NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Default From coolest set to lamest set?

Just picked up a 1965 Topps Embossed Ernie Banks for a friend. A few thoughts--

I have to imagine kids in 1965 thought this was the coolest set ever! Gold baseball cards AND three dimensional. I could TOTALLY see a kid having to trade TWO regular Ernie Banks cards for just one of these embossed ones.

But nowadays, all I can do is hate this set when I look at some of the cards. The players are practically invisible, the likenesses are poor, and the backs are pretty much blank. No bio or stats on the back either.

So this gets my vote for the set that seemed the coolest when it came out but now seems super lame. Any competition for this honor?

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 08-30-2018, 01:38 PM
Chris

1968 Plaks had to have at least seemed cool to kids. Pretty lame though.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:42 PM
David M.

I always thought the 1967 Topps "Who Am I?" set seems like it could be fun when you're a kid, but if the cards aren't scratched they seem lame in a PSA holder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Who Am I Ruth.jpg (79.5 KB, 313 views)
Old 08-30-2018, 03:29 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I would think E91. The first 1908 series was among the first widely distributed sets since the 1880’s, so it probably was the first baseball cards a lot of kids had. Series 2 and 3 using the same images and going generic surely hurt. Today they are generally disliked.

T201 is in a similar boat. I like them, but many of the images barely resemble the player they are supposed to depict. The innovative design must have seemed really cool and different to kids in 1911.

For postwar, I would think Topps checklists. They sell for good money now due to scarcity in unmarked conditions, but I think few actually like them, they just sell to set collectors. At the time, with no Beckett or online checklists, I would have been thrilled to get one so I knew how many cards there were and who was in the current series. The amount of marked checklists out there indicates many kids of the time sure made use of them
Old 08-30-2018, 03:33 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

These are great candidates! And yeah, those checklists used to be essential!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 08-30-2018, 04:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I'll throw in the 1981 Fleer and Donruss sets. When they suddenly appeared out of nowhere it was hella cool having more than just Topps out there, and we had no idea what kind of cards would be included. They didn't follow the long established Topps guidelines of what a set should look like. I still love them to this day due to nostalgia, but holy heck, the blurry, out of focus shots of Fleer and the tissue paper thin Donruss stock make these an abomination!! (Still love them though.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:02 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

81 Fleer and Donruss is a great one.

Another candidate - 1952 Red Man. Not an expert on how they were received st the time, but they seem to have been popular and featured colorful, great artwork of most of the big stars. That Red Man reused the same images for 4 straight years has greatly hurt the appeal of all the sets today

As a 90’s kid, a lot of the fanciful 90’s cards definitely belong. Fleer Metal, Pacific Crown Royale (most pacific sets, really) were beloved by the kids in my town. Shiny, die cuts, we thought they were awesome. Those colorful inserts every set seemed to have that were pretty tough pulls back then (1:72 and such) got us excited. Today, this stuff is seen as shiny crap by most collectors of even modern material

Last edited by G1911; 08-30-2018 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Correcting a typo
Old 08-30-2018, 07:36 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

The late 1980's topps big cards and 3ds seemed cool at first, but then were shunned pretty hard.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:47 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

1992 Topps Kids, looked cool for 10 seconds and then you realized they were terrible.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Not quite an answer to the question posed, but along the same lines, game used cards in general.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:06 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Am wondering about 1975 Topps Minis. I didn't start collecting till 1978 but at the time these lil suckers seemed to carry extra appeal. Nowadays they seem kinda pointless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Old 08-30-2018, 09:24 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
I'll throw in the 1981 Fleer and Donruss sets. When they suddenly appeared out of nowhere it was hella cool having more than just Topps out there, and we had no idea what kind of cards would be included. They didn't follow the long established Topps guidelines of what a set should look like. I still love them to this day due to nostalgia, but holy heck, the blurry, out of focus shots of Fleer and the tissue paper thin Donruss stock make these an abomination!! (Still love them though.)
agreed!

I thought this was the coolest card ever when it came out

TripleThreat.jpg

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-30-2018, 09:34 PM

1991 Topps Stadium Club
Old 08-30-2018, 10:35 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
agreed!

I thought this was the coolest card ever when it came out

Attachment 327332
I still like the 1981 Fleer cards. Now the 1981 Bowman's are terrible. But I thought that even when they were issued.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:24 PM

From coolest to lamest during my childhood, my thoughts immediately went to the 1964 Topps coins inserted one to a wax pack. Particularly, the first 120 coins, with regular backgrounds. Then, in only one year, Topps inserted those ugly, pathetic, and downright lame Embossed cards in their 1965 wax packs. As a child I thought they were horrible. For whatever reason, I saved them, but never, ever did I cherish any of them.

Fast forward to about 1973, and as a 19-year old, I was attending the huge Midwest Sports Collectors Convention, in Troy, Michigan. At this point, among many interests, I was purchasing any Topps coin I did not have, of those early series, or perhaps the #1-120 coins were only in just the first series wax. Anyway, a dealer was there with some of the '64 coins. I had no checklist; so if I spotted a coin that looked unfamiliar to me, I bought it. He had Mickey Mantle among his coins. I had never seen a Mickey Mantle in the '64 Topps 1-120 coins; I had both the blue background All-Star coins, but this one was a total surprise.

Just a buck, and that Mick was mine! One of my many favorite purchases during that glorious convention. I need to have PSA grade it, regardless of what their grader gives it, since I know it's in great condition, and the holder will protect it.

Oh, and you could just bet a bucket of buzzards I didn't buy any of those '65 Topps Embossed!

'Nuf said. Y'all have a nice Labor Day weekend!

---Brian Powell
Old 09-01-2018, 05:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
From coolest to lamest during my childhood, my thoughts immediately went to the 1964 Topps coins inserted one to a wax pack. Particularly, the first 120 coins, with regular backgrounds. Then, in only one year, Topps inserted those ugly, pathetic, and downright lame Embossed cards in their 1965 wax packs. As a child I thought they were horrible. For whatever reason, I saved them, but never, ever did I cherish any of them.

Fast forward to about 1973, and as a 19-year old, I was attending the huge Midwest Sports Collectors Convention, in Troy, Michigan. At this point, among many interests, I was purchasing any Topps coin I did not have, of those early series, or perhaps the #1-120 coins were only in just the first series wax. Anyway, a dealer was there with some of the '64 coins. I had no checklist; so if I spotted a coin that looked unfamiliar to me, I bought it. He had Mickey Mantle among his coins. I had never seen a Mickey Mantle in the '64 Topps 1-120 coins; I had both the blue background All-Star coins, but this one was a total surprise.

Just a buck, and that Mick was mine! One of my many favorite purchases during that glorious convention. I need to have PSA grade it, regardless of what their grader gives it, since I know it's in great condition, and the holder will protect it.

Oh, and you could just bet a bucket of buzzards I didn't buy any of those '65 Topps Embossed!

'Nuf said. Y'all have a nice Labor Day weekend!

---Brian Powell
65 was my first year. The Embossed were awful, no definition to the faces. 68 Topps Game were awful too. Back then my friends and I also had these little HOF statuettes, seeing them now most of them are just terrible likenesses.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Mike

What about Sportsflic cards, which I think were super-hot for about 3 months in 1987, and then super cold. I remember reading Beckett Monthly guides on "what's hot" and "what's not", and I'm pretty sure in 1 or 2 months, Sportsflics were #3 hot and #1 cold, or something crazy like that
Old 09-02-2018, 10:22 AM

Agree with Peter and Brian, those 65 Topps Embossed cards were never cool. They were always lame. The other insert from 1965 was the cool one, the 1965 Topps Transfers. We all had t-shirts with them all over them. Today they aren't very collectible.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:53 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

To me, the problem with inserts was always the set size. In the late 70's/early 80's Topps hockey cards had cool inserts of the top players, and we ended up with 100 of each, because they didn't offer too many different players.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:23 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Have to agree on the '81 Donruss. I thought the Fleer cards were OK, but Oh, those Donruss. Horrible, blurry photos, terrible distribution and the gum always stuck to the cards. All hat, no cattle; at least in 1981.

Also, I thought the Topps Stadium Club cards did not age well. They were one of the first 'premium' card sets from Topps and people chased them down in every mini-mart and corner drug store in America. They just don't hold up well.

And don't forget the Starting Lineup figures of the late 80's. Again, they were hugely popular at the time, but look almost cartoonish now.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 09-02-2018 at 07:24 PM.