a terribly difficult set to put together, the high #s are plentiful and don't contain much star power, so they can be had cheap. The main challenge is in the HOFers simply due to price. I hope you enjoy putting the set together. Good luck.

Last edited by stlcardsfan; 02-01-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-01-2014, 02:08 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
I have put the 65 set together and I think it's an underrated set. I too love the design with the pennant for the team and I think the colors are outstanding. It is not a terribly difficult set to put together, the high #s are plentiful and don't contain much star power, so they can be had cheap. The main challenge is in the HOFers simply due to price. I hope you enjoy putting the set together. Good luck.

Thanks. That is what I wanted to hear. I read quite a bit about the challenges of the 66 and 69 sets so I am hoping that the 65 cards are a little easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed
Old 02-01-2014, 03:32 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I agree with all...the 65 set is underrated and remarkable looking. The set came together rather quickly for me, as mentioned, the High numbers are rather easy compared to 61, 66, and 67. Even quite a bit easier than 64. You can most likely find a few good hi number lots on the cheap if you look hard enough...I did.

Some of the harder cards I have noticed effect most 65 collectors. There is the obvious cost associated with the Mantle (#350), but the good news is there are plenty out there to pick from in all condition ranges. I was patient and waited for a great EX version on an Ebay bid. Ended up getting 3, haha. I did pick up my EX+ and centered version for $115...a stellar deal. Most in that shape were going for raw $150-225...I was just patient and sniped someone.. Other cards that seem to elude collectors until the end are -

Yogi Berra
Whitey Ford
Mel Stottlemeyer
Ernie Banks
Jim Hunter RC
Tony Perez RC
Bob Uecker

The Stottlemeyer RC was extremely tough to find for the right price in EX+ condition. Lots of OC and dinged up cards out there, and it is a High number.

The Leaders, which are found in the first series and at the beginning of the set, are a bit challenging as well. There are 2 Mantle Leaders, and most are dinged up. Be carefull on those...as well as the WS Mantle card...I had to buy a couple before I was satisfied. I think they just get handled more often than other cards through the years...it is Mantle afterall.

If your picky about centering...I had a difficult time finding the Hank Aaron centered and in EX+ condition. Plenty to choose from, just a lot of OC left to right. The Clemente card is hard to find also in EX+ and centered...a lot of top to bottom OC. Mine is slightly OC top to bottom and I felt like I settled a bit, so I am always watching for those. Killebrew is another hard to find without the left to right OC. For some reason, the 65 Killebrew is a more expensive of the Killer cards (I collect Killer, I have well over 200 Killer base cards, its like a crack addiction to me, lol) and again, tough to find centered. I have 12 65 Killers, and only ONE I would say of mine is dead solid perfect centering.

I'll bring up Eucker again...that was my last card. I kept getting out bid on Ebay, and finally overpaid on a nice BIN. It's a high number and rarely goes on bid. When it does, do your best...

Love the set, and look at mine often! Again, completely underrated and a beautiful design. I think the ease of the High numbers is the reason it doesn't get discussed much here. After going after the 66s, and now working on the 67s, I wasn't complaining about the 65s!!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 02-01-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:05 PM
€d M!££w00D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
I agree with all...the 65 set is underrated and remarkable looking. The set came together rather quickly for me, as mentioned, the High numbers are rather easy compared to 61, 66, and 67. Even quite a bit easier than 64. You can most likely find a few good hi number lots on the cheap if you look hard enough...I did.

Some of the harder cards I have noticed effect most 65 collectors. There is the obvious cost associated with the Mantle (#350), but the good news is there are plenty out there to pick from in all condition ranges. I was patient and waited for a great EX version on an Ebay bid. Ended up getting 3, haha. I did pick up my EX+ and centered version for $115...a stellar deal. Most in that shape were going for raw $150-225...I was just patient and sniped someone.. Other cards that seem to elude collectors until the end are -

Yogi Berra
Whitey Ford
Mel Stottlemeyer
Ernie Banks
Jim Hunter RC
Tony Perez RC
Bob Uecker

The Stottlemeyer RC was extremely tough to find for the right price in EX+ condition. Lots of OC and dinged up cards out there, and it is a High number.

The Leaders, which are found in the first series and at the beginning of the set, are a bit challenging as well. There are 2 Mantle Leaders, and most are dinged up. Be carefull on those...as well as the WS Mantle card...I had to buy a couple before I was satisfied. I think they just get handled more often than other cards through the years...it is Mantle afterall.

If your picky about centering...I had a difficult time finding the Hank Aaron centered and in EX+ condition. Plenty to choose from, just a lot of OC left to right. The Clemente card is hard to find also in EX+ and centered...a lot of top to bottom OC. Mine is slightly OC top to bottom and I felt like I settled a bit, so I am always watching for those. Killebrew is another hard to find without the left to right OC. For some reason, the 65 Killebrew is a more expensive of the Killer cards (I collect Killer, I have well over 200 Killer base cards, its like a crack addiction to me, lol) and again, tough to find centered. I have 12 65 Killers, and only ONE I would say of mine is dead solid perfect centering.

I'll bring up Eucker again...that was my last card. I kept getting out bid on Ebay, and finally overpaid on a nice BIN. It's a high number and rarely goes on bid. When it does, do your best...

Love the set, and look at mine often! Again, completely underrated and a beautiful design. I think the ease of the High numbers is the reason it doesn't get discussed much here. After going after the 66s, and now working on the 67s, I wasn't complaining about the 65s!!
Great info. Thanks

Ed
Old 02-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Rich Klein

I think the middle series of 284-446 are significantly underrated in terms of price and availability.

Rich
Old 02-01-2014, 11:54 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Rich...I'd be interested in hearing any info on your statement and always hold your information in high regard. I looked back at my progression on both sets and sure enough, those numbers were scarce in the lots I purchased. Considerably so. Any more info??

Old 02-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

I completed my '65 set last year. I agree with what most everyone else has said: The Uecker and Hunter RC were especially difficult to find a good deal on.

Although the high numbers aren't as difficult as say 61, 66 or 67; the shear number of them (#371-598 127 cards) makes it somewhat challenging - kind of reminiscent of the '72 set.

The Mantle is a pretty popular card as well and will set you back more than any other mid-late '60s Mantle.

Check out my '65 set here.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Al Richter

Default 1965

Great set. I built mine by buying a series at a time as they were issued by Topps through the Card Collectors Company in NY. Although I am a set and variations collector there are few real variations in the 1965 set. There are some true variations in some of the CLs ( 1 and 7), and each CL can be found with some minor differences.

Jim Kaat had his name misspelled ( Katt) and lew Krause ( 462) is Pete Lovrich. Bob Uecker posted as a left handed hitter, although the way he batted from either side did not seem to matter much. And notice how many poses are capless...with flat and crew cuts .

And the Astrosome was new and the Colt 45s became the Astros, but only later in the set. Early cards just say Houston

I have the following oddities in my set besides checklists

-47 Harper can be found not infrequently with a white s to his right side
-51 Bryan can be found with a white B in his name
-259 Tigers Rookies can be found with various degrees of red in banner
-305 Carty--can be found with blue in border
-367--Wagner--can be found with different blue in borders
-418 Edwards--can be found with yellow swath at bottom border, or break in Reds in banner, or both, or neither

There were inserts in 1965 packs. There is a set of Embossed cards, which like the 1968 Plaks resemble the player depicted only in your imagination. And, the very fragile Transfers. Separately issued were the Topps Push and Pulls with a 3 card baseball subset

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-02-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Bob F.

Ed,

I agree with what others have said--the '65 set is fun to put together, and the high numbers are far easier than '66, '67, or '64. When I put my raw set together, I was lucky enough to stumble on to a local card shop that had just purchased complete high-number runs of '64 and '65 Topps (multiples of each). I wasn't able to be picky about centering, but I got nice fresh copies of almost all of the cards in one feel swoop.

The cards that took me a lot longer were the low and mid numbered Yankee cards, especially the Richardson (second to last card I picked up).

Richie Allen, Bill White, Tony C., Denny McLain, Giants Rookies w/ Murakami, Tony Oliva, Rocky Colavito, Curt Flood, Elston Howard, Yogi Berra, Tug McGraw, and Al Downing were also fairly tough.

Good luck with your set!!!!!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:29 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Nice Bobby R...I love his cards and enjoyed his book. That is another card tough to find centered, and you certainly did!

Thanks Al for the variation list...time to get out my set and doubles and see what I got...haha....

Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Erik

Tony Oliva.jpg

My favorite card of the set. I love the big trophy though it says 1963 NOT 1964 All - Star Rookie.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Jason Albregts

I got lucky in that I picked up a near set at a local auction for $250 (included all the big stars). I've been slowly piecing it out as the Carlton and the Mantle were by targets, but it is a good looking set. As said before, the highs aren't too tough.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Nate Mack

I have had a lot easier time with the 65 set than the 66 or 61 topps sets. The high numbers for the 61, 66, and 67 sets are much more difficult to collect in my opinion. I think the 65 set is a fun set to collect as it is fairly easy compared to most of the other 60's sets and it is one of the nicer looking sets of the 60's... Best of luck with your set!! Go for it!!!
Old 02-03-2014, 10:23 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

It is a nice set, isn't it? 67, 65 and 63 are to me the best looking sets of the 60's.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
It is a nice set, isn't it? 67, 65 and 63 are to me the best looking sets of the 60's.
Hard to argue with those three sets Dave as the best of the 1960's.