NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Default Jackson Beauty Contest

Posted By: Jay Miller

No, this is not a San Francisco pagent. Since REA and Mastro each have a T210 Jackson in their auctions, Mastro's- stained on the back; REA's-heavily creased, I was wondering which the board prefers if the price was the same.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I'd go with the REA version. Normally, stains do not bother me, but the stains on the Mastro card are a little to much.

I buy high and sell low...so therefore I classify myself as "a collector."

Old 04-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I like the Mastro one.

I don't like paper loss on a back... but the stains on the back don't bother me.

I think the front of Mastro presents a lot better.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I guess I'm missing something here because I don't see any heavy creases on th REA Jax. Looks pretty clean to me. I don't think you an get a 40 with heavy creases

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I said the same thing about the REA one until I looked closer. Still a great card but there is a fairly heavy crease from the upper left through his throat area, going diagonally....At first I said I would prefer the REA one but the crease doesn't do good for me, personally, so I will go with the Mastro one, if they were the same price. I would need to see the disparity in prices to see which I would prefer, price dependant, in the end....regards

Old 04-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

If you guys define that as a heavy crease, then I've totally lost touch reality. To me, a heavy crease is on that breaks the surface of card, not one you have to take a second look at in order to notice. I use my 43" HDTV as my monitor and use the DVI connection so I get 720i resolution picture for my computer. This crease is not very apparent with this setting and even less obvious with a standard RGB montior.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

The crease is obviously there but not bad at all imo. When a person refers to a card as being heavily creased it is usually a card that looks a lot worse. Personally I would go for the SGC 40. The SGC 4 has less chipping than the five but has a crease. The PSA 5 has a horrible back, a wrinkle, and a good amount of chipping.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I saw the card at Ft Washington before it was slabbed and the crease was alot more obvious, in my opinion, than it appears to be in the on line image.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

The REA pic is better than the Mastro pic, which makes picking one over the other a little harder.

For pure visual appeal, I like the REA card. Better centering but....that lower right crease bothers me, moreseo than the neck crease. The lower crease breaks the surface while the upper one doesn't look like it does.

The backstain on the Mastro just takes away from the card for me.

My Series 8's have terrible centering, writing on the back or a chuck missing, so maybe i could get over the staining too if i had to.

So, if the money were the same and i thought only of the card as adding to my collection, I'd buy the REA.

If I took into consideration resale, and focus on the holder and not the card (i.e. in resale, despite what most of us focus on, a lot of people will think the PSA 5 Q is more valuable than the SGC 40, now and in the future i think) - I'd buy the Mastro.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rick

I would price a PSA 5 ST as a PSA 3.

I would go with the REA

Old 04-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

GOOD!

I hope ALL of you guys go bid on the REA version and leave me alone as the High Bidder on the Mastro!!!

Old 04-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Fully flexing and stretching my hyperbole, I prefer the Mastronet card, purely for the description: "The purity of the intended hues on the obverse remains unviolated"

Somewhat obtusely, I remain,

Max

The other Joe Jackson...

Old 04-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

I think that they are both great examples and would love to have either of them in my collection.

Personally, I would take the one with the stain on the back because I like the look of the the front better, but I think that the VG 3 example will sell for more than the EX 5 ST because the people who collect graded cards sometimes shy away from cards with qualifiers.

I would also say that I would prefer to have either of these examples than the last one that was aucitoned off that was small and and the wavy cut.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

REA for me the stain is too ugly